Unlocked S7 Edge

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just returned my AT&T S7 Edge and picked up an Unlocked US Version at Best Buy instead. Decided the quicker updates and lack of bloatware were more important to me than spreading the payments out over 13 years. Anyone else get the newly released unlocked version? If so why? I am looking to possibly unlock the bootloader and root if possible and also am noticing slightly better battery, especially when looking for some Pocket Monsters wondering about near my toilet. So far so good!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK the bootloader is just as locked as any other US version and not to be a party pooper but carriers have actually seen more updates than that model. A lot of people complaining that their Unlocked version is still on April Security patch when carrier versions have been updated to June or July.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I just returned my AT&T S7 Edge and picked up an Unlocked US Version at Best Buy instead. Decided the quicker updates and lack of bloatware were more important to me than spreading the payments out over 13 years. Anyone else get the newly released unlocked version? If so why? I am looking to possibly unlock the bootloader and root if possible and also am noticing slightly better battery, especially when looking for some Pocket Monsters wondering about near my toilet. So far so good!

Are you seeing VoLTE on you unlocked variant on at&t? This is a deal breaker for me with unlocked phones lately.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Where would I check to see it? Calls sound crisp.

Easy way to check is to check the network indicator while in a call. You might need to turn off Wifi. I'm not sure if this phone hides the network connection type while connected to wifi. If it still shows LTE while in a call then you're using VoLTE. If it drops to 4G/H then it's not using it.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Easy way to check is to check the network indicator while in a call. You might need to turn off Wifi. I'm not sure if this phone hides the network connection type while connected to wifi. If it still shows LTE while in a call then you're using VoLTE. If it drops to 4G/H then it's not using it.
It switched to H. So no VoLTE though I will do my best to find it lol

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there something I may need to do to activate it? I just made a phone call and saw it switch from LTE to HSPA+.

If I knew that at&t allowed the unlocked version to use VoLTE I would suggest making sure you were using the correct APN and there wasn't an imei mismatch in their system.

You're the only person to respond so far with at&t and you don't have the feature. You can call support to see if they have the correct imei and see if VoLTE is available. VoLTE with unlocked phones is a hit or miss with at&t. Mostly miss...

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

terp05

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought it for reduced bloatware and speedy updates. Like was mentioned, no updates yet to speak of. Still running the May patch level on my phone.

Also using AT&T and no VoLTE support.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I got the June update about two days after I bought the phone. Waiting on July update now.

Posted via my Titanium S7 Edge!

You got the US Unlocked model and the June patch? Mmmm... weird, everyone I've heard talk about the US one says they're still on May. That would be one slooooow roll out.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
A note for anyone purchasing on AT&T. When I got the phone I popped my sim in and did not have any data. I spoke with a rep and had them add my IMEI and I still did not have data. When I got off with the rep they apparently switched my IMEI to something random and that gave me data. I tried getting them to update the IMEI at the store to the correct one and could not connect to data there so they put another random IMEI on the account. It is kind of silly and very annoying that the IMEI will not take in their system. They seem to not want us to "Bring our own phones" like they advertise on their site. AT&T is awful in my opinion, but they're the lesser of two evils between Verison and AT&T so I am forced to be with them. T-Mobile is terrible where I live and Sprint is a joke in general.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in the US, but in the Caribbean.

Posted via my Titanium S7 Edge!

Ah, that explains it! Yeah, the updates seem to have been better for the International Unlocked version than for the US one... which is why many have been up in arms about it. And with good reason: you're supposed to get faster updates than carrier phones, and to see the US unlocked version be one or two patches behind their carrier counterparts, is just not cool for unlocked owners.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Ah, that explains it! Yeah, the updates seem to have been better for the International Unlocked version than for the US one... which is why many have been up in arms about it. And with good reason: you're supposed to get faster updates than carrier phones, and to see the US unlocked version be one or two patches behind their carrier counterparts, is just not cool for unlocked owners.
Yep and I don't understand why it's tough to push the updates for the US unlocked model. If they have to develop/ prepare security updates individually for each variant of the S7 then that's terrible software design. The guy in charge should be fired for developing such tightly coupled systems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad