08-04-2016 07:48 AM
99 1234
tools
    How do u know that whichever carrier you connect to automatically receives promotion $? That would make it their bloat? Anyway you definitely have a better grasp on semantics than I so to make it simple... You are correct. It is not carrier bloatware. It is Samsung bloatware. You are correct. OK?
    Now was that so difficult?
    07-02-2016 12:27 PM
    Now was that so difficult?
    lol

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    07-02-2016 12:28 PM
    From what I can tell, yes. It's toggled on under my "Mobile Networks" settings.
    And Advanced Calling 1.0 is enabled for that line on the account?

07-02-2016 12:31 PM
    Facebook, What'sApp, and Instagram are carrier bloatware that cannot be removed. You may use them but I don't. Still much LESS carrier bloatware. I would definitely need VZW advanced calling though or VoLTE or whatever it is called.

Facebook isn't a carrier addition.

Base Android is Android Open Source program(AOSP) . Google then adds stuff like Google play services, Google Play store, music, movies, hangouts, Gmail, etc. Manufacturers (in this case Samsung) would add stuff like Facebook. Then carriers add stuff like Verizon navigator, my Verizon, dt ignite (with some games), etc.

Depending on what you use, certain things beyond AOSP might be unnecessary for you.
    07-02-2016 05:57 PM
    It does not. Someone just posted about it.
    Can you post a link to this discussion?
    07-02-2016 05:58 PM
    I don't understand the obsession with my misuse of a word. It is bloat. My use of the term "carrier bloat" was simply out of habit. My point was about the bloat, not the source of the bloat.

I find bloat no less intrusive regardless of its source. I have already said and will repeat the word carrier should have been omitted from my remark. We are way off topic. I'm simply surprised there is any bloat at all in an unlocked phone directly from manufacturer. I didn't know they did that. I would simply edit the post except it has already been quoted so what is the point.

Is bloat somehow less troublesome if from one huge corporation rather than another? You still cannot uninstall it. That's what makes it bloat.

I should add a thank you for the explanation. I should have said manufacturer bloat or just bloat. I just got steamed that the discussion went off on a tangent about my clear misuse of a phrase I used out of habit.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-02-2016 06:03 PM
    Can you post a link to this discussion?
    I think it is great there is an unlocked edition. IF it is missing features it is best if people know before purchasing.

PS- This could be another case of me using the wrong phrase. The post says WIFI calling and I think I said advanced or VoLTE so if those are different my apologies.

My concern was that the unlocked version might be missing features. I may have used the wrong term of the feature.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=695763
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    07-02-2016 06:09 PM
    This is my last post on the issue. I don't know how I became a target here. Did you think I made it up? I was concerned it wouldn't and apparently it doesn't. If the poster is mistaken please don't take it out on me.

I think it is great there is an unlocked edition. IF it is missing features it is best if people know before purchasing.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=695763
    That's a link to discussion about Wi-Fi calling, not VoLTE.

07-02-2016 06:24 PM
    That's a link to discussion about Wi-Fi calling, not VoLTE.

Yup. I screwed up again. You quoted me just as I edited my post. So it has the VoLTE feature but not the WiFi calling feature. Is this right?

Initially I used the term "advanced calling". Is that wifi calling or VoLTE or does it encompass both?

I see the source of my confusion. You must first enable "Advanced Calling" in order to activate "Wifi calling". I mistakenly thought VoLTE was included under the same umbrella.

If you look at my post it said Advanced Calling. WiFi calling is under that.

Bottom line is the phone may be missing a VZW feature people may want.

07-02-2016 06:26 PM
    I just want an unlocked bootloader. Since this is sold outside the carrier model, there should be some way to load some CM style or AOSP style roms.
    07-02-2016 07:21 PM
    I just want an unlocked bootloader. Since this is sold outside the carrier model, there should be some way to load some CM style or AOSP style roms.
    But KNOX.

07-02-2016 07:55 PM
    I don't understand the obsession with my misuse of a word. It is bloat. My use of the term "carrier bloat" was simply out of habit. My point was about the bloat, not the source of the bloat.

I find bloat no less intrusive regardless of its source. I have already said and will repeat the word carrier should have been omitted from my remark. We are way off topic. I'm simply surprised there is any bloat at all in an unlocked phone directly from manufacturer. I didn't know they did that. I would simply edit the post except it has already been quoted so what is the point.

Is bloat somehow less troublesome if from one huge corporation rather than another? You still cannot uninstall it. That's what makes it bloat.

I should add a thank you for the explanation. I should have said manufacturer bloat or just bloat. I just got steamed that the discussion went off on a tangent about my clear misuse of a phrase I used out of habit.
    I wouldn't say obsession just .. people try not to have bad information on the forums. People come here to discover things so we want to explain the different in "bloat" so when they come they can get their questions answered. It's cool you see stuff as bloat .. That is for you though. Not everyone will agree on what you say is bloat but we can all agree the carrier placed apps are bloat for pretty much everyone. I doubt most pay for VZW Navigator when they can just use Google Maps for free. That type of stuff.
    skipatrol likes this.
    07-02-2016 08:14 PM
    There is no missing feature on the unlocked version at least for using on T-Mobile. If you are talking Verizon then yes for sure it's missing stuff because it's useless Verizon special stuff which isn't available in other unlocked models like 6p as well probably.
    07-02-2016 08:15 PM
    I wouldn't say obsession just .. people try not to have bad information on the forums. People come here to discover things so we want to explain the different in "bloat" so when they come they can get their questions answered. It's cool you see stuff as bloat .. That is for you though. Not everyone will agree on what you say is bloat but we can all agree the carrier placed apps are bloat for pretty much everyone. I doubt most pay for VZW Navigator when they can just use Google Maps for free. That type of stuff.
    Yup you're right. Thanks.
    07-02-2016 08:20 PM

I prefer saying additions, but if you prefer to call it "bloat" then sure... There is Google bloat, manufacturer bloat and Carrier bloat.

The phone is advertised as carrier free, and it is free of carrier bloat. It isn't a gpe edition or a Google phone, so it should not be surprising that it has manufacturer bloat.
    bhatech likes this.
    07-02-2016 11:46 PM
    I prefer saying additions, but if you prefer to call it "bloat" then sure... There is Google bloat, manufacturer bloat and Carrier bloat.

The phone is advertised as carrier free, and it is free of carrier bloat. It isn't a gpe edition or a Google phone, so it should not be surprising that it has manufacturer bloat.
    Yep well said... agree completely. The only thing the unlocked model is trying to achieve is carrier free software and unlocked sim. Other than that everything else is same as the other models.
    07-02-2016 11:52 PM
    Finally!
    What took them so long?
    I may consider this to upgrade my Nexus 6 if I don't like the upcoming Nexus.
    07-03-2016 05:25 AM
    Seeing some folks on T-Mobile saying that they returned their S7/S7 Edge for this one... Were you all within your 14 day return period? If not, how are getting T-Mo to allow you to return it?
    07-03-2016 06:10 AM
    There is no missing feature on the unlocked version at least for using on T-Mobile. If you are talking Verizon then yes for sure it's missing stuff because it's useless Verizon special stuff which isn't available in other unlocked models like 6p as well probably.
    Do you notice any difference in signal with this phone on T-Mobile? Mine seems a little weak.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-03-2016 07:01 AM
    Do you notice any difference in signal with this phone on T-Mobile? Mine seems a little weak.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Yeah based on the bars looks like little weak, but not sure if there is any difference in signal strength. I haven't checked and compared the signal strengths.
    07-03-2016 09:50 AM
    I would check actual signal strength, not just the bars. The carriers could have modified how many bars show for a specific situation.
    07-03-2016 02:57 PM
    I hope they do that with the upcoming galaxy note 7 ..
    07-03-2016 04:35 PM
    I'm assuming you can use on an MVNO (Cricket, ST etc.)?
    07-04-2016 06:41 AM
    Yes you can.
    07-04-2016 11:41 AM
    Correct.

07-04-2016 12:06 PM
99 1234