Samsung officially offers the S7 unlocked with full support for ALL major USA carriers

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
And no carrier bloatware.
Facebook, What'sApp, and Instagram are carrier bloatware that cannot be removed. You may use them but I don't. Still much LESS carrier bloatware. I would definitely need VZW advanced calling though or VoLTE or whatever it is called.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Facebook, What'sApp, and Instagram are carrier bloatware that cannot be removed. You may use them but I don't. Still much LESS carrier bloatware. I would definitely need VZW advanced calling though or VoLTE or whatever it is called.

How can they be carrier bloatware when this is the unlocked model? Their inclusion stems from a preload deal between Facebook and Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Bloatware is bloatware. I don't care who gets the money. Maybe Sammy gets a cut of VZW bloatware too.

You called them carrier bloatware when they're not.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You called them carrier bloatware when they're not.

Yes I did and they're not... Or maybe VZW gets the dough as soon as I connect. Anyway it's bloatware and I don't want it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Got an unlocked S7 today. Very nice. Works with Verizon (after a quick update once you insert the SIM), HOWEVER I'm not getting an option for WiFi Calling, which will be a returnable issue if not rectified. Is it just a matter of calling Verizon and having them activate WiFi Calling for this S7?

Also, be warned, it comes with the Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp apps preinstalled and, unlike a bunch of Samsung and Google apps, they are NOT removable. You can disable them, but that's all. That is sure to make some people very unhappy.

VoLTE works?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Carrier - as in from AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon. Which none of those are.
How do u know that whichever carrier you connect to automatically receives promotion $? That would make it their bloat? Anyway you definitely have a better grasp on semantics than I so to make it simple... You are correct. It is not carrier bloatware. It is Samsung bloatware. You are correct. OK?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
How do u know that whichever carrier you connect to automatically receives promotion $? That would make it their bloat? Anyway you definitely have a better grasp on semantics than I so to make it simple... You are correct. It is not carrier bloatware. It is Samsung bloatware. You are correct. OK?

Now was that so difficult? ;)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell, yes. It's toggled on under my "Mobile Networks" settings.

And Advanced Calling 1.0 is enabled for that line on the account?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Facebook isn't a carrier addition.

Base Android is Android Open Source program(AOSP) . Google then adds stuff like Google play services, Google Play store, music, movies, hangouts, Gmail, etc. Manufacturers (in this case Samsung) would add stuff like Facebook. Then carriers add stuff like Verizon navigator, my Verizon, dt ignite (with some games), etc.

Depending on what you use, certain things beyond AOSP might be unnecessary for you.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the obsession with my misuse of a word. It is bloat. My use of the term "carrier bloat" was simply out of habit. My point was about the bloat, not the source of the bloat.

I find bloat no less intrusive regardless of its source. I have already said and will repeat the word carrier should have been omitted from my remark. We are way off topic. I'm simply surprised there is any bloat at all in an unlocked phone directly from manufacturer. I didn't know they did that. I would simply edit the post except it has already been quoted so what is the point.

Is bloat somehow less troublesome if from one huge corporation rather than another? You still cannot uninstall it. That's what makes it bloat.

I should add a thank you for the explanation. I should have said manufacturer bloat or just bloat. I just got steamed that the discussion went off on a tangent about my clear misuse of a phrase I used out of habit.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can you post a link to this discussion?

I think it is great there is an unlocked edition. IF it is missing features it is best if people know before purchasing.

PS- This could be another case of me using the wrong phrase. The post says WIFI calling and I think I said advanced or VoLTE so if those are different my apologies.

My concern was that the unlocked version might be missing features. I may have used the wrong term of the feature.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=695763

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is my last post on the issue. I don't know how I became a target here. Did you think I made it up? I was concerned it wouldn't and apparently it doesn't. If the poster is mistaken please don't take it out on me.

I think it is great there is an unlocked edition. IF it is missing features it is best if people know before purchasing.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=695763

That's a link to discussion about Wi-Fi calling, not VoLTE.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's a link to discussion about Wi-Fi calling, not VoLTE.

Yup. I screwed up again. You quoted me just as I edited my post. So it has the VoLTE feature but not the WiFi calling feature. Is this right?

Initially I used the term "advanced calling". Is that wifi calling or VoLTE or does it encompass both?

I see the source of my confusion. You must first enable "Advanced Calling" in order to activate "Wifi calling". I mistakenly thought VoLTE was included under the same umbrella.

If you look at my post it said Advanced Calling. WiFi calling is under that.

Bottom line is the phone may be missing a VZW feature people may want.

0f27c4de5dfc83fa087333833dfde434.jpg

Last edited:

tokuzumi

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I just want an unlocked bootloader. Since this is sold outside the carrier model, there should be some way to load some CM style or AOSP style roms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol