08-04-2016 07:48 AM
99 1234
tools
    I've never gone the unlocked route before but the thought of not having any of the Verizon bloatware is appealing.

Any disadvantages?
    07-01-2016 10:52 AM
    I've never gone the unlocked route before but the thought of not having any of the Verizon bloatware is appealing.

Any disadvantages?
    Usually higher upfront price, possible lack of carrier-exclusive features and the risk that your carrier of choice may decide to not activate your phone on their network.

Other than those, I'd say go for it. Enjoy all that freedom.
    07-01-2016 11:38 AM
    Got an unlocked S7 today. Very nice. Works with Verizon (after a quick update once you insert the SIM), HOWEVER I'm not getting an option for WiFi Calling, which will be a returnable issue if not rectified. Is it just a matter of calling Verizon and having them activate WiFi Calling for this S7?

Also, be warned, it comes with the Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp apps preinstalled and, unlike a bunch of Samsung and Google apps, they are NOT removable. You can disable them, but that's all. That is sure to make some people very unhappy.
    07-01-2016 01:34 PM
    Also, be warned, it comes with the Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp apps preinstalled and, unlike a bunch of Samsung and Google apps, they are NOT removable. You can disable them, but that's all. That is sure to make some people very unhappy.
    I use 2 out of 3 of those apps daily. Not a biggie for me, but that Facebook app is definitely going to be disabled.

But yeah. I think it should either be optional or uninstallable (not part of the system partition).

R.I.P GPe program
    07-01-2016 01:38 PM
    T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling works with the Edge G935U unlocked model. So not sure what is different with Verizon. May be as usual needs Verizon special sauce and hence wont work? Does wifi calling work on Verizon with 6p or other unlocked phones that work with Verizon?
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-01-2016 01:42 PM
    T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling works with the Edge G935U unlocked model. So not sure what is different with Verizon. May be as usual needs Verizon special sauce and hence wont work? Does wifi calling work on Verizon with 6p or other unlocked phones that work with Verizon?
    Got me. I'll be calling them shortly. Where does the menu option for it show for your T-Mobile service?
    07-01-2016 01:53 PM
    Got me. I'll be calling them shortly. Where does the menu option for it show for your T-Mobile service?
    Open phone app - more - settings and you should see wifi calling option there.

07-01-2016 01:59 PM
    Thanks man. Not there for Verizon. "Call Forwarding" is. Interesting.
    07-01-2016 02:05 PM
    Went to best buy and they gave me the $75 gift card since I bought it yesterday.
    07-01-2016 04:02 PM
    Thanks man. Not there for Verizon. "Call Forwarding" is. Interesting.
    There is also thread in 6P forum about Verizon wifi calling not working, so looks like no Verizon wifi calling in unlocked models. Not surprised what can you expect from Verizon.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=617748
    07-01-2016 04:52 PM
    Went to best buy and they gave me the $75 gift card since I bought it yesterday.
    Hmm mine was shipped to me automatically.
    07-02-2016 02:16 AM
    So this phone still can not be rooted then, since it has the snapdragon processor, correct? The only difference in this and the carrier versions is that it is unlocked with and supports more bands?
    07-02-2016 02:31 AM
    So this phone still can not be rooted then, since it has the snapdragon processor, correct? The only difference in this and the carrier versions is that it is unlocked with and supports more bands?
    And no carrier bloatware.
    07-02-2016 06:53 AM
    Looking at the wrong phone if rooting/modding is important.
    07-02-2016 08:37 AM
    Vzw bands, yes. Since I am assuming that it is Verizon certified, then volte should work.
    It does not. Someone just posted about it.
    07-02-2016 10:37 AM
    Facebook, What'sApp, and Instagram are carrier bloatware that cannot be removed. You may use them but I don't. Still much LESS carrier bloatware. I would definitely need VZW advanced calling though or VoLTE or whatever it is called.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-02-2016 10:42 AM
    Sounds like in your case you need the carrier bloatware to get wifi calling with it .

Sorry couldn't resist :P.
    07-02-2016 11:32 AM
    Facebook, What'sApp, and Instagram are carrier bloatware that cannot be removed. You may use them but I don't. Still much LESS carrier bloatware. I would definitely need VZW advanced calling though or VoLTE or whatever it is called.
    How can they be carrier bloatware when this is the unlocked model? Their inclusion stems from a preload deal between Facebook and Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    07-02-2016 12:05 PM
    Bloatware is bloatware. I don't care who gets the money. Maybe Sammy gets a cut of VZW bloatware too.
    07-02-2016 12:07 PM
    Bloatware is bloatware. I don't care who gets the money. Maybe Sammy gets a cut of VZW bloatware too.
    You called them carrier bloatware when they're not.

07-02-2016 12:08 PM
    You called them carrier bloatware when they're not.

Yes I did and they're not... Or maybe VZW gets the dough as soon as I connect. Anyway it's bloatware and I don't want it.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-02-2016 12:09 PM
    Got an unlocked S7 today. Very nice. Works with Verizon (after a quick update once you insert the SIM), HOWEVER I'm not getting an option for WiFi Calling, which will be a returnable issue if not rectified. Is it just a matter of calling Verizon and having them activate WiFi Calling for this S7?

VoLTE works?

07-02-2016 12:12 PM
    Sounds like in your case you need the carrier bloatware to get wifi calling with it .

Sorry couldn't resist :P.
    The irony is not lost on me my friend!
    07-02-2016 12:22 PM
    VoLTE works?

From what I can tell, yes. It's toggled on under my "Mobile Networks" settings.
    07-02-2016 12:26 PM
    Carrier - as in from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon. Which none of those are.
    How do u know that whichever carrier you connect to automatically receives promotion $? That would make it their bloat? Anyway you definitely have a better grasp on semantics than I so to make it simple... You are correct. It is not carrier bloatware. It is Samsung bloatware. You are correct. OK?
    07-02-2016 12:26 PM
99 1234