04-01-2017 09:03 PM
35 12
tools
    Since my Galaxy S7 Edge received the Marshmallow 6.0.1 up grade I am unable to unlock my phone using my fingerprint. I get a warning 'Enter PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition because of security policy'. It does work but only very rarely. I now have to use my PIN. This was not the case before the upgrade when I hardly every had to enter my PIN.
    06-09-2016 11:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, go to Settings>Security and see what happens if you Clear Credentials. If that doesn't help, then try removing your fingerprints from memory, then set up the fingerprint unlock again.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    06-09-2016 05:35 PM
    are you using Nova Launcher?
    06-10-2016 02:53 PM
    How are you turning the screen off? If you are using any third-party method then it will require a pin
    06-11-2016 12:22 AM
    are you using Nova Launcher?
    How are you turning the screen off? If you are using any third-party method then it will require a pin
    I am using Nova Launcher and I'm getting the, "Enter PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition because of security policy." issue.

Is this solvable without ditching Nova Launcher?
    06-27-2016 07:34 AM
    I am using Nova Launcher and I'm getting the, "Enter PIN instead of using fingerprint recognition because of security policy." issue.

Is this solvable without ditching Nova Launcher?
    You can use Nova launcher, just turn the phone screen off with the power button. It should now turn on using fingerprint.
    06-27-2016 07:49 AM
    You can use Nova launcher, just turn the phone screen off with the power button. It should now turn on using fingerprint.
    When the phone locks itself, it asks for the PIN.

Any ideas?
    pblakk likes this.
    06-27-2016 08:21 AM
    When the phone locks itself, it asks for the PIN.

Any ideas?
    It is probably related to some third party app. Mine works fine with screen timeout.

If you can't figure out which app, you can backup any important data and do a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have the same problem.
    06-27-2016 08:24 AM
    if you have Nova set as an administrator on your phone, that's the cause of the problem.

i don't use Nova, but there are several thread in the forum that talk about this issue. you may need to search a bit to see if you can find the resolution.
    06-27-2016 08:43 AM
    if you have Nova set as an administrator on your phone, that's the cause of the problem.

i don't use Nova, but there are several thread in the forum that talk about this issue. you may need to search a bit to see if you can find the resolution.
    I have Nova set as device administrator and fps works fine. About the only issue with Nova is if you set a gesture to turn the screen off, and use the gesture to turn the screen off then it will require pin /password. You can have it set in the settings but use the power button to turn off and it should work fine
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    06-27-2016 09:44 AM
    Why doesn't the fingerprint unlock work after upgrade to Marshmallow 6.0.1?-screenshot_20160627-154748.png
    pblakk likes this.
    06-27-2016 09:49 AM
    You can try to disable Nova from device administrator. I don't think it will make a difference, so long as you use the power button to turn off... But you can try.
    06-27-2016 04:31 PM
    You can try to disable Nova from device administrator. I don't think it will make a difference, so long as you use the power button to turn off... But you can try.
    Didn't work
    06-28-2016 08:22 AM
    Didn't work
    Which is what I thought... Probably some other third party app.
    06-28-2016 10:08 AM
    I am just wondering King Mustard, what application has the "Screen Notifications" Admin Rights?
    07-03-2016 08:01 PM
    If you are using any third-party method then it will require a pin
    Huh?? What's that got to do with unlocking?
    Thank you Google for making the fingerprint reader useless. You keep making getting into the phone more and more cumbersome. First there was swiping to get the unlock pad, now can't use fingerprint. Pretty soon everyone will dump screen locks and have wide-open phones anyone can get into. Congratulations on making Android less secure.
    pblakk likes this.
    07-13-2016 09:05 AM
    Huh?? What's that got to do with unlocking?
    Thank you Google for making the fingerprint reader useless. You keep making getting into the phone more and more cumbersome. First there was swiping to get the unlock pad, now can't use fingerprint. Pretty soon everyone will dump screen locks and have wide-open phones anyone can get into. Congratulations on making Android less secure.
    Using a third party locker liks a screen lock app or Tasker, is considered unsecure, since that's how ransomware can affect you, or get your fingerprint data. Hence fingerprint is disabled for instances where a third party is used to lock the screen.
    pblakk likes this.
    07-14-2016 12:01 AM
    I'm not using a 3rd party locker. Only a 3rd party activation of the standard locker. If the API for activating lock gives access to credentials that's an API that's so far beyond broken....
    07-14-2016 04:45 PM
    I'm not using a 3rd party locker. Only a 3rd party activation of the standard locker. If the API for activating lock gives access to credentials that's an API that's so far beyond broken....
    That still counts. Basically, you can't use a third party to activate the lock anymore.
    07-15-2016 06:31 AM
    hi chanchan05, this third party app name quick gesture work with fingerprint on 6.0+, you may try it out
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...virtualgesture
    czechberry likes this.
    09-30-2016 10:09 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, go to Settings>Security and see what happens if you Clear Credentials. If that doesn't help, then try removing your fingerprints from memory, then set up the fingerprint unlock again.
    On 6.0.1 10/1/16 update, Settings>Security is no longer present. I went into Settings>Lock Screen and Security (is this what you meant?) but there is no entry for Clear Credentials.

I have removed and reset fingerprints several times and since the October update, it rarely works, maybe 5% of the time. It's a great feature but useless if it doesn't recognize me.

Would you please try it again on the same Android version and update these instructions?
    Thanks.
    03-22-2017 11:37 AM
    And I am not using any 3rd-party launcher.
    03-22-2017 11:38 AM
    On 6.0.1 10/1/16 update, Settings>Security is no longer present. I went into Settings>Lock Screen and Security (is this what you meant?) but there is no entry for Clear Credentials.
    Is there an Other Security heading in that menu? Like with the S7? Device Security - Samsung Galaxy S7 edge User Guide

Sorry, but I don't have an S6 with Marshmallow. I'm just suggesting things that most (if not all) Android devices have -- but different phones may have these items in different menu locations. And some manufacturers or carriers block certain features, for whatever reason.
    03-22-2017 12:37 PM
    Is there an Other Security heading in that menu? Like with the S7? Device Security - Samsung Galaxy S7 edge User Guide

Sorry, but I don't have an S6 with Marshmallow. I'm just suggesting things that most (if not all) Android devices have -- but different phones may have these items in different menu locations. And some manufacturers or carriers block certain features, for whatever reason.
    There is an entry called Other Security, and it contains Clear Credentials--which is grayed out so I can't press it.
    03-22-2017 02:27 PM
    Just to be clear -- your issue is that your fingerprint sensor never seems to recognize you, is that correct? This is a somewhat older thread, so I just want to make sure your issue isn't different from the original post.
    03-22-2017 05:41 PM
35 12