Battery Life Is A Beast

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
How are you getting that? I got 8.5 hours and thats with nearly everything off. And airplane mode. What build are you on ?

Posted via the Android Central App

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Guys, it all depends on how you're using the phone. I have the regular S7, and if you're using it to continuously navigate with GPS enabled on maximum screen brightness, you'll only get about 3-4 hours SOT. If you're using it continuously to run chess engines against each other (or other intensive gaming etc), you'll also only get about 3-4 hours SOT.

But if you're using it to watch video continuously, you'll get over 12 hours SOT easily. I'm currently playing a movie which has been running for over 2 hours, and it's only used 13% battery (no power savers enabled, WiFi is enabled etc). That's about 2 hours of SOT per 10%, which translates to about 20 hours SOT if I watched movie after movie. Now I'm watching it in the dark, so it would be a lot less SOT with maximum brightness, but I would have thought it would still be over 12 hours SOT.

So I think people really need to describe exactly what they are doing with their phones when they post battery times. But I can guarantee that those getting over 5-6 hours SOT are certainly not gaming continuously for 5 hours.

Furthermore, people need to post whether they have Always On Display (AOD) enabled or not. This will give a good reflection of standby times. With AOD disabled, I'm only noticing about 3% drain per eight hours (or about total 0.4% drain per hour). With AOD enabled, I'm noticing double that drain, or about 0.8% per hour. Not huge differences, but it adds up significantly over a day or so. For example, over 24 hours, standby drain would only be about 10% with AOD disabled. With AOD enabled, it would be 20%, which is a significant 10% difference.

Last edited:

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully this drives home the above points - over 12 hours SOT and still 20% left:
Screenshot_20160611-203217.jpg
Screenshot_20160611-203224.jpg

Majority of use was movie watching, but also did some screen mirroring with a big screen TV, several shots with the camera, a few short video recordings, and brief periods of on-demand Wi-Fi surfing. AOD enabled the entire time. GPS and Mobile data disabled the entire time. No gaming.

And this is with the regular S7 (Exynos of course). With the S7 Edge, I'd expect to still be around 25-30% left. And if I was using Flight mode, it'd probably be even better.

Ultimate point is that posting a screenshot of your SOT without describing what you're doing with the phone is relatively meaningless. I mean, I could probably get 40+ hours SOT by having a black screen on all the time with Flight mode enabled. But I'd probably get less than 2 hours SOT if I had GPS enabled and continuously navigating with maximum screen brightness, while also continuously running chess engines in the background at the same time.

Last edited:

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I just got my S7 edge a few days ago and I am very disappointed in the battery life. I can't even get through an 8 hour day at work.... And I'm barely using the phone because Internet is non existent while in the building. So I only use it whole on break or lunch or if I skip away to get a raid in on clash of clans... What gives?

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'd like to see a phone that doesn't drain hard while gaming? It depends what game you're playing too I guess. For example, running chess engines continuously work the battery as the CPU is put under a constant heavy load.

You mention you can't get through 8 hours with "barely" using your phone. This would suggest something is sucking your battery in the background while your phone should be on idle? Perhaps you have multiple apps (like Facebook) that are trying to sync or connect to the internet but can't? Even then, I find it hard to understand why people are reporting such "terrible" battery life while not doing anything intensive with the phone. Probably best to describe every single app you've installed, what you have automatically syncing/updating, and exactly what activities you're doing (including what tools are enabled as I've described above eg. is GPS/AOD/Mobile data enabled?).

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, here is a pic off all my apps.... Most of the time I'm on my phone, (when I can get a signal) I'm either playing CoC, or surfing the Web... I do watch a lot of YouTube videos as well. However, as I mentioned before, I don't get a signal at all when at work.... (t-mobile tech support is working on that)

Soni would say that I'm on my phone a total of two hours at work.. 30 min lunch two 15 min. Breaks... Sneaky "bathroom break" to... Etc..

I have never had a phone that could get me through the day... Which is why I always bought a phone with a replaceable battery.. I until now..

Attachments

• 1465692790657.jpg
    1465692790657.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 61

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Full battery stats for yet another day over nine hours. I played some games but not long enough to show up in the battery settings. But a lot of Facebook and Twitter. I posted again due to people saying I didn't share my stats properly

Attachments

• 1465700663329.jpg
    1465700663329.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1465700674348.jpg
    1465700674348.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1465700686438.jpg
    1465700686438.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1465700694738.jpg
    1465700694738.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got my S7 edge a few days ago and I am very disappointed in the battery life. I can't even get through an 8 hour day at work.... And I'm barely using the phone because Internet is non existent while in the building. So I only use it whole on break or lunch or if I skip away to get a raid in on clash of clans... What gives?
Wow that's bad. I play COC, Boom Beach and Clash Royale during breaks on my S7 Edge and average battery life is 16hrs (5hrs SOT) with internet always connected alternating between WiFi and 4G (yes I'm online 24/7).

The signal will also have something to do with it though. A particularly bad signal can kill your battery. Or a rogue app. Can you post your battery stats?

Are you using the Exynos version or the SnapDragon?

On a sidenote, I did enable power saving for games with the Game Tools app. I mean why would I need 60fps and full CPU power for CoC?

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, here is a pic off all my apps.... Most of the time I'm on my phone, (when I can get a signal) I'm either playing CoC, or surfing the Web... I do watch a lot of YouTube videos as well. However, as I mentioned before, I don't get a signal at all when at work.... (t-mobile tech support is working on that)

Soni would say that I'm on my phone a total of two hours at work.. 30 min lunch two 15 min. Breaks... Sneaky "bathroom break" to... Etc..

I have never had a phone that could get me through the day... Which is why I always bought a phone with a replaceable battery.. I until now..

I can't really see much from this screenshot, but it looks like you've got about 100 extra apps installed? If so, I'm sure many of them would be running in the background and sucking battery (?unnecessarily). What apps do you really require to be running in the background etc? Perhaps you could configure them so they aren't running in the background? A screenshot of your battery stats and app % would also be useful.

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site

Just can't make out anything from that photo. Photo doesn't allow us to even zoom. Anyhow, i think your phone is fine. what you need to do is a factory reset. Once you have done this, then disable all the bloatware that you don't need. if you don't mind, then disable AOD also.

Lastly install apps that you only need. If i could see that picture properly then maybe i could point out a rogue app. At work are you on wifi? if not then a bad tmobile signal can make your battery drain like crazy. Post back. Curious to hear and want to help you solve this

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Guys, it all depends on how you're using the phone. I have the regular S7, and if you're using it to continuously navigate with GPS enabled on maximum screen brightness, you'll only get about 3-4 hours SOT. If you're using it continuously to run chess engines against each other (or other intensive gaming etc), you'll also only get about 3-4 hours SOT.

But if you're using it to watch video continuously, you'll get over 12 hours SOT easily. I'm currently playing a movie which has been running for over 2 hours, and it's only used 13% battery (no power savers enabled, WiFi is enabled etc). That's about 2 hours of SOT per 10%, which translates to about 20 hours SOT if I watched movie after movie. Now I'm watching it in the dark, so it would be a lot less SOT with maximum brightness, but I would have thought it would still be over 12 hours SOT.

So I think people really need to describe exactly what they are doing with their phones when they post battery times. But I can guarantee that those getting over 5-6 hours SOT are certainly not gaming continuously for 5 hours.

Furthermore, people need to post whether they have Always On Display (AOD) enabled or not. This will give a good reflection of standby times. With AOD disabled, I'm only noticing about 3% drain per eight hours (or about total 0.4% drain per hour). With AOD enabled, I'm noticing double that drain, or about 0.8% per hour. Not huge differences, but it adds up significantly over a day or so. For example, over 24 hours, standby drain would only be about 10% with AOD disabled. With AOD enabled, it would be 20%, which is a significant 10% difference.

What this man said. Exactly my point. If AOD is disabled and i sleep for 8 hours then i loose anywhere between 4-5 % but with A0D enabled then easily 8 -10% loss over 8 hours. AOD isn't that efficient as Samsung would say

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
What this man said. Exactly my point. If AOD is disabled and i sleep for 8 hours then i loose anywhere between 4-5 % but with A0D enabled then easily 8 -10% loss over 8 hours. AOD isn't that efficient as Samsung would say

AOD is always switched off on my phone because I'm permanently on power saving mode

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Looks just right. Samsung did say that their AOD looks at 1% per hour on initial release. Looks like they lowered it to 0.5% per hour in your case.

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just can't make out anything from that photo. Photo doesn't allow us to even zoom. Anyhow, i think your phone is fine. what you need to do is a factory reset. Once you have done this, then disable all the bloatware that you don't need. if you don't mind, then disable AOD also.

Lastly install apps that you only need. If i could see that picture properly then maybe i could point out a rogue app. At work are you on wifi? if not then a bad tmobile signal can make your battery drain like crazy. Post back. Curious to hear and want to help you solve this

These are always the suggestions folks give me when I'm trying to save battery life.... Or at least get what the manufacture is claiming I can get... Turn your wonderful phone into an ordinary pathetic phone by disabling evening that sets the phone apart..

No thanks! I'm busy continue to carry a charger everywhere I go and enjoy all the special features that this phone has.... Who cares if I get 24 hours battery life on a brick... I don't.. Appreciate the suggestions though.. Really.

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Here is a pic with being on the phone today for just under 4hrs...as you can see I'm already at 66%....

Attachments

• 1465758843506.jpg
    1465758843506.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 36

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Click screen to see the on time. Seems like that's the biggest consumer, along with internet. If you were continuously browsing during that 4hrs with the screen on, using 4G, that would explain a lot of the usage, especially with poor signal.

penningtonsm

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As you can see, just about 2 1/2 hours screen on time.... Not a beast at all..... At least not my phone

Attachments

• 1465786918282.jpg
    1465786918282.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 28

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'd say it's "not a beast at all" with your type of use and the installed applications you have. But then that would apply to any other (comparable) phone.

Perhaps you should have gotten the S6 or S7 Active? Their batteries sound like true "beasts"!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie