What's the camera like compared to the current Lumia 950, thinking about switching to Samsung

zlx

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I've got a Lumia 950 XL. The 'App-Gap' was not a problem at all for me until recently. Now some apps that I use very often are not beeing supported/developed anymore, which really makes me thinking about switching to a Galaxy 7 Edge.

Now I'm sure this has been discussed before, but in these hundreds of thousands threads I couldn't find an answer - the search shows lots of threads, but not the one I'm looking for...

I really love the Lumia Camera: doing jpg and raw files at the same time, having lovely camera apps, having access to white balance, shutter speed, ISO and focus directly on the screen (and not hidden in some stupid settings menus), and of course the brilliant picture quality.

Is there a camera comparison somewhere that could help me make my decision?

Anyone else here switched from Lumia to Samsung? If so, what else is much different that made your decision a difficult one? I use Android tablets, so I know a little bit about this OS ;-)

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Green Samot

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've come from the 930 (before that the 925, HTC 8x). I had the S6 edge last year and the camera on that was better than the 930. Now i have the S7 and the camera is better still. I know the 950 has a good camera as I was looking at that before I got my s6. From what I've read and seen, while the 950 is good, the S7 is better.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
cool, thanks :)

(still depends who made the video - an Android employee? :) )
Android people don't make phones. They just make the software which is available for any manufacturer to use as their OS. Android employees aren't part of the Samsung team. There's really no reason for them to promote one phone over the other. Even manufacturers of Android phones are in competition with one another, so there's really no point in worrying if maybe an Android employee making a biased review against the Windows phone. Plus the quality differences is right there in the pictures for you to see.

Plus, why would they even bother promoting Android over the 950 when Windows sales in the phone department are abysmal. And there are a ton of reviews in the internet covering how better the GS7 camera is over the iPhone, so another one won't really matter.

Michael MCATEE

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
This might help...

Best smartphone cameras: Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 6s vs. Nexus 6P vs. Lumia 950 http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-showdown-s7-vs-6s-vs-6p-vs-950

I had the 1020 and the 1520..along with the LG g4 and the LG v10..and now I have the S7e.

Getting to the controls is easy on the Edge tap on mode then select Pro mode

There are always going to be trade offs for the cameras so don't stress over it. The camera is only 1 aspect to consider when choosing a new device and there is so much more you can do with the Edge over the 950 to customize it to your liking..

I'm really very happy with how good the camera is on the Edge as compared to the others

Posted from my AT&T S7 Edge

zlx

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
This might help...

Best smartphone cameras: Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 6s vs. Nexus 6P vs. Lumia 950 Best smartphone cameras: Galaxy S7 vs. iPhone 6s vs. Nexus 6P vs. Lumia 950 | Android Central

thanks for the link!

Getting to the controls is easy on the Edge tap on mode then select Pro mode
yeah, that's great, I saw that in the video posted above, looks really good

There are always going to be trade offs for the cameras so don't stress over it. The camera is only 1 aspect to consider when choosing a new device and there is so much more you can do with the Edge over the 950 to customize it to your liking..
I know, it's only 1 aspect, but for me a very important one ;-) Can you do raw format pictures with the S7?

zlx

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
thanks for replying. I found in the review you posted that the S7 can do RAW format images as well. Still, I'll miss the dedicated camera button and the fantastic start screen customisation.

But at the end of the day, you can't have everything...

Michael MCATEE

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
thanks for replying. I found in the review you posted that the S7 can do RAW format images as well. Still, I'll miss the dedicated camera button and the fantastic start screen customisation.

True...

The thing about most Android phones..at least the S7e is that it is a pretty awesome phone that really blows away the competition on the majority of everyday things.

While I do enjoy the camera I use my phone for so much more nowadays I seldom use my dslr or my tablet but I still can if the need arises. It's really that good of phone. It's not perfect but for my needs it does exactly what I need it to do...and this is what you have to figure out what your really wanting it to do.

There is always going to be a learning curve and some trade offs,but I can say that it's not as bad as it could be.

Good luck with your choice

Posted from my AT&T S7 Edge

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site

I have an Icon that I used as my daily driver for a couple of years till I got my s7e and thought I would miss the dedicated camera button also but it turned out that I had nothing to worry about because the home button double tap to wake the camera on the s7e is just as fast imho as it was to use the dedicated button on my Icon.

I miss the live tiles also and prefer them to the more static droid screens but the access to any apps or service I could ever want and the great hardware of the s7e has made me very happy with my decision to jump back onto droid after being away for a couple of years.

zlx

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
... decision to jump back onto droid after being away for a couple of years.

hmm same here, but not decided yet...

So it seems the start screen customization and the live tiles will be the only things I'll miss...

And the USB-C connection!

HmmHmmmmmm

Thanks for all your input folks, I really appreciate it!

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Iam using s7 edge and lumia 950...well both are great cameras..
But for night shots with flash lumia 950 kills the s7 edge..but during day and night pics without flash both are very good...

Posted via my Awesome Lumia 950 , Beautiful S7 Edge Gold or Surface pro 4