Does your S7 Edge Home button click everywhere?

Does your S7 edge Home button click everywhere?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Real world pressing it normally like I press the right side, the right side functions but the left won't unless I apply more pressure.
Also vaguely when my screen has a white background I can see the light being emitted from the top of the home button!

Hm. I haven't run into an issue pressing it. If anything I run into an issue if I barley place my finger on the button so it can read it but that is to be expected.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hm. I haven't run into an issue pressing it. If anything I run into an issue if I barley place my finger on the button so it can read it but that is to be expected.

Ahh,
Simply if you click it this way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9vZ0aQnLdw does it function?
Also do you have any idea if the device will still be water resistance after the repairs done by an authorized samsung service center?

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Mine works in the middle where it's supposed to. I never click by left or right side of the button, I always press the center and it works perfectly fine. If the button wasn't working at all, it wouldn't register any press no matter where you pushed. I work with phones for a living and never had an issue where the button doesn't work and the only time I would consider it not working is if the button doesn't register a press in the center

Posted via the Android Central App

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Lol if you think this is OCD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9vZ0aQnLdw
You have got it all wrong!
What I'm getting at is, just press it in the center, I'm sure your big fat thumb is capable of doing that.

I watched the video, I don't know who in their right mind presses buttons like that. If you return your phone because of it, chances are you get a refurbished one that might have other issues.

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Does your S7 edge home button click everywhere or does it only click in the center and not one or both the sides?
The left side of the S7 edge home button to be not clicking seems to be a quality issue so want to know if there are many devices that have been affected so

between the misaligned front camera and now the home button "click" issue you have had quite an adventure with your s7e in the first 3 months :p

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The flex cable for the home button is placed in the center, so it makes sense that it registers better in the center. As someone that works with phones - Samsung included - when I test phones, I test all hardware (volume buttons, power button, home button, capacitive buttons), and a home button is considered defective ONLY when it doesn't register ANY press at all, not if it doesn't register right or left clicks. A home button is meant to work when pressed in the center and as long as it works that way it's considered a working button. I don't know any person that uses their button only on the left or right side - every person that I see use their phone, it's always in the center that's the way it's MEANT to be used, you know? I don't see a point in you trying to get the screen replaced or to get a replacement for it because, realistically, there's nothing wrong with the home button since it is obviously registering the press when pressed where it matters - the center. It's like trying to press the power button on the top or bottom part instead of the center and saying it doesn't work.

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I can't understand why anyone who owns a device as magnificent, as complicated and beautiful as an S7edge would focus on a tiny, insignificant flaw to the extent that it ruins the experience. It certainly seems counter productive to me. 😱
Man, this is a miracle of modern technology. Enjoy it!

Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread

Last edited:

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
That is not the point!
The point is for such an expensive device, the home button must function properly!
For example if the keys on your keyboard would only click in the center and again your fingers are bigger than the keys,
would you accept it?

The button does function properly and you're just being ultra anal and it is the point.
Who said this button is meant to function by tickles on the left or right of the button? Do you think the engineers sat up at night worrying about catering for daft things like this? It's a button, press it. They could legitimately say the button works as intended when you press it and that nowhere did they make a promise in their advertising that the button functions even if you lightly press the outermost edge on either side.
Yes, I would accept this because it's a button and I press it in the way that makes it work. I don't look for fantastical ways to click it and make it not work.
You're just being daft and looking for stupid issues where there are none and if that's an indicator of how you go through life, it must be one unsatisfying life demanding everything fits your OCD.

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The flex cable for the home button is placed in the center, so it makes sense that it registers better in the center. As someone that works with phones - Samsung included - when I test phones, I test all hardware (volume buttons, power button, home button, capacitive buttons), and a home button is considered defective ONLY when it doesn't register ANY press at all, not if it doesn't register right or left clicks. A home button is meant to work when pressed in the center and as long as it works that way it's considered a working button. I don't know any person that uses their button only on the left or right side - every person that I see use their phone, it's always in the center that's the way it's MEANT to be used, you know? I don't see a point in you trying to get the screen replaced or to get a replacement for it because, realistically, there's nothing wrong with the home button since it is obviously registering the press when pressed where it matters - the center. It's like trying to press the power button on the top or bottom part instead of the center and saying it doesn't work.
I agree with your explanation but the other phones weren't like that.
Anyway I had a chat with Samsung Support and told them about this issue to which they said that it wasn't normal and the button has to click everywhere.
I meant than when I click the left half of the home button it won't respond, I need to click it in the dead center or the right side and I am sure if anyone had such a device they would be annoyed too!

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The button does function properly and you're just being ultra anal and it is the point.
Who said this button is meant to function by tickles on the left or right of the button? Do you think the engineers sat up at night worrying about catering for daft things like this? It's a button, press it. They could legitimately say the button works as intended when you press it and that nowhere did they make a promise in their advertising that the button functions even if you lightly press the outermost edge on either side.
Yes, I would accept this because it's a button and I press it in the way that makes it work. I don't look for fantastical ways to click it and make it not work.
You're just being daft and looking for stupid issues where there are none and if that's an indicator of how you go through life, it must be one unsatisfying life demanding everything fits your OCD.
Well again you're coming up with conclusions.
I had a conversation with Samsung Support who claims it's definitely not normal and something might be wrong.
If it how you claim their engineers designed this, they could easily have told me to click in the middle but lol they didn't do so!

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Well again you're coming up with conclusions.
I had a conversation with Samsung Support who claims it's definitely not normal and something might be wrong.
If it how you claim their engineers designed this, they could easily have told me to click in the middle but lol they didn't do so!

So what you are thinking about is that even though your home button works perfectly when pressed in the center but since you have to press harder on the left side extreme edge than you do on the right side edge to get the home button to register you are seriously using this as justification to send your phone away for repair and as a bonus you bought the phone in another country and have to send it there to get it repaired, I can tell this whole situation is going to end well ;)

Like others have said be forewarned you may get a refurbished phone back from repair and if you had this many trials and tribulations with a brand new s7e I can only imagine what will happen with a refurbished phone

Last edited:

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with your explanation but the other phones weren't like that.
Anyway I had a chat with Samsung Support and told them about this issue to which they said that it wasn't normal and the button has to click everywhere.
I meant than when I click the left half of the home button it won't respond, I need to click it in the dead center or the right side and I am sure if anyone had such a device they would be annoyed too!

Actually mine doesn't click on the left and it doesn't annoy me at all because I actually press the button where it is MEANT to be pressed, in the center so this is definitely not an issue for me at all. Some people just pick at every little thing and they will never be satisfied because there will always be something wrong with the phone, one way or another. Me, personally, I would never ever ever risk having my screen removed for the sake of having a button that clicks "everywhere" because even samsung cannot guarantee that your phone will be water resistant after

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually mine doesn't click on the left and it doesn't annoy me at all because I actually press the button where it is MEANT to be pressed, in the center so this is definitely not an issue for me at all. Some people just pick at every little thing and they will never be satisfied because there will always be something wrong with the phone, one way or another. Me, personally, I would never ever ever risk having my screen removed for the sake of having a button that clicks "everywhere" because even samsung cannot guarantee that your phone will be water resistant after

Yours doesn't?
I had a word with Samsung who claims that in spite of any repairs ever conducted, the device does and will continue to be water resistant as they use the same tape that is used while manufacturing it.
Also my issue was that if I don't replace the button under warranty once it ends and if things get worse then I will be in a very unfortunate situation.

I would like to thank you for your input it is because of that I went and did some research myself,
Had a look at a few pictures of the button and as you can see, the main button is in the center while there is nothing on the left or right side so I'm curious as to how the mechanism works?
Does the center button actually get pressed when one clicks from the left or right side for it register the click?
As you can see neither the left or right side have any button behind them?

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 2.14.05 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-17 at 2.14.18 AM.png

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So what you are thinking about is that even though your home button works perfectly when pressed in the center but since you have to press harder on the left side extreme edge than you do on the right side edge to get the home button to register you are seriously using this as justification to send your phone away for repair and as a bonus you bought the phone in another country and have to send it there to get it repaired, I can tell this whole situation is going to end well ;)

Like others have said be forewarned you may get a refurbished phone back from repair and if you had this many trials and tribulations with a brand new s7e I can only imagine what will happen with a refurbished phone

They won't replace the phone they will only replace the screen and home button.
I am sure Samsung wouldn't pollute their supplies with defective replacements parts and cause unnecessary trouble which would ultimately lead to them to replace the entire device which would be a loss for them

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Also as you mentioned, is it normal to see the background light especially when it is white in color from the top of the home button?

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any light on my home button and there really shouldn't be any light coming from the button itself

This is how it looks, you can see light being emitted from the top of the home button so is this normal or could this be a defect?
It appears only when the screen is too bright or the background color is white!
Photo on 7-19-16 at 7.22 PM.jpg

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
This is how it looks, you can see light being emitted from the top of the home button so is this normal or could this be a defect?
It appears only when the screen is too bright or the background color is white!
View attachment 232605

Can you somehow take a picture of it so we could see? It could possibly be a defect because it shouldn't emit light from the physical button

Android104

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you somehow take a picture of it so we could see? It could possibly be a defect because it shouldn't emit light from the physical button

I got this reply from Samsung "Regarding the Home key emitting light, I would like to inform you that it is not an issue. When the phone's screen brightness is set to high or when the screen background is white it looks as if the Home key is emitting light. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke