Anyone have an S7 edge or S6 edge on Straight Talk?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have 5 lines with verizon wireless and am getting tired of the BS that started 2 years ago. I've heard that straight talk from walmart uses the verizon system. Ive already checked, and my phones are compatible. Id like some input about service. Is it the exact same as verizon? I'd like to try 1 of my lines. But would like input first thanks. Anyone know of another carrier that my Verizon cdma phones will work on?

Posted via Android Central App

anon(1458)

Oct 2, 2009
www.facebook.com
I use a Verizon S7 Edge on Straight Talk and haven't had any issues at all. Works like a champ. Go to Walmart and get the Bring your own Phone kit, pick the right Verizon Sim card in the package and then activate. Works great. And yes, it uses the Verizon towers.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bichon-Fan

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I also have an S7 Edge on Straight Talk/Verizon. While I am generally happy due to the cost savings (which are substantial for a person who only has one phone), I have to disagree that there are no issues. First, you won't get Verizon over-the-air updates. If you want to keep your phone current (highly recommended, as these include Android security updates), you'll need to use Verizon's software upgrade assistant on your computer. Second, you'll lose the ability to use Voice-over-LTE, (Advanced Calling 1.0 in Verizon speak), so you won't be able to be on a voice call and use high speed data simultaneously. Third, the Verizon/Straight Talk data service is capped at 5 megabits/sec. Finally, I understand that the coverage of Straight Talk/Verizon is the same as Verizon's own prepaid service, not their regular post-paid service, in that the prepaid plans can't use all of the roaming agreements that VZW has in place.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I also have an S7 Edge on Straight Talk/Verizon. While I am generally happy due to the cost savings (which are substantial for a person who only has one phone), I have to disagree that there are no issues. First, you won't get Verizon over-the-air updates. If you want to keep your phone current (highly recommended, as these include Android security updates), you'll need to use Verizon's software upgrade assistant on your computer. Second, you'll lose the ability to use Voice-over-LTE, (Advanced Calling 1.0 in Verizon speak), so you won't be able to be on a voice call and use high speed data simultaneously. Third, the Verizon/Straight Talk data service is capped at 5 megabits/sec. Finally, I understand that the coverage of Straight Talk/Verizon is the same as Verizon's own prepaid service, not their regular post-paid service, in that the prepaid plans can't use all of the roaming agreements that VZW has in place.

Yup, that speed cap is horrible. Straight Talk at&t has no cap, I believe. Fastest download I've experienced was 55 Mbps.

tylergarey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm not using a galaxy. But I have a Moto Z Droid Force and I'm using straight talk with the verizon BYOP sim. It works great! I don't mind the 5 mb/s speed cap. It's fast enough for everything I do (Youtube, email, iHearRadio, streaming netflix and vudu).

Value: If you have a lot of phone lines, it may not be that much better than using one of the big carriers standard plans. I think the cheapest plan is 5 GB for $45, multiply by 4 lines, that's 180 plus tax. That's not including any phone subsidizing (payment plans) that some choose to do. But if its just one or two lines, then I think straight talk is a great value.

Updates: I just got an update pushed to my phone on September 1. (Software Version: MCL24.246-36. Call audio improvements; Latest Android™ security updates and bug fixes)

Complaint: The only complaint is the Advanced Calling (VoLTE) feature not working. My old phone Moto X 2013 (Verizon model), I was using it on Straight Talk and I was able to do the phone call and use my data at the same time (from what I read its similar to VoLTE, but not the same thing). But with newer Verizon phones, you're being forced use Advanced Calling and must have an actual Verizon account to utilize this feature. I hope someone smarter than me is working on a fix or work-around.

Hope this helps!:cool: