Hey folks

Only had my S7 Edge for 24 hrs, but Im not impressed with the camera quality on the S7... the images look mushy and slightly out of focus compared to my S6 edge+.. I used Manual mode on all 4 shots... what do you think?

The first 2 are S6 edge+, second 2 are S7 edge:

camera quality worse than Edge+-s6edge-.jpgcamera quality worse than Edge+-s6edge-_2.jpgcamera quality worse than Edge+-s7edge.jpgcamera quality worse than Edge+-s7edge_2.jpg

Any advice
    07-05-2016 12:02 PM
    Did you crop the S7 photos? The picture of the red bins are in 16:9 aspect ratio, where the phone will only be using 8mp. So there's probably several more settings altered. Reset camera settings.
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-05-2016 02:54 PM
    I did crop them yes, but it was the only way I could post how text looks a little mushy on the S7, both were set to their highest resolutions.. Edge+ - 16mp @ 16:9 and the S7 edge 12mp @ 4:3.

However, I rest the camera as you suggested and ill post back tomorrow after a few test shots
    07-05-2016 08:22 PM
    Just a thought but has the lens of the S7 camera got a thin plastic protective film over it like the screen has when you buy it? I half remember someone mentioning it in a thread somewhere.
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-05-2016 08:25 PM
    I'm also having problems sometimes pictures come out blurry and with not alot of detail
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-05-2016 10:26 PM
    Thats literally how my S7E if its not bright outside. Low/ medium quality if its dark. My nite 5 and 6P took way better pictures

Posted via Nexus 6P
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-05-2016 11:11 PM
    Just a thought but has the lens of the S7 camera got a thin plastic protective film over it like the screen has when you buy it? I half remember someone mentioning it in a thread somewhere.
    Thanks for the tip... I did check and there seems to be something covering the entire glass, but im not sure if its a coating o a film... bt I cant remove it without damaging the glass

I'm also having problems sometimes pictures come out blurry and with not alot of detail
    I wonder if it will be fixed in an update then or i have a faulty OIS,,

Thats literally how my S7E if its not bright outside. Low/ medium quality if its dark. My nite 5 and 6P took way better pictures

Posted via Nexus 6P
    Hmm, so how do all these youtube and web reviewers have stunning images then?

Would you recommend I hang onto it for a fix, although i could swap it for an LG G5?

Do you know.. Literally every single Samsung ive ever bought has a camera fault (apart from my Edge+ which has had a few fixes till now)
    07-06-2016 03:28 AM
    The S7 does NOT have the plastic film over the camera lens. (Unlike the S5 which did have it.) Instead there is a removable plastic sheet over the entire back of the phone.
    AT&T

Yeah, heavy, and a bottle of bread.
    07-06-2016 05:39 AM
    They're probably using pro-mode.
    07-06-2016 08:50 AM
    They're probably using pro-mode.
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-06-2016 08:51 AM

Posted via Nexus 6P
    Sorry to say this but in a way Im glad Im not the only one.. and I have been wondering if, like the S6, some models have different model of camera hardware, just a thought and it might get updated in the next update.

Also, another thing I considered was.. when I had my HTC one M8, it used UltraPixel... Less pixels, but bigger overall... which when viewed as a picture looked stunning, but when you zoom in.. it just looked a mushy mess.. and I wonder If im not being a lttle picky and watching / reading too many reviews ... it is new tech.. and maybe I just need to get used to it... after all 12mp @ 1.55 micron pixel is not the same as 16mp @ 1.2 micron pixel.

Unfortunately I havent beeen able to get out today due to lovely UK coastal weather, but one thing I have found interesting is that 9.1mp @ 16:9 actually looks a little better than 12mp @ 4:3.. and I always use Pro / Manual mode when shooting with a phone..

If anyone has any other tips though,
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-06-2016 02:39 PM
    Which camera have you got on your phones, wondering if they are all the same. I've got the Sony and it gives my DSLR a run for its money.

If your not sure you can use AIDA64 to find out.
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-06-2016 03:35 PM
    Which camera have you got on your phones
    Mine is the Sony IMX 260
    Phone made in Korea.
    AT&T

Yeah, heavy, and a bottle of bread.
    NightOrchid likes this.
    07-06-2016 04:56 PM
    And it works like a champ. 😎
    07-06-2016 04:57 PM
    Which camera have you got on your phones, wondering if they are all the same. I've got the Sony .
    Yep, Ive got the same:

SONY IMX_260

Also, check out this thread on XDA, we arent the only ones having poor camera performance

Photo quality | Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    07-06-2016 05:44 PM
    Yep, Ive got the same:

SONY IMX_260

Also, check out this thread on XDA, we arent the only ones having poor camera performance

Photo quality | Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Are you able to list the exif data for the two shots of the bins, or upload the two original photos to somewhere like drop box or one drive and send me a link so I can have a look.
    07-07-2016 01:32 AM
    Quick note on the 12vs16.... If you take a 16MP 16x9 sensor and crop it to a 4x3 size, you essentially are just cutting off two 2MP bands on either side of the frame. This isn't a bad thing since image quality tends to degrade as you move away from the center (higher lens aberration). The S7 actually has a higher vertical resolution than the S6, so in terms of finite resolution, the S7's sensor is higher than the S6. The detail difference that many see is typically due to differences in optics. The S7 has a larger field of view, so if you are standing in the same spot taking the same picture, the S6 would appear to have better detail, but in reality the S7's frame has slightly more information (when looking at the same 4x3 image). So to get the exact same image, you would have to take a step or two forward with the S7.... zooming with your feet, like many photographers who use prime lenses.

Now.. these pictures. Looking at the snips you posted, it does look a bit off. That isn't a focus problem, that looks like a processing problem to my eyes. My wife has an S7 and I've found that that thing processing the ever living hell out of images at times. They look great on the phone display but once she takes them off and on to her laptop, you can see it, especially when compared to my 6P. She cares nothing about camera sensors and pixel sizes and all... but on many occasions, she mentions how my shots look a lot better than hers when she crops and resizes to put in, say, a Shutterfly album.

I don't have the originals to verify it, but I think what you are seeing might be the result of Samsung going overboard with the processing software on the S7... I have yet to figure out why they did so... on paper, that sensor should be able to do more with less processing than the previous generation sensor they used.
    07-07-2016 09:16 AM
    Here's what I mean.... look at these two little bits here. The S6 image shows processing effects, hence why the clarity is inconsistent, but the S7 completely obliterated it. That has to be software.

S6:
    camera quality worse than Edge+-s6.jpg

S7:
    camera quality worse than Edge+-s7.jpg

I might grab my wife's and take two sets of pics... one using the auto or pro mode stuff and a second with RAW. That'd be telling as to what is going on.
    chanchan05 likes this.
    07-07-2016 09:36 AM
    Yup. The RAW photo would remove all processing effects. Would be tedious to always use RAW though. I wonder if using a different camera app would help.
    07-07-2016 09:55 AM
    Yup. The RAW photo would remove all processing effects. Would be tedious to always use RAW though. I wonder if using a different camera app would help.
    Tedious, yes, but just as a way to see how much it's processing.

I think ProShot allows you to adjust the amount of sharpening and noise reduction.
    07-07-2016 12:24 PM