Moving apps to SD card.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased an S7edge running 6.0.1. (I REALLY love the phone b.t.w.)
Moving apps to SD card is even worse than before in that the application manager no longer includes the check list of apps available to move. And, as with Lollipop, apps need to be moved back after updates.
Does anyone know of a reliable application to make this process easier? (No clean master, please.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Aside from forcing the SD card to be adopted as internal storage, I don't think there is a way to have apps be on the card. That option is up to the developer.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there is a way to have apps be on the card.
Go to Application Manager. Select the application you want to move. Select "storage". You will find the option there. (This doesn't apply to all apps. However some of the really big ones can be moved.) Of course, as in Lollipop, they have to be moved back after updates. That's the purpose of this request.

Yea, heavy, and a bottle of bread.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Go to Application Manager. Select the application you want to move. Select "storage". You will find the option there. (This doesn't apply to all apps. However some of the really big ones can be moved.) Of course, as in Lollipop, they have to be moved back after updates. That's the purpose of this request.

Only a portion of the apps would transfer, if they could.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Besides, the main issue here is that Android itself doesn't support moving apps to SD card anymore. You'll be better off with just activating adoptable storage.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Besides, the main issue here is that Android itself doesn't support moving apps to SD card anymore. You'll be better off with just activating adoptable storage.

It supports moving apps as much as it did in Lollipop. It's just not as easy. The support for adaptable storage is even more questionable, as it isn't even available through the OS. Any helpful suggestions out there?

Last edited:

coolkenny13

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
completely agree with the OP. if there's one thing i hate doing is .. redoing the entire process from scratch. speaking of which.. i don't mind doing this process if they allowed to me select all the apps and do it in one go. btw is adopatable storage official? you have to do it via the hack right?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It supports moving apps as much as it did in Lollipop. It's just not as easy. The support for adaptable storage is even more questionable. Any helpful suggestions out there?

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean "if they could"? Don't you believe your own eyes? Would the option be available if it wasn't viable? It works just the same as it did in Lollipop.

First, I don't have an S7. Second, I have seen numerous instances where what I outlined is true. Also, if the app can be moved, only a portion of the app can be, and it's all at the discretion of the developer.

8 things to know about the Samsung Galaxy S7's SD card slot http://www.androidcentral.com/things-know-about-samsung-galaxy-s7s-sd-card-slot

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

I agree completely, and apologize if I offended anyone. I just object to people who have nothing helpful to add, and deny the facts before them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely, and apologize if I offended anyone. I just object to people who have nothing helpful to add, and deny the facts before them.

No worries, you didn't offend anyone. Just a reminder we're all after the same thing, if we can help we will. Please understand we deal with questions from all levels of expertise and never know quite which level you are at without trying some answers that are common and having a conversation about it. You're all good.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
First, I don't have an S7. Second, I have seen numerous instances where what I outlined is true. [/url]

This doesn't only apply to the S7 (although this is the S7edge forum page). It applies to Android Marshmallow 6.0.1. I never stated that the entire app was moved. I was very clear in saying that it works just like Lollipop. Your question as to whether the app or a portion of the app "could" actually be moved was in error, as well as a direct contradiction of an accurate statement that I made, and I felt the necessity to correct you. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I find unhelpful, incorrect statements made on the forum something that needs to be addressed.
Anyway, back to my original question. Does anyone know of an application (not Clean Master) that includes a handy little check list (similar to the one found in Lollipop) that would make it easier to move updated apps (or a portion thereof, just to be clear) back to the SD card after updates. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It supports moving apps as much as it did in Lollipop. It's just not as easy. The support for adaptable storage is even more questionable, as it isn't even available through the OS. Any helpful suggestions out there?

And Lollipop does not also officially support SD cards. Android itself stopped officially supporting SD cards as of ICS. What you're seeing is a legacy option Samsung deliberately enables themselves, but something the main OS itself isn't anymore coded to support. The code there that enables moving to SD card is something that hasn't been changed since Gingerbread. That's the main issue with the apps moving back to onboard storage after an update. The OS is coded to have the app stored on the onboard memory, not the SD card. And adoptable storage on a Samsung has been found that only the UI switch has been disabled. It's still there. You just need ADB to switch it on.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
And Lollipop does not also officially support SD cards. Android itself stopped officially supporting SD cards as of ICS. What you're seeing is a legacy option Samsung deliberately enables themselves, but something the main OS itself isn't anymore coded to support. The code there that enables moving to SD card is something that hasn't been changed since Gingerbread. That's the main issue with the apps moving back to onboard storage after an update. The OS is coded to have the app stored on the onboard memory, not the SD card. And adoptable storage on a Samsung has been found that only the UI switch has been disabled. It's still there. You just need ADB to switch it on.

I appreciate the information. I wasn't around for Gingerbread, but I know for a fact that Kit Kat allowed partial app storage without the hassle we have to go through now. It did it automatically. I also know that it works. And I ask you, if this option is so outdated why do they include it in the first place? And why is adaptable storage, if it's so much better, not included in the OS? By the way, all I wanted was help finding an app that will make it easier to move partial applications back to the SD card after an update.
Thanks for helping. 😵

"The obligation of a Warrior is impecability." - Don Genero

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Adoptable storage basically encrypts your SD card and treats it like internal storage. The upside is just about everything can be stored on it - the down side is the card is useless in all other device; it's readable only by the specific device that it's formatted by.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I took a peek at Play, and found this: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&token=KaE_Ch-e

But it doesn't clearly say that it lists them. I found one that seemed like it did but it was a root only app.

There is an ADB command that can force the adoption of SD cards (I don't know it offhand) but I wouldn't suggest that. Forcing it to work can bring possible problems into the OS. Samsung left it disabled for a reason.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
The app you linked me to is just the ticket! 😂
It found an app I missed before when I went through them all manually. It also included itself, as I hadn't a chance to move it yet. Problem solved. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the information. I wasn't around for Gingerbread, but I know for a fact that Kit Kat allowed partial app storage without the hassle we have to go through now. I also know that it works. And I ask you, if this option is so outdated why do they include it in the first place? And why is adaptable storage, if it's so much better, not included in the OS? By the way, all I wanted was help finding an app that will make it easier to move partial applications back to the SD card after an update.
Thanks for helping. 😵

"The obligation of a Warrior is impecability." - Don Genero
It's a decision made by Samsung which I cannot answer for. There was a time back during Kitkat days that Samsung was the only manufacturer to retain the move to SD card option on the phone. I think up to now, they still are the only ones. Other manufacturers would need to user to download something like Apps2SD or Link2SD from the Play Store to partially transfer thr apps. I do not know if either app supports mass moving to SD card.

Moving to SD card is in my personal opinion safer than adoptable storage due to how adoptable storage is done and what happens should anything go wrong. From what I gather that's what Samsung believes too, based on statements they released as to why they hid the toggle. It can of course be prevented by having frequent backups. However the issue you are facing is simply because the feature is something that hasn't been supported for several years hence there will obviously be bugs now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995