Using power button to lock screen

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, lock screen and security, secure lock settings, secured lock time. if you choose the first selection, then under Secure Lock Settings it states that "Screen will locked instantly with the power key or screen timeout". I get that. But if you choose any other selection under Secured Lock Time, the power button no longer locks the screen. So my question is there any other menu on the settings which allows me to use the power button independent of the screen timeout function. If I have the secured lock time to 30 minutes and 5 minutes later I want to lock the screen, I cannot easily do it. There should be a lock switch independent of the screen timeout...

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The setting you're looking at IS the Power Button setting. That's not the screen time out; that setting is in the Display setion. No other way to have a different behavior of the Power Button and locking the screen. You can, however, add widgets that lock the device with a tap (not sure if you need root, though, but I don't think you would).

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
thank you for your response. The disadvantage of having the power key to lock activated is that you cannot have your phones screen timeout and go dark without the screen locking. Those two functions are married together. At least on the Edge S7 anyways. My old phone simply had an of/off switch for that function and this one DOES NOT. While I would like to conserve the battery, I don't always want my phone to lock every time the display goes dark. Nor do I want the screen to remain lit for long periods of time in order to prevent the screen from locking. I hope that articulates my point a little better.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, OK! Gotcha!

Well, not sure if it's a carrier thing then but mine turns off the screen after 30 seconds but doesn't lock the device until after 2 minutes (that's what I set it up to). So here are the settings I see:
1) Display Settings, Display Timeout. I set this to 30 seconds. Turning the screen off automatically doesn't lock my device because of the settings below.
2) Lockscreen and Security, Secure Lock Settings. There I set the Lock Automatically to 2 minutes after it turns off. Then I have a switch that says Lock Instantly with Power Key (I keep it on, but if you keep that switch flipped, it should let you turn the screen on and off without locking the device unless you set up the Lock Automatically setting to Immediately).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'd say your S7 Edge is weird in my case the lock instantly with power key does not affect the phone auto locking after screen time out.

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_20160729-113230.jpgScreenshot_20160729-112611.jpg

Selecting any other option other than the first one turns off the ability to lock with the power button. My weird *** ATT S7 has no of/off switch to divorce that function from Secured Lock time. I guess it just sux, lol.

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 233559View attachment 233558

Selecting any other option other than the first one turns off the ability to lock with the power button. My weird *** ATT S7 has no of/off switch to divorce that function from Secured Lock time. I guess it just sux, lol.
That's the point of that options you are showing. That option says that the screen will lock x seconds after you press the power button.

Interestingly, I have different options available

b59fb3f10d38b5b953bc8f0b5bc92902.jpg

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
OH thanks for that! that was my next post. I do not have that menu with that option is my entire point. A simple lock instantly with power key would have solved it. Please tell me that is NOT an Edge S7 screen shot?? How could they leave out such a simple feature?

valley28

Dec 3, 2017
Visit site
I have the latest Samsung galaxy 8+. This phone has more bugs than a sewer drain. If I turn on the feature to lock the phone with power button. Then push power button, the phone goes dark, but wait 20 sec push power button again and phone says "swipe to unlock. Even though I have fingerprint AND pincode set . ANYONE can unlock my phone with only a swipe. I've tried many settings, nothing fixes it... I had to factory reset it to fix a bug yesterday which erase all my data, because of settings crashing every time I opened it. THIS galaxy 8+ is more unstable than Charles Manson on rollerblades, take my advice... buy something else...

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I once made the mistake of locking my screen (engaged fingerprint/pass code features) and then every time i pressed the HOME button, it would make me swipe to unlock, which unlocked it. It took me hours to figure out that it was my goddamn finger on the home button (fingerprint duh) that was unlocking it. Go ahead and laugh, I did...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the latest Samsung galaxy 8+. This phone has more bugs than a sewer drain. If I turn on the feature to lock the phone with power button. Then push power button, the phone goes dark, but wait 20 sec push power button again and phone says "swipe to unlock. Even though I have fingerprint AND pincode set . ANYONE can unlock my phone with only a swipe. I've tried many settings, nothing fixes it... I had to factory reset it to fix a bug yesterday which erase all my data, because of settings crashing every time I opened it. THIS galaxy 8+ is more unstable than Charles Manson on rollerblades, take my advice... buy something else...

Uh, if you swipe that, you'll see the pincode entry. That's how it is for almost every android phone now. That swipe screen will be present.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair