Does it matter which ROM I use to get OTAs?

nitzero

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So my S7E came with a branded rom from my carrier, update dated back in March when I purchased the phone and that's the only rom available to date and I never got any OTAs from Samsung.

So I thought it was due being a branded rom and I decided to switch over to an unbranded rom, ok, this time there were many updates after I flashed the rom available at sammobile but still haven't received any OTA, still stuck at G935FXXU1APER, 1 June Security Patch.

What's the deal with it? Do I have to keep updating manually? I was hoping for a better battery life that was announced back on some updates. On the other hand I'm missing some features from the branded rom that came with the phone such as the spam filter.

Last time I had a Samsung device was my S3 and it only updated from 4.2 to 4.3, on the other hand I kept getting incremental updates on my Sony devices through OTA.

I have disabled a bunch of system apps but I don't think they affect it, such as facebook, whatsapp and instagram, call me anti social if you must lol.

Thanks!

Edit: My device status is official, it's neither unlocked or modified in anyway.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If your bootloader is unlocked, you have a custom recovery or are rooted, your software may show as "modified" which could prevent OTA's from arriving or being successfully installed.

nitzero

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
It's official, I've only flashed the official rom, haven't unlocked the bootloader or tried to root, Knox is clean and hasn't been tripped.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes the updates are not distributed via OTA, but through SmartSwitch for PC. An example is my Galaxy Tab where SmarSwitch showed me a downloadable update but checking on the device says no update.

nitzero

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
No luck, I marked the update options on Smartswitch and it hasn't downloaded nor checked for updates, it's weird, seems like everyone else but me is getting updates, I was first worried about the security patches that was first stuck at 1st May and it's easy to bypass the Google's FRP protection in case if a thief gets their hands on my handset, so I updated to the unbranded rom code from ZVV to ZTO (Brazil) no carrier and still many builds were released but no OTA was ever received.

I'm also having some problems with high battery usage, I know there were many updates around this, so any improvements would be welcome.

If it matters I've also just arrived from Netherlands last week, didn't receive any updates there either lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2