Anyone having problems with the Always on Display and Night Clock on the S7 Edge ?

A

AC Question

I noticed that instead of keeping the pixels that are supposed to render black turned off my phone lights them up and in low light conditions the phone obviously gives out a faint glow. What makes it even weirder is that when I swipe the edge to view my notifications the screen behaves properly, turning itself off except for the edge.

Johnnymyster

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem! It seemed to have come out of no where as well. I could easily not turn on the night display or always on display, but i use them all the time. I hope someone has the answers!

Monty.Dizon

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that instead of keeping the pixels that are supposed to render black turned off my phone lights them up and in low light conditions the phone obviously gives out a faint glow. What makes it even weirder is that when I swipe the edge to view my notifications the screen behaves properly, turning itself off except for the edge.

Yes!! I'm having the same issue. I factory reset my phone, twice! No luck :(

Jankovics Norbert

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
my screen is not going pure dark on always on display... preview of always on screen theme is good and the backuground is pure dark, but when i lock the screen, it looks little bit grey colored background.
how can i fix it? i'm on new firmware (1.4.02)

John_Ryan

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Same problem, in fact created another thread about it because I didn't see this one. I contacted my wireless provider and they have sent me a replacement (arriving today).

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone not having this problem? Sounds to me like a software issue.
Does the screen go totally dark when not using AOD?

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone not having this problem? Sounds to me like a software issue.
Does the screen go totally dark when not using AOD?

Screen goes totally dark in other places and when using a third party AOD app. Only seems to affect built in AOD and Night clock modes.

Uninstalling the AOD updates does not fix it.
Clearing the AOD apps data does not fix it.
Clearing the devices cache does not fix it.
A full wipe reset does not fix it.

I would say that somehow software has corrupted part of the display hardware but only the part that controls AOD. Only solution I've found here and on other sites is exchanging the device for a replacement. I don't trust the UK repair centre not to screw it up so I'll probably just stick with the device and not use AOD.

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone else who notice this issue also experience a significant decline in SOT?

With AOD (and night clock) disabled my SOT is as good as it normally is. Not seeing any other issues at all.

I tried a complete wipe and firmware reload using ODIN and that did not fix it so really does look like a hardware issue.

allygash

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Anyone get their S7 back repaired. I sent my S7 edge direct to Samsung UK and despite telling them the very specific problem with the AOD and night clock they returned it to me saying there is no problem with it. I couldn't even speak to an engineer about it to explain the grey screen and battery drain etc because Samsung dont allow direct contact between the end user and tech engineers...lol

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
allygash, after reading your post I am really starting to regret sending my S7 Edge to Samsung UK yesterday for this issue. I did print out a sheet showing my phone screen compared to my wife's, I hope they view (and understand) it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay