Galaxy S7 Edge Wifi won't automatically connect to known networks

csciacchitano

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys - I've been having a maddening issue with my S7 Edge. The TL;DR version is that if I go anywhere where I have a known network, the phone won't automatically connect until I long press the WiFi icon and go into WiFi settings, at which point the list of networks will refresh and automatically connect.

For instance, when I come home from work, my phone will just sit on 4G. Once I go into my WiFi settings, I'll see the list of visible networks from wherever I last connected to WiFi. Then, after a second or so, it will automatically refresh and connect to my home network. This happens everywhere, though, so it's not limited to a specific router, network, or frequency (a small caveat is that often times I will have to turn off and turn back on my WiFi to be able to see my 5Ghz network at home).

If I start the phone in safe mode, it doesn't have this problem. I've gone through two factory resets - the first time the problem carried over, but the second time I didn't restore any kind of backups and the phone seemed to be working fine. Now, after about a week or two of working, the problem is here again. Obviously, since it works on safe mode, there's something installed that's preventing the WiFi from scanning and connecting to networks, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. I don't have any kind of tethering apps or anything that should have an impact on my WiFi connection. Samsung and T-Mobile support have been of little help, and it's a real pain when I drain my data because I've accidentally been watching YouTube on 4G!

If anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated! Thank you!