I am a newly converted android user switching for and iPhone 6S plus to a Galaxy S7 Edge!

I have been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3GS and have only ever used an android very briefly with the Galaxy S2 which I didn't like so went back to iPhone.

I have an S7 Edge arriving tomorrow and I am wondering if anyone here can offer me any tips in regards to the switch over process or maybe some helpful tips on configuring my device for optimal performance.

I've gone all out and have already ordered a case and screen protectors for the device as well as a wireless charger.

My S7 edge is not tied to a network, it was purchased directly from Samsung unlocked.

Also, how long does it take Samsung to push out updates to their phones once they're available? I'm used to very regular updates on iOS.

So no one thinks I'm trolling:

06-07-2016 02:20 PM
    Updates depend on what sim card you use as they are network dependant.

As for performance the phone is damn fast and runs everything fast. However, there is an option under developer options to turn down animations which is supposed to speed up screen refreshes but I haven't noticed any difference.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.
    06-07-2016 06:43 PM
    Updates are not network dependent if the phone was bought directly from Samsung, hence no network would have control over it.

Samsung updates are region based. So some countries will get it before others. Depending on the extent of the update, you may look at it 2mos after Google releases the final base version for the Nexus models. Phones are typically good for 2 years worth of updates.
    06-07-2016 07:09 PM
    Updates are not network dependent if the phone was bought directly from Samsung, hence no network would have control over it.

Samsung updates are region based. So some countries will get it before others. Depending on the extent of the update, you may look at it 2mos after Google releases the final base version for the Nexus models. Phones are typically good for 2 years worth of updates.
    I have a S7 Edge on Vodafone and a S7 on Three. Updates are network dependant unless he is never going to put a sim card in it.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge
    06-07-2016 11:11 PM
    I have a S7 Edge on Vodafone and a S7 on Three. Updates are network dependant unless he is never going to put a sim card in it.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge
    Did you get the phones from Vodaphone and 3 themselves? I've gotten Samsung devices since 7 years ago from physical Samsung stores and not tied to carriers, and they get updates whatever network sim I have on the phone. They are network dependent only if the phone is network branded. For example, a phone acquired from TMobile, even if unlocked, will need an update to come from TMobile. On the other hand, a phone directly acquired from Samsung will not care what SIM card is on the phone. The networks cannot push an update to it if the phone isn't part of the handsets they modified for their networks.

Think of it this way: if that phone did not come from a network, then the network does not know what it's IMEI is, and hence, it will not be listed among the devices it can send updates to. SIMs don't send IMEI to the network. In essense the network does not know your phone exists. How would they even send an update to it?
    06-08-2016 12:03 AM
    I've an unlocked one and I'm on the April security patch and it's June.

It's Samsung. Normally their idea of a system update is buying the next model of device.
    06-08-2016 12:15 AM
    Android updates aren't like Apples. Apple usually push out one major update with lots of bugs and then keep pushing out tiny updates to iron them out.

Android updates aren't like that. They're mostly stable. That's why they're a few of them. So you don't have to worry about them. Its going to be interesting to see when Samsung will update to Android N. It's yet to be seen. So you're with us all.

I think they'll do it earlier than usual this year.

And the updates are region based. If you have an unlocked phone you'll be the first to get one.

If updates are important to you, get a nexus. Otherwise like I said they aren't as important as Apple updates because Apple constantly tries to iron out major bugs. There aren't many in Android. And most of the features of Android N are already present in Marshmallow running on a Samsung.

I follow everythingapplepro and watch his videos on every apple update. And I see clearly how different the update processes are on both platforms. They don't fix everything in one update. They drag it on. Android pushes out one major fix and that's it. Mostly.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-08-2016 01:07 AM