Samsung officially offers the S7 unlocked with full support for ALL major USA carriers

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Same here picking up in a few hours.

Did you get a gift card with yours? It has a $75 gift card now with purchase from Best Buy. Last night I went to pick it up and happened to look at the item on the website and noticed the gift card. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there at first. So when I picked it up I asked and they said I was eligible but were curious why it wasn't added to my cart like it should have been. I just played dumb. They got me the gift card but only because I noticed it before I picked it up.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you get a gift card with yours? It has a $75 gift card now with purchase from Best Buy. Last night I went to pick it up and happened to look at the item on the website and noticed the gift card. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there at first. So when I picked it up I asked and they said I was eligible but were curious why it wasn't added to my cart like it should have been. I just played dumb. They got me the gift card but only because I noticed it before I picked it up.
Oh thanks I didn't look at it.. I'll go today to the store and ask about it. Hopefully I don't have to do the whole dance of return and buy again.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Firmware downloads for most of the major U.S. carriers are being released for the U.S. models of the Galaxy S7, G930U, and the Galaxy S7 Edge, G935U. So far the Galaxy S7 Edge firmware is showing, here.
Wonder how updates will work or maybe I am missing something? The updates will still come from samsung without waiting for approval from verizon correct?

This is now looking more like the Canadian, regional model setup, whereby the Canadians have a model/firmware for their country and it is then sub-divided into carrier firmwares. So, the G930W8, S7, and the G935W8, S7 Edge, which in turn are given carrier firmwares.

I cannot see a reason at the moment, why existing U.S. Snapdragon, carrier branded models could not be flashed with these firmwares other than for the fact that they have locked down bootloaders which will probably prevent this.

tscanlon

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Disadvantages of Purchasing Unlocked S7 edge?

I've never gone the unlocked route before but the thought of not having any of the Verizon bloatware is appealing.

Any disadvantages?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Disadvantages of Purchasing Unlocked S7 edge?

I've never gone the unlocked route before but the thought of not having any of the Verizon bloatware is appealing.

Any disadvantages?
Usually higher upfront price, possible lack of carrier-exclusive features and the risk that your carrier of choice may decide to not activate your phone on their network.

Other than those, I'd say go for it. Enjoy all that freedom.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Got an unlocked S7 today. Very nice. Works with Verizon (after a quick update once you insert the SIM), HOWEVER I'm not getting an option for WiFi Calling, which will be a returnable issue if not rectified. Is it just a matter of calling Verizon and having them activate WiFi Calling for this S7?

Also, be warned, it comes with the Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp apps preinstalled and, unlike a bunch of Samsung and Google apps, they are NOT removable. You can disable them, but that's all. That is sure to make some people very unhappy.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, be warned, it comes with the Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp apps preinstalled and, unlike a bunch of Samsung and Google apps, they are NOT removable. You can disable them, but that's all. That is sure to make some people very unhappy.
I use 2 out of 3 of those apps daily. Not a biggie for me, but that Facebook app is definitely going to be disabled.

But yeah. I think it should either be optional or uninstallable (not part of the system partition).

R.I.P GPe program

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling works with the Edge G935U unlocked model. So not sure what is different with Verizon. May be as usual needs Verizon special sauce and hence wont work? Does wifi calling work on Verizon with 6p or other unlocked phones that work with Verizon?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling works with the Edge G935U unlocked model. So not sure what is different with Verizon. May be as usual needs Verizon special sauce and hence wont work? Does wifi calling work on Verizon with 6p or other unlocked phones that work with Verizon?

Got me. I'll be calling them shortly. Where does the menu option for it show for your T-Mobile service?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Got me. I'll be calling them shortly. Where does the menu option for it show for your T-Mobile service?
Open phone app - more - settings and you should see wifi calling option there.

203ef8c4dc4a70f711646c916cc74e4d.jpg

682be407312ac18dbc9e09a1c8dbe705.jpg

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So this phone still can not be rooted then, since it has the snapdragon processor, correct? The only difference in this and the carrier versions is that it is unlocked with and supports more bands?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So this phone still can not be rooted then, since it has the snapdragon processor, correct? The only difference in this and the carrier versions is that it is unlocked with and supports more bands?
Looking at the wrong phone if rooting/modding is important.