Samsung officially offers the S7 unlocked with full support for ALL major USA carriers

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just want an unlocked bootloader. Since this is sold outside the carrier model, there should be some way to load some CM style or AOSP style roms.

But KNOX.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the obsession with my misuse of a word. It is bloat. My use of the term "carrier bloat" was simply out of habit. My point was about the bloat, not the source of the bloat.

I find bloat no less intrusive regardless of its source. I have already said and will repeat the word carrier should have been omitted from my remark. We are way off topic. I'm simply surprised there is any bloat at all in an unlocked phone directly from manufacturer. I didn't know they did that. I would simply edit the post except it has already been quoted so what is the point.

Is bloat somehow less troublesome if from one huge corporation rather than another? You still cannot uninstall it. That's what makes it bloat.

I should add a thank you for the explanation. I should have said manufacturer bloat or just bloat. I just got steamed that the discussion went off on a tangent about my clear misuse of a phrase I used out of habit.

I wouldn't say obsession just .. people try not to have bad information on the forums. People come here to discover things so we want to explain the different in "bloat" so when they come they can get their questions answered. It's cool you see stuff as bloat .. That is for you though. Not everyone will agree on what you say is bloat but we can all agree the carrier placed apps are bloat for pretty much everyone. I doubt most pay for VZW Navigator when they can just use Google Maps for free. That type of stuff.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is no missing feature on the unlocked version at least for using on T-Mobile. If you are talking Verizon then yes for sure it's missing stuff because it's useless Verizon special stuff which isn't available in other unlocked models like 6p as well probably.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say obsession just .. people try not to have bad information on the forums. People come here to discover things so we want to explain the different in "bloat" so when they come they can get their questions answered. It's cool you see stuff as bloat .. That is for you though. Not everyone will agree on what you say is bloat but we can all agree the carrier placed apps are bloat for pretty much everyone. I doubt most pay for VZW Navigator when they can just use Google Maps for free. That type of stuff.
Yup you're right. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the obsession with my misuse of a word. It is bloat. My use of the term "carrier bloat" was simply out of habit. My point was about the bloat, not the source of the bloat.

I find bloat no less intrusive regardless of its source. I have already said and will repeat the word carrier should have been omitted from my remark. We are way off topic. I'm simply surprised there is any bloat at all in an unlocked phone directly from manufacturer. I didn't know they did that. I would simply edit the post except it has already been quoted so what is the point.

Is bloat somehow less troublesome if from one huge corporation rather than another? You still cannot uninstall it. That's what makes it bloat.

I should add a thank you for the explanation. I should have said manufacturer bloat or just bloat. I just got steamed that the discussion went off on a tangent about my clear misuse of a phrase I used out of habit.

I prefer saying additions, but if you prefer to call it "bloat" then sure... There is Google bloat, manufacturer bloat and Carrier bloat.

The phone is advertised as carrier free, and it is free of carrier bloat. It isn't a gpe edition or a Google phone, so it should not be surprising that it has manufacturer bloat.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I prefer saying additions, but if you prefer to call it "bloat" then sure... There is Google bloat, manufacturer bloat and Carrier bloat.

The phone is advertised as carrier free, and it is free of carrier bloat. It isn't a gpe edition or a Google phone, so it should not be surprising that it has manufacturer bloat.
Yep well said... agree completely. The only thing the unlocked model is trying to achieve is carrier free software and unlocked sim. Other than that everything else is same as the other models.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Finally!
What took them so long?
I may consider this to upgrade my Nexus 6 if I don't like the upcoming Nexus.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Seeing some folks on T-Mobile saying that they returned their S7/S7 Edge for this one... Were you all within your 14 day return period? If not, how are getting T-Mo to allow you to return it?

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
There is no missing feature on the unlocked version at least for using on T-Mobile. If you are talking Verizon then yes for sure it's missing stuff because it's useless Verizon special stuff which isn't available in other unlocked models like 6p as well probably.

Do you notice any difference in signal with this phone on T-Mobile? Mine seems a little weak.

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you notice any difference in signal with this phone on T-Mobile? Mine seems a little weak.

Posted via the Android Central App
Yeah based on the bars looks like little weak, but not sure if there is any difference in signal strength. I haven't checked and compared the signal strengths.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would check actual signal strength, not just the bars. The carriers could have modified how many bars show for a specific situation.

joe1blue

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Is the video option available for most Android phones
36b6e4fb148d14d7807e694202452a16.jpg