Does anyone know which type of cable I would need to be able to take an external source, such as a radio or similar and have that come INTO the s7 galaxy and record the audio from it using built in voice/recording software.. basically a glorified digital recorder..

I was thinking it needs to be 3 pole (1/8 / 3.5mm) on the phone end and on the other female for 2 pole for standard stereo or mono 1/8 plugs? That is.. assuming this even works, but i think i read it does.

Thanks in advance
    07-15-2016 10:36 AM
    I don't know if this will help or not, but nobody else has offered help, so I thought I'd give it a try.
    I like to use my phone to play Spotify through my audio system. I purchased a simple one into two cord at Best Buy. Plug the headphone plug into my phone, the RCA's go into the input of preamp tape.
    What you want to do is plug the RCA 's into output of radio, tape etc. That way the signal should come into your phone.
    Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.

Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread
    07-15-2016 03:38 PM
    Typically you have a single band on the plug meaning its a mono plug, dual band is for stereo and tripple band is for stereo with microphone.
    The tripple band gives you 4 contacts, 1 common ground, 1 mic, 1 left and 1 right. Not sure exactly how the device will interpert audio going into the device since typically its designed for audio out unless the mic side lines up properly.
    Sounds like some trial and error might be in order here.

Maybe this will help.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
    07-15-2016 03:49 PM
    Typically you have a single band on the plug meaning its a mono plug, dual band is for stereo and tripple band is for stereo with microphone.
    The tripple band gives you 4 contacts, 1 common ground, 1 mic, 1 left and 1 right. Not sure exactly how the device will interpert audio going into the device since typically its designed for audio out unless the mic side lines up properly.
    Sounds like some trial and error might be in order here.

Maybe this will help.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
    Yeah thats what i figured.. i'm assuming 2 pole on the "radio" side, then on the phone, ill try the 3 pole at first, see if i can get the microphone portion to trigger, then the voice recorder to hear whats coming in i guess.
    07-15-2016 04:09 PM
    If I understand the situation correctly...you have a source without a digital interface? Or at least one you can access?
    Stereo is sufficient as it's going to be the cheapest and easiest to access and your quality is going to be questionable anyway.
    MY guess is the phone input is mono and digitally split when you're wearing headphone.....which means your song is going to be mono too.
    07-15-2016 06:40 PM
    If I understand the situation correctly...you have a source without a digital interface? Or at least one you can access?
    Stereo is sufficient as it's going to be the cheapest and easiest to access and your quality is going to be questionable anyway.
    MY guess is the phone input is mono and digitally split when you're wearing headphone.....which means your song is going to be mono too.
    well specifically its a radio (sb7) that has a headphone out jack.. i tried taking the 2 pole to 3 pole cable from the "radio" to the phone.. and used the voice recorder software.. but it didnt seem to detect an "input", i tried pulling the 3 pole out slightly to see if i could trigger it as the input but it was a no go.. unsure if its a software limitation or the wrong cable.
    07-20-2016 02:57 PM
    well specifically its a radio (sb7) that has a headphone out jack.. i tried taking the 2 pole to 3 pole cable from the "radio" to the phone.. and used the voice recorder software.. but it didnt seem to detect an "input", i tried pulling the 3 pole out slightly to see if i could trigger it as the input but it was a no go.. unsure if its a software limitation or the wrong cable.
    Are "we" 100% certain the "headphone jack" can be used as an input??
    07-22-2016 09:38 AM
    Are "we" 100% certain the "headphone jack" can be used as an input??
    I was under the impression it could be, at least with headsets, but maybe voice recording software (digital recording) doesnt have the ability to pick up on it?
    07-22-2016 11:12 AM
    i believe this cable may work, rather than just a straight headphone to 3 pole.. breaks the signal into two so you can do the microphone portion, though i dont know why the 3 pole couldnt be "made" to work..
    (read somewhere else)
    https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Buddy...cUvbUpU5277717

orr.. it might just need the app that supports the microphone as input, like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nger.rec&hl=en (not free) or this one maybe (free) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...arecorder.free
    07-22-2016 03:46 PM
    These are the ear buds that came with my S7E...notice the 2 lines on the plug and no mic like we see in the 2nd pic

Here we have earbuds with a mic, notice it has 3 lines

This leads me to believe the jack on the S7E is not equipped for input, otherwise it would come with mic/ear bud combo...IMO
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    07-22-2016 06:33 PM