10-12-2016 05:19 PM
50 12
tools
    After listening to my week old s7e with some normal ear buds I finally could hear how bad this AT&T phone sounded. My aptx bt headphones sounded pretty good but after researching this a little further found that the headphones were smoothing things out a great deal which I didn't realize.

WoW...it's exactly what everyone else has been saying..so bad in fact I don't think I can honestly keep it.

Thanks Jerry for pointing this out..

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-11-2016 12:07 PM
    Don't let this make you get rid of the phone if you like everything else. You've already noticed that Bluetooth headphones sound good enough. Use those for music and videos. For general system sounds, the audio quality isn't a big deal.

I say this because the S7edge really is one of the best phones money can buy right now. There's a good chance that if you try something else you aren't going to like it nearly as much as the s7e. I don't like the audio, but that wouldn't keep me from using it daily.
    Laura Knotek and Tatt2014 like this.
    06-11-2016 12:25 PM
    Jerry is right. The S7e is the king of all phone right now. Audio is disappointing but everything else works great.
    Tatt2014 likes this.
    06-11-2016 01:41 PM
    Too late.......

While it's a great phone for lot's of things, I am really ticked off about this and it has soured my whole perception of it. I don't always use Bluetooth headsets, and really like my various ear buds...

06-11-2016 02:18 PM
    Understandable.

In that case, know that while the G5 is a little better, it's still not as good as the previous models. The HTC 10 and LG V10 have incredible audio, but suffer from other issues. The Nexus phones have mediocre audio — better than the S7, but not anything close to great. Same goes for the iPhones. They're OK, but not amazing.

It's tough buying a phone and finding just the right mix of features you want. Here's hoping the next Note gets close.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-11-2016 02:36 PM
    I don't notice anything bad with audio on my phone. Works perfect with or without headphones. I truly don't notice anything bad about the audio quality - it's clear and loud as it should be, but maybe because I don't see reason to criticize because it's due to the waterproofing of the phone. Maybe my ears are unable to detect what everyone else is hearing - to me the audio is good.
    Alan Sims and Tatt2014 like this.
    06-11-2016 02:39 PM
    I am no audiophile so I'm kind of grateful I can't pick those out. I'm listening to BT in the car right now (no worries parked waiting on the gf to snag something from target) and I'm okay.
    06-11-2016 02:49 PM
    Apart from initially covering the speaker with my little finger 90% of the time I've no audio issues with the phone, though I've never used headphones so I can't comment on that. Bluetooth quality to the car is excellent though.

Probably right to get rid if headphones are what you want though. There'll always be a trade-off but there's always one out there that will tick all your boxes.
    06-11-2016 02:50 PM
    I am no audiophile so I'm kind of grateful I can't pick those out. I'm listening to BT in the car right now (no worries parked waiting on the gf to snag something from target) and I'm okay.
    Bluetooth audio skips the digital to analog conversion done by the Snapdragon 820. A BT unit — whether it be a car head unit or a set of headphones — has its own converter and amp, and even an average setup is better than the DAC on the S7. In fact, some BT headphones have really good DAC and amp packages in them, and the only limitation is because BT uses lossy compressed files.

The S7 uses the latest version of the Bluetooth stack and APT-X, so Bluetooth audio is really good. The complaints are from folks like me who use high-end headphones that plug into the 3.5mm jack. Samsung just didn't do enough on the mainboard to compensate for electrical noise and the audio is pretty crummy on the Snapdragon 820 models.
    Laura Knotek, sangs and Almeuit like this.
    06-11-2016 02:55 PM
    The complaints are from folks like me who use high-end headphones that plug into the 3.5mm jack. Samsung just didn't do enough on the mainboard to compensate for electrical noise and the audio is pretty crummy on the Snapdragon 820 models.
    And like me, who uses an audio in cable to connect my Edge to a radio in our kitchen (no bluetooth). You can't hear a damn thing unless you crank the volume way, way up. And, of course, nobody remembers to turn the volume way, way down when the Edge is disconnected, so when FM or AM is engaged, well, it's loud. PITA.
    06-11-2016 03:16 PM
    Bluetooth audio skips the digital to analog conversion done by the Snapdragon 820. A BT unit — whether it be a car head unit or a set of headphones — has its own converter and amp, and even an average setup is better than the DAC on the S7. In fact, some BT headphones have really good DAC and amp packages in them, and the only limitation is because BT uses lossy compressed files.

The S7 uses the latest version of the Bluetooth stack and APT-X, so Bluetooth audio is really good. The complaints are from folks like me who use high-end headphones that plug into the 3.5mm jack. Samsung just didn't do enough on the mainboard to compensate for electrical noise and the audio is pretty crummy on the Snapdragon 820 models.
    Ah okay -- didn't know that. Thanks Jerry! .
    06-11-2016 07:28 PM
    The exynos version has really good audio output. Not sure of the snapdragon.
    06-11-2016 07:51 PM
    Doesn't the Exynos version still have a separate Wolfson DAC like the S6 Exynos units had?

06-11-2016 08:17 PM
    On a related note, since music, call quality, screen, and camera are the most important aspects of a cell phone to me, I did go check out the HTC 10 a week ago. Its sound is amazing, but it's camera is definitely not as good, and it's screen just can't even begin to compare. The LG V10 looks fantastic, but if you go to the V10 forums on this site, you'll find a ton of people are very unhappy with a lot of issues including Bluetooth connectivity and Wifi connectivity, both pretty much essential.

06-11-2016 08:20 PM
    On a related note, since music, call quality, screen, and camera are the most important aspects of a cell phone to me, I did go check out the HTC 10 a week ago. Its sound is amazing, but it's camera is definitely not as good, and it's screen just can't even begin to compare. The LG V10 looks fantastic, but if you go to the V10 forums on this site, you'll find a ton of people are very unhappy with a lot of issues including Bluetooth connectivity and Wifi connectivity, both pretty much essential.

I was one of those people who had the connectivity issue. I also had another issue with my v10 and that you couldn't get it into the factory recovery.

I have come to the conclusion that the AT&T v10 is locked out from it for some reason...I have tried to get several new and used ones to go into it, and it just won't...the Bluetooth issue came with either the last security patch or with Marshmallow..

Those 2 issues was why I got the s7e' otherwise I was extremely happy with it.

The s7e was a great phone too and it was a pleasure to look at, but music and movies are a integral part of my life and take front pew in my order of importance so much so that I took mine back and got a brand new v10 again.

The staff at my AT&T store are phenomenal...They completely understood my frustration and bent over backwards to accommodate me in this so I can never fault them but only sing their praises.

I got to test out the one I got prior to buying it to make sure that it would connect with the Bluetooth on my 2015 Chevy Silverado High Country and it works perfectly......The problem I face with it is still on Lollipop and the updates are wanting to get installed and I don't know how long I can delay the installation.

If I could have gotten the international s7e I probably would have been happy with it but they don't have them available.....but having a 32 bit DAC on the v10 if you will pardon my pun is indeed music to my ears...

06-11-2016 09:19 PM
    ......The problem I face with it is still on Lollipop and the updates are wanting to get installed and I don't know how long I can delay the installation.

Root it, and the answer is forever

Read this whole thread, then search Google or ask other ATT V10 owners about any questions before you jump in: Root lg h900 real with tot make by tungkick | AT&T LG V10
    06-11-2016 09:27 PM
    Cough exynos version cough
    love4speechless likes this.
    06-11-2016 10:01 PM
    Cough exynos version cough
    The exynos version keeps sounding like a completely different phone. I'm glad I have one
    mitul_mehta likes this.
    06-11-2016 10:35 PM
    The exynos version keeps sounding like a completely different phone. I'm glad I have one
    Exynos version also has way better battery life compared to sd820 version
    love4speechless and ironass like this.
    06-11-2016 10:39 PM
    Root it, and the answer is forever

Read this whole thread, then search Google or ask other ATT V10 owners about any questions before you jump in: Root lg h900 real with tot make by tungkick | AT&T LG V10

Thanks Jerry

I know what they have been going through to get root and may eventually try it since it's on 5.1.1. I got my original v10 in December and the majority of other folks complaints about it I didn't experience except some minor light bleed on the second screen. The speaker phone volume isn't too bad on this one but nowhere as loud as the s7e for sure, but to have it up loud , it sounds worse than using 2 tin cans and a string to listen...even my wife complained about it...the darn thing just screeched being up loud.

We will keep this v10 and make the most of it..Hopefully the guys on XDA will find the work around for rooting and some of the developers will make some roms..

06-11-2016 10:49 PM
    Exynos version also has way better battery life compared to sd820 version
    Trust me I know. I'm constantly getting over nine hours screen on time per charge
    Norg likes this.
    06-11-2016 11:04 PM
    I use mine with a decent set of AKGs to listen to Spotify. While there is a loss in quality on the file side, understandably - the sound through to the headphones is good enough for me. Exynos version though.
    06-12-2016 01:58 AM
    Trust me I know. I'm constantly getting over nine hours screen on time per charge
    Really? That's insane!
    love4speechless likes this.
    06-12-2016 01:58 AM
    nine fookin hours mate? screen on time? over wifi only? are you sure

need to see screenshot not because i don't believe you, because i'm jelly. which colour did you get
    06-12-2016 02:11 AM
    Really? That's insane!
    I know right. At first I thought it was inaccurate but when it kept on giving it as a consistent average battery I realised it was legit lol. As you can see with my average
    Attached Thumbnails I was wrong-1465715492649.jpg  
    06-12-2016 02:11 AM
50 12