Why bother with the S7 Edge now that there is the Note 7

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Screen is too big. S7 edge is about as large as I would want to go with a phone. Plus the upgrade isn't worth it, hardware in the note 7 is the same, but smaller battery. No brainer for me.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I stretched my budget buying the S7E so no way was I going to pay extra for an s-pen and a fraction of a bigger screen size. If the Note7 had 6GB of ram or something...maybe!

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
If size is a criteria I would argue they are ostensibly undifferentiated. Accordingly, if a choice is available I don't know why one would choose the s7e since you're getting some additional trinkets on the n7. The price difference appears to be nominal.

Maybe because not every single person wants to have a Note. I don't find interest in it because I don't care for the s-pen and besides according to battery stats my phone has a bigger battery so that's a win in my part. Even if I had to choose between the note 7 and the s7e I still would go with the s7edge. What the note offers is not worth the extra money for me when the s7e would do exactly what I want and need it to. Everyone has their preference and I am glad samsung made the s7e it's the phone I wanted from Samsung. The additional trinkets is useless to me because I never would utilize it

Posted via the Android Central App

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because not every single person wants to have a Note. I don't find interest in it because I don't care for the s-pen and besides according to battery stats my phone has a bigger battery so that's a win in my part. Even if I had to choose between the note 7 and the s7e I still would go with the s7edge. What the note offers is not worth the extra money for me when the s7e would do exactly what I want and need it to. Everyone has their preference and I am glad samsung made the s7e it's the phone I wanted from Samsung. The additional trinkets is useless to me because I never would utilize it

Slightly larger screen that may actually improve handling over the s7e because of the design changes, gorilla 5, usb-c benefits, updated software, iris scanner etc arguably is worth the extra 40 or 50 bucks. I believe the notes have better resale as well.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Surely 100mah wouldn't make an appreciable difference. For a bit larger screen I'd be happy to keep it on the charger for a few extra minutes.

That larger screen is also going to use more juice.

For you the larger screen is an improvement, for me it isn't.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Slightly larger screen that may actually improve handling over the s7e because of the design changes, gorilla 5, usb-c benefits, updated software, iris scanner etc arguably is worth the extra 40 or 50 bucks. I believe the notes have better resale as well.

Do you own Samsung stock or something? You sure are pushing the hard sell.

A couple of us have very specifically told you more than once why we prefer the S7E. That doesn't mean we hate the Note 7, or you.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
My boyfriend is going to get the note 7, I have the S7edge. Note 7 is too large for me. Basically the exact same specs but a smaller battery and spen. Which I never used on my note 5 lol its all subjective preference and you are most comfortable using and what suits your needs the most. Just because it was released 4 months better doesn't mean its better though. To me it's basically my phone plus a pen lol

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Doubt about the resale value. Note series is a niche market. Not everyone wants a Note.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you own Samsung stock or something? You sure are pushing the hard sell.

A couple of us have very specifically told you more than once why we prefer the S7E. That doesn't mean we hate the Note 7, or you.
wish I did buy stock in them long ago, lol. Appreciate all of the opinions although for me now that I've seen the comparisons I'm not understanding how a 4mm taller device or nominally smaller battery could make a difference given some of the updated or additional features...but that's my opinion. Obviously Samsung doesn't agree with me and they are more likely to side with you i.e. they do in fact see differentiation beyond the spen hence the two models. I do think that if I were vested in a s7e the n7 wouldn't be a worthy upgrade.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Doubt about the resale value. Note series is a niche market. Not everyone wants a Note.

I suppose it depends on the geography among other factors. In Vancouver the n5 seem to garnering a bit more than the 6e if that is any indication.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If I didn't already have the GS7E, I would've bought the Note 7 ONLY if it had the new microSD technology. All the other new or updated features, I don't really care for.

I'll be upgrading to the GS8E most likely.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
If I didn't already have the S7 edge, I'd get the Note 7. I like the larger screen and it looks like the edge screen is easier to hold. The S-pen I could take or leave. I could see it giving up some battery life, though, which I would definitely not want to do. The edge just gets me through the day.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If I didn't have an S7E right now and will be buying a phone I'd still go S7E.

1. Coming from a Note, I hardly ever used the SPen. So paying for that again is a useless expense.

2. The S7E will have a price decrease a week or 2 after the Note 7 officially launches, to move stocks. So the price difference will increase to more than just 50 bucks. Probably closer to 100 bucks or even more. So it's going to be more bang for buck.

3. The Note 7 will eat more battery, otherwise you won't be using a number of the new features. The feature for the AOD notes itself would be an extra battery use. The bigger screen as well. The digitizer also is more power hungry due to it having smaller proprietary touch points to accomodate the S Pen. I'd expect it's battery life to be closer to that of the S7, than the Edge, in real life usage with all features turned on.

4. Most of the software features will be introduced to the S7E anyway with a major update. Probably along with Android N. It's been a historical thing, that the S series also get the Note software eventually, except for hardware specific things. The best most visible example probably was that the S3 did not get released with multiwindow, but got it after the Note 2 launched with the feature.

Basically, the Note 7 doesn't have anything to offer me that I find interestjng that I won't get from getting the cheaper S7. The bigger screen and S Pen aren't that attractive to me on a phone.

BluBrett

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm could return my S7e for a Note 7 right now if I wanted. I'm not going to because:

-Battery life is huge for me. That extra battery size and smaller display in the S7e is glorious.

-$80 premium over S7e

-Extra stylus I won't use (and yes, I've owned Notes previously)

-Preferable form factor and looks in S7e.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm could return my S7e for a Note 7 right now if I wanted. I'm not going to because:

-Battery life is huge for me. That extra battery size and smaller display in the S7e is glorious.

-$80 premium over S7e

-Extra stylus I won't use (and yes, I've owned Notes previously)

-Preferable form factor and looks in S7e.

I agree. I'm in the same boat as you, could return the s7 edge and get the note 7 but I won't. I think that the edge meets my needs better.

Posted from my pink gold S7 edge

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

They do but I think it's more to do with the larger display being worth more. The s6 edge plus and the note 5 have roughly the same resale value here in the UK. The s7 edge won't be worth much less as it's almost the same screen size.

Posted from my pink gold S7 edge

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I sold my S7 Edge and I'm going to the Note 7. I use the S-pen though and the bigger screen is a plus for me so.. Makes sense for my needs :).

blackeagle7

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I got a factory unlocked US S7E last week for $770. I'm debating what to do now as like some of the note features - gorilla glass 5, software tweaks, more ergonomic?, may use s-pen. But it will be carrier locked which I hate as it limits my flexibility with international travel and adds bloatware. I also like the fact that the s7e looks great and is small enough for one hand use and pocket.

Hmm decisions!!

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
USB-C in the Note would definitely make me pick the S7 Edge if I'd a choice of the two. It's never been implemented properly and nothing is clear with it, so I'd like to avoid it as long as possible.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has their preferences. The Note 7 looks like a great phone, but I still prefer my s7edge. Nothing will change my mind about that just like no one can change your mind about liking the Note series. The Note series are not for me answer it never will be no matter what it offers. I want a phone I will be happy with and I am happy with the S series. I don't understand why you are trying so hard to change our minds. You can like the Note 7. It doesn't mean that we have to want it. I knew about the new Note addition when I bought my s7edge and I still went and bought it and I'm glad I did. It's the perfect phone for me. Everyone has their preference and just because the Note 7 is coming out doesn't mean that everyone should go and buy it if they don't want to

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad