Horrible battery drain

Sean Fanelli

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Just bought this phone anout 2 days ago, and the battery is draining extremely fast. I know this happens with sime phones, do i just need to give it a week? Im losong almost 10% a half hour

Posted via the Android Central App

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine did the same for about the first two weeks, example was going from 100% overnight to 75% the next morning, then it settled down to using just 2 or 3% overnight and similarly using not much playing games etc through the day.

About 6 weeks ago the 100% - 75% overnight nonsense has returned and it's been like that for 6 weeks, it's just chewing through the battery and I don't even use it much at all.

As a contrast, my near 4 year old Nexus 4, on the exact same plan with the exact same carrier loses a fraction of the battery in the same time. My Edge 7 was down to 40% now from a full charge last night (about 16 hours), I haven't so much as sent a text from it in that time or browsed or played games, no screen time except for checking the time, while my Nexus 4 is 78%.

The Edge 7 is supposed to have fancy battery saving features, (app power save is switched on) a much bigger battery holding much more charge yet it's burning through it faster than an ancient Nexus 4. That's not progress imo.

On the Edge 7, Cell Standby is always the top power user with about 40 odd %, on the Nexus, mobile standby is 1%.

Sean Fanelli

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Its slowinf down a bit as the say goes on, but id expect more than 7 hrs on a 3600 mah battery

I could very well still be in new shiny toy mode, i am using it quite a bit

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1229.jpg
    1229.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 159

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Unless I'm playing on the internet a lot, I get two to three days on my 7e, and still have battery left. The Play Store and a couple other apps have gone nuts occasionally and really pull the battery down, but a reboot has fixed those times. If you're seeing a large battery drain chances are you have an app that is doing it. Also, if you have excessive push notifications from social networks that will do the same thing. Install GSAM and track your usage for awhile. There are also may threads here about this same issue that might be helpful.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'll take a screenshot tomorrow, I'll charge both phones late at night and check them in the morning. What's the best way to upload the pics to here?

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
JucqN

WGCph

That's it's use sitting by my bed over night.

The Nexus 4, I can't find where the images are stored. It uses 1% for Mobile Standby in the same time.and Google Play Services is the top battery user. For effs sake, the images aren't working.

Both phones are on the same individual contract with the same carrier. I've had the Nexus since it's release nearly 4 years ago.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
That's it's use sitting by my bed over night.

The Nexus 4, I can't find where the images are stored. It uses 1% for Mobile Standby in the same time.and Google Play Services is the top battery user.

Both phones are on the same individual contract with the same carrier. I've had the Nexus since it's release nearly 4 years ago.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is still on 52%. The S7 Edge is down to 38% having had to be charged to 96% after going down to 50%. Similar usage between the two phones.

So the S7 Edge went from 100% to 50%, charged back up to 96% now it's down to 38%.
The Nexus 4 is still on the original charge when I did both phones.

Something is seriously amiss when the phone with the battery saving features and a battery that's much bigger and newer by 4 years is getting comprehensively owned in the battery stakes.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
S7 Edge was on 7% this morning so I've had to charge it fully again. The Nexus 4 is still on 38%.

S7 (as with Nexus 4) has had the initial charge to 100% and now has had to be charged fully twice. Nexus 4 is still on initial charge.

So in the time the S7 Edge has gone from 100% > 50% > 96% > 7% > 100% the Nexus 4 has gone from 100% > 38%. The usage of each phone has been broadly similar.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've got to say I'm getting tremendous battery life. It's the first smartphone I've ever owned, that i have no worries about making it through the whole day. As an added measure, i am running greenify.

Posted via Android Central App

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I had horrible drain in the first couple of weeks then it performed like a champ for about 6 weeks and now it's back to what it was like in the first couple of weeks. I have no idea why except cellstandby takes number 1 spot.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mine is finally getting great battery life. After exhaustive efforts, I finally found the culprit for me. GasBuddy completely drains your battery even when not in use. Bottom line check your apps.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
OK, final summary. In the time it's taken a 4 year old Nexus 4 to go from 100% to 1% the S7 Edge, which is on the same deal with the same carrier, has done this battery wise -

S7 Edge -
100% > 50% > 96% > 7% > 100% > 8%

Nexus 4 -
100% > 1%

Screenshot_20160809-132212.jpg

The only usage the S7 Edge had in that time was sending and receiving about 8 texts. It had zero screen time outside of occasionally checking the time.

If an app was causing this surely it would show up in the battery used list. CellStandby is always the top user.

Last edited:

jelliebean82

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
My S7E and also my husbands has horrible battery drain. I am getting very frustrated. In 6 hours I'm down to 32%...that's just basic checking FB, email etc

thecomicbookandme

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Doc, something is definitely wrong. You should be getting much more battery life. Any reason why your cell standby is so high? Mine typically reads around 7%.

Yea! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread

xXxMVPete

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Mine is finally getting great battery life. After exhaustive efforts, I finally found the culprit for me. GasBuddy completely drains your battery even when not in use. Bottom line check your apps.
How did you figure out that GasBuddy was draining your battery? Did you uninstall it or change a setting within the app?

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
It looks like you have weak signal. Constant search for signal will drain your battery quickly. Also your Google play services percentage is pretty high. Mine hovers around 7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC