07-22-2016 06:18 PM
44 12
tools
    Good day all. I saw an article that the S7 and Edge on Verizon and T-mobile both got their July security updates this past week. My unlocked Edge still has the May update. Am I missing something? When I check it says I have the most up to date software. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks everyone!
    One of the (several) reasons I returned my unlocked S7. It seemed pretty clear from the get-go it wasn't going to get my carrier (Verizon) updates, at least not in a timely fashion. Not to mention the other carrier services it lacked.
    Premium1 likes this.
    07-17-2016 01:42 PM
    Yeah I'm thinking of returning this one tomorrow for the AT&T variant. The lack of these updates combined with the lack of VoLTE and Visual Voice-mail is making me rethink it a good bit.
    07-17-2016 03:39 PM
    I'm on the unlocked and have June about a month now.

July seems to be taking a while though.

Posted via my Titanium S7 Edge!
    07-17-2016 04:14 PM
    I assume you don't have the unlocked version that was released about 2 weeks ago? The US unlocked version
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-17-2016 04:23 PM
    I assume you don't have the unlocked version that was released about 2 weeks ago? The US unlocked version
    I've been pretty disappointed with mine so far. I may return it to Best Buy. My wireless signal has been bad compared to my T-Mobile variant. I've had more software hiccups with the unlocked version too. Not what I expected. I thought the experience would be better.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Premium1 likes this.
    07-17-2016 04:49 PM
    I've been pretty disappointed with mine so far. I may return it to Best Buy. My wireless signal has been bad compared to my T-Mobile variant. I've had more software hiccups with the unlocked version too. Not what I expected. I thought the experience would be better.

Yeah Fallout Shelter seems to crash A LOT and I play that consistently. I am about to order the AT&T one again. Best Buy is doing a GC for that as well so it'll be nice.
    07-17-2016 05:00 PM
    Yeah I'm thinking of returning this one tomorrow for the AT&T variant. The lack of these updates combined with the lack of VoLTE and Visual Voice-mail is making me rethink it a good bit.
    Had I realized unlocked = crippled (on Verizon), I'd have never even considered it. In another thread around here somewhere, we were lamenting how much power Apple must have over the carriers, since its unlocked iPhones work the same no matter which carrier one has. Well, not really "lamenting" I guess - it's a good thing Apple doesn't let carriers dictate - but wishing Sammy had as much control.
    07-18-2016 05:37 AM
    Had I realized unlocked = crippled (on Verizon), I'd have never even considered it. In another thread around here somewhere, we were lamenting how much power Apple must have over the carriers, since its unlocked iPhones work the same no matter which carrier one has. Well, not really "lamenting" I guess - it's a good thing Apple doesn't let carriers dictate - but wishing Sammy had as much control.
    I agree. Apple does have the market cornered on doing as they wish with their devices. I'm picking up my AT&T variant today during lunch.
    07-18-2016 06:20 AM
    Has anyone seen any of the security updates for their phones yet? Seems like the unlocked one should get things faster, not slower.
    07-19-2016 01:58 PM
    Just got July 1st update last night.
    I'm a happy camper now. ๐Ÿ˜Š

No I'm not on the US Unlocked version. International.
    07-20-2016 04:50 AM
    Just got July 1st update last night.

International unlocked ๐Ÿ˜Š

07-20-2016 04:58 AM
    I have the unlocked version on AT&T and HD Voice (voice over LTE) and video calling do not work. Also, still on the May security update. The software is different than what is on the AT&T version. Some new things and some missing. The unlocked version seems to get a better signal, faster wifi and better battery life. It is also faster in use. I sure wish AT&T would let us use VOLTE. What difference does it make to them -- we pay the same monthly rate as people using the AT&T version.
    07-20-2016 09:35 AM
    AT&T visual voicemail works for me. No VoLTE, though.
    07-20-2016 09:42 AM
    If I were to buy the Best Buy unlocked version will wifi calling with with Tmobile? I currently have an S7 so should my SIM card fit in the edge right? The Best Buy one is $749 compared to 789 from Tmobile. Would it be better to get the tmobile one or go the unlocked route?
    07-22-2016 02:15 AM
    If I were to buy the Best Buy unlocked version will wifi calling with with Tmobile? I currently have an S7 so should my SIM card fit in the edge right? The Best Buy one is $749 compared to 789 from Tmobile. Would it be better to get the tmobile one or go the unlocked route?
    Yes if you are using T-Mobile everything works fine on the unlocked US model. Wifi calling, VoLTE, band 12 etc. I'm using the G930U on T-Mobile and loving it other than still being on May update. If you are paying full price I personally would pick the unbranded/unlocked version over carrier version. Best buy also had the $75 gift card with purchase couple of weeks back not sure if it's still active.
    07-22-2016 10:16 AM
    Yeah Fallout Shelter seems to crash A LOT and I play that consistently. I am about to order the AT&T one again. Best Buy is doing a GC for that as well so it'll be nice.
    I got rid of my US I locked version this week and went back to a T-Mobile version. I was having signal issues, home button issues and Samsung Pay was not working. Battery life was also not good. Switching back to the T-Mobile version and everything works perfectly fine. Don't know if I got a bad phone, but it was not a pleasant experience.

07-22-2016 10:58 AM
    Will the Note 7 come out with unlocked version too at first or will it be a few months?
    07-22-2016 12:08 PM
    A few oddities I have noticed with the G935U (the unlocked version for the USA market):
    1. Seems Faster than the T-Mobile Branded Unit
    2. Signal is measurably better with the Unlocked Unit on T-Mobile than the T-Mobile Branded Unit and better than an at&t branded GS7 (not sure why that would be)
    3. VoLTE works well on both Verizon and T-Mobile but oddly only half the time with T-Mobile
    4. Wi-Fi Calling Works well on T-Mobile and oddly better than the branded unit (again not sure why)

All in all I am happy with the G935U but I am not sure that I am going to keep it, it is a lot of money and the next Nexus will be out soon and I am guessing for a lower price point with similar specs.
    07-22-2016 12:56 PM
    A few oddities I have noticed with the G935U (the unlocked version for the USA market):
    1. Seems Faster than the T-Mobile Branded Unit
    2. Signal is measurably better with the Unlocked Unit on T-Mobile than the T-Mobile Branded Unit and better than an at&t branded GS7 (not sure why that would be)
    3. VoLTE works well on both Verizon and T-Mobile but oddly only half the time with T-Mobile
    4. Wi-Fi Calling Works well on T-Mobile and oddly better than the branded unit (again not sure why)

All in all I am happy with the G935U but I am not sure that I am going to keep it, it is a lot of money and the next Nexus will be out soon and I am guessing for a lower price point with similar specs.
    I might go that route if I don't get the Note 7. Tmobile is still $790 for their carrier version, but Best Buy you can order it for $749 or $769 for silver which is the only color they carry in stores. I might get black and the $749 one since the closest store that carriers it in stock is 70 miles away. If I have it shipped to the store will they switch my Sim Card for me so I don't have to worry about putting a nic in my phone or damaging it when removing it?
    07-22-2016 06:18 PM
44 12