Just got my s7e, need help

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I am a complete newbie for Android... what should I do after I setup my Google and Samsung account?

I have checked software updates and there is none.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What previous platform are you coming from? We can better assist you knowing that, as different platforms may mean that you are accustomed to certain things. Here is a quick list of what to do after setting up all your preliminary accounts:

- write down or recall your most used apps from your previous platform; then look for the equivalent in the Google Play app store. It's a very extensive app database, so if you can't find the exact same app as before, I am sure you'll be able to find the next best thing

- set up the phone in the way that makes you most comfortable. Make folders, change wallpapers - make it yours and easy to use. Don't worry about launchers or anything extra until you're more used to it.

- go through your "Settings" app and see what you can manage about your phone to make it better suit your needs (ie, battery percentage icon, display brightness, home screen versus lock screen).

- if all else fails, YouTube can show you how to do a ton of stuff!

Congratulations on your new phone, and welcome to the Android world! If you need anything else, please let us know.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
What previous platform are you coming from?

Thank you Morty2264! I am using a BlackBerry Passport.

Just installed Android Central app. Then installed BlackBerry Manager and then installed BlackBerry keyboard and Password Keeper app. Need to get passwords here first.

Is there anything I am supposed to before I starts installing a whole bunch of apps?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nothing really. Just do what you want. Install what you need. There's really nothing much to think about other than to stay away from the bogus battery saver or ram booster apps.

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Yep, you've got a good phone. Samsung includes some perfectly usable apps for most of your normal phone usage functions (certainly for most things that the Passport provided). No, it's not the Hub, but you'll get used to the notifications on Android.

Otherwise, you'll find equivalents for any app you had from the BB Store. Just search on the Play store.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Made my first mistake ... after setting up my email, contact and calendars accounts (10s of them), I popped my Sim and SD card in without turning the phone off. That triggered a reboot and then it entered the setup process again.

I don't think Android doesn't support hot plug and play, it must be triggered by the carrier setup process. Because before I plugged in my Sim, there were no carrier apps.

Good thing that the phone backed up most of my setup in google drive automatically. So the restoring process didn't have to start completely from the scratch.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Really like how quick I can take a photo anytime any where... double tap on home button, point and shoot.

All productivity apps are up and running, hub, contacts, calendars, etc.

Ready to enter uncharted territory.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Is tasker worth it? I have created a few profiles and it seems to work. But does it drain the battery?

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Does s7e automatically connect to a know bluetooth audio device or do you always have to click on the device list to connect?

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Does s7e automatically connect to a know bluetooth audio device or do you always have to click on the device list to connect?

Depends. With my Bluetooth headphones and speakers it connects automatically but with other devices not. Not sure what the difference is.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay it does automatically connect if bluetooth is enabled. The music plays automatically too.

I am just going to leave bluetooth on all the time and see how it impacts the battery life... was trying to use tasker to only turn on blue both when I leave home and work place and it wasn't working properly. Will try that later.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I would go into settings > do not disturb to schedule when you want the phone to keep quiet (ie. when you are sleeping).

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Okay it does automatically connect if bluetooth is enabled. The music plays automatically too.

I am just going to leave bluetooth on all the time and see how it impacts the battery life... was trying to use tasker to only turn on blue both when I leave home and work place and it wasn't working properly. Will try that later.

Leaving Bluetooth on all the time has a very minimal impact on battery life. I leave mine on all the time and it's maybe 1-3% per day.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

It remembers past connections. I just turn my headphones on it they're connected.

Posted via the Android Central App on the edge

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are using the Hub, set up your email accounts directly inside it and not in the Android settings accounts. This will eliminate duplicate notifications.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
If you are using the Hub, set up your email accounts directly inside it and not in the Android settings accounts. This will eliminate duplicate notifications.

Yep, I did it in that way.

I have to say this phone is the best phone I have ever used, including my Passport.

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
First annoyance:

I was audio chatting with my buddy today over BBM, I am on my headphone. Every thing went pretty well until when the chat ends, the beep sound signalling the end of the chat was so loud that it hurts.

I lowerd the volume on both my phone and my headphone, and tried it again, it didn't make any difference. The beep was still painfully loud.

Is there a setting I missed that could lower the tone volume?

Now the audio quality is pretty bad comparing to my Passport but I still give it a pass.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
First annoyance:

I was audio chatting with my buddy today over BBM, I am on my headphone. Every thing went pretty well until when the chat ends, the beep sound signalling the end of the chat was so loud that it hurts.

I lowerd the volume on both my phone and my headphone, and tried it again, it didn't make any difference. The beep was still painfully loud.

Is there a setting I missed that could lower the tone volume?

Now the audio quality is pretty bad comparing to my Passport but I still give it a pass.

Audio quality is bad on the S820 versions of the S7.

Try lowering notification volume.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I like 1password, if you're looking for a password app.

As far as things you should do before downloading apps, make sure you know who the publisher is before you download. You should be fine though assuming you don't go downloading random apks from various websites. Other than that I would say enjoy your phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15