Got S7 Edge a month ago to replace my iPhone 6. I really like this. A lot of features that were missing in iPhone. But these are the ones I've been missing with S7:

1. How do I trim original video? I used this a lot to get rid of unnecessary long videos taking all my space. I found VidTrim but it doesn't seem to work with S7. Or with SD card, not sure what is the reason. If trimming original is not possible I could make the new file but it has to have old file time stamp...

2. Google Photos, after googling I guess there is no solution but I'll still ask. Is there a way to remove photos from SD card?

3. How do I allow mobile data only for specific apps? While travelling a lot it is not good that I have to turn all apps on to read the emails.

Thanks for your help!
    07-03-2016 05:01 AM
    Mod note: moved to S7 Edge forum for better traffic.
    07-03-2016 09:57 AM
    On another note. When you answer a phone call and then go to another app.
    There's a green bar up top that indicates you're on the phone. On the iPhone when you hit the green light it will take you back to the phone call screen.
    Can't seem to do it on my edge.
    Any ideas how to go back to the phone call?
    07-03-2016 10:24 AM
    Video Editor from Samsung Galaxy Apps for trimming videos.
    To go back to a phone call, you should be able to pull down the notification shade and tap on the notification for the phone.
    mab4285 and Premium1 like this.
    07-03-2016 11:55 AM
    In the Samsung Photos app you should be able to long press on any photo to delete. If your photo storage is set to SD card it will remove from there.

Posted via the Android Central App
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-03-2016 02:27 PM
    Video Editor from Samsung Galaxy Apps for trimming videos.
    I don't think this does what I asked for. For me it always created new file with new timestamp. Or how do you trim original video with default editor?
    07-04-2016 01:26 AM
    In the Samsung Photos app you should be able to long press on any photo to delete. If your photo storage is set to SD card it will remove from there.
    Yes, I know how to use gallery. The thing is that Google Photos don't let you delete photos from card. Makes Photos just not usable... or you can delete but very frustrating as it takes you back to gallery to do that. For 1 photo that is OK but not that user friendly for batch of photos.
    07-04-2016 01:30 AM
    Use Gallery instead of Google Photos. Google Photos wasn't designed for use with SD cards as Android does not officially support SD cards anymore as extended storage.

Restrict background data for the apps under data usage in the settings. This will prevent apps from using data in the background, but still allow them to use data if you open them.

Sorry no idea about the videos. Never had the need to trim
    07-04-2016 03:30 AM
    Use Gallery instead of Google Photos. Google Photos wasn't designed for use with SD cards as Android does not officially support SD cards anymore as extended storage.

Restrict background data for the apps under data usage in the settings. This will prevent apps from using data in the background, but still allow them to use data if you open them.

Thanks. Yep I've been using gallery due to this issue but would still like to get my photos backed up automatically. Now google photos backs up everything and is not synced with Gallery. Is there a way to manually sync gallery to Google photos? Always switching Photos on/off probably works... Or what is the preferred way to backup your photos with android?

I travel a lot and I'm not going to go through the apps Settings every time. There's no app that restricts all the mobile data except for the chosen apps?

Missing "trim original" is still probably the most annoying missing feature for me. I shoot a lot of videos and am used to trim them afterwards. New file is not an problem but new timestamp certainly is.

Thanks for your help!
    07-04-2016 04:24 AM
    You don't need to use Google Photos to have it sync. It should be working in the background. Personally I sync to OneDrive because I have a big account (40GB free since I've been using it since 2007 when they were giving it away for 25GB free), and the 100GB they give you for buying an S7 doesn't hurt.

In my experience Dropbox is a very reliable alternative to Google Photos for backing up, but it's been ages since I last used Google photos. 2 years ago it was compressing the photos it backs up so moved away from it to Dropbox, then now to OneDrive.

I'm not sure how an app would be better then the inbuilt option which already works as you describe what you want. Go to Settings>Data Usage>Background Data, and you will see a global toggle, and separate toggles for each app that you want restricted. That's how I imagine the description you gave on having an app that restricts data for specific apps.
    MP2704 likes this.
    07-04-2016 05:24 AM
    I'm not sure how an app would be better then the inbuilt option which already works as you describe what you want. Go to Settings>Data Usage>Background Data, and you will see a global toggle, and separate toggles for each app that you want restricted. That's how I imagine the description you gave on having an app that restricts data for specific apps.
    Thanks you sir. I somehow though I had to go to settings of each app. This is perfect. It seems there are some system stuff missing but this helps a lot already and reduces risk of some random app using mobile data.
    07-04-2016 07:11 AM

That part is technically incorrect. Android has support for SD card as both external and internal storage. The mix-up is in how permissions work. Google Photos can't delete from the SD card because of this.

For video trimming go to Gallery, select your video, then select Edit, then Trim. Then when you're done hit Export and name your video.

It saves them in another folder called "Video Editor" (at least on mine).
    07-04-2016 02:25 PM
    Out of the box, when you trim videos from the gallery, you can then export the resulting video on the top right. This puts it under DCIM/export, which automatically is found in Google Photos, and automatically gets backed up.

In the camera app itself in settings you can change the storage from SD card to internal if you want, and Google Photos will detect that too.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-04-2016 05:03 PM
    Out of the box, when you trim videos from the gallery, you can then export the resulting video on the top right. This puts it under DCIM/export, which automatically is found in Google Photos, and automatically gets backed up.
    The issue I explained in my post is that this creates new file with new timestamp. So gallery is not anymore in order. How do I trim video without having the timestamp updated? Best would be the iPhone type of "trim original" solution but new file is fine as long as timestamp is not changed to the moment of trimming.
    07-05-2016 03:35 AM
    You don't need to use Google Photos to have it sync. It should be working in the background. Personally I sync to OneDrive because I have a big account (40GB free since I've been using it since 2007 when they were giving it away for 25GB free), and the 100GB they give you for buying an S7 doesn't hurt.
    OneDrive seems to be pretty much 1-way sync. So if you delete something (from either one) it will not be deleted from another location. So it does backup everything but once you will actually need the backup you will get also all the nonsense photos you have deleted from gallery, right?
    07-06-2016 04:26 AM
    OneDrive seems to be pretty much 1-way sync. So if you delete something (from either one) it will not be deleted from another location. So it does backup everything but once you will actually need the backup you will get also all the nonsense photos you have deleted from gallery, right?
    In my experience yes, so is Dropbox. It's not really sync but photo upload. But I believe it's better because it prevents problems with accidental deletions.
    07-06-2016 04:42 AM