I've been a verizon customer for 24 years. But over the last 2 years they're getting sneaky, they lie, and trick you into things that raise your bill. If I didn't check mine every month, it would be even higher. I've read that total wireless runs on the Verizon wireless network. Would it be 4glte? Can i bring my current verizon phones to total? Ive read the poor reviews, but are they really that bad or are the reviews just from people that have had issues?

Posted via Android Central App
    08-13-2016 06:13 AM
    I just paid off my s7 edge with verizon. And my bill is just stupid high. Great service and signal for sure. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I wanna try total wireless since it does use verizon towers and I'd get 5gb of 4g data and then it would only be 35 bucks a month which is a great deal. (Compared to my 4gb data with verizon for 60 bucks) My s7 edge is eligible to be on total wireless.

If you go to total wireless website and go to the bring a phone plan and enter your imei number it will say if your phones will work on their network.

Only concern I have Is updates.... Samsung/Verizon is already a pain with updates on their phones. So would I still get the Samsung/Verizon updates since I'm using a Verizon s7 edge or would I have you wait for total wireless to push out an update? (Which would never happen) only thing holding me back is updates.
    08-20-2016 09:54 PM
    I don't know for certain, but suspect that it's just like the Verizon wireless service through Straight Talk, and you most likely won't receive over-the-air updates. That's not a major issue since you can use the Verizon software update assistant to upgrade it over the USB cable.

Other issues that I have the ST/Verizon that you'd probably also have - since both Straight Talk and Total Wireless are brands owned by TracFone:
    1. The LTE data is capped at 5 megabit/sec.
    2. You'll lose the ability to use Voice-over-LTE (or Advanced Calling 1.0 as Verizon calls it)
    3. Verizon has roaming agreements in place that only work for subscribers on their postpaid network.
    4. No visual voicemail

I would also check to be sure that the Total Wireless plan you are considering really has 4G LTE data included. Since both Total Wireless and Straight Talk are both TracFone brands sold at WalMart, that the Total Wireless offering would be $10 cheaper for the same offering seems odd.
    08-21-2016 08:10 AM
    I'm TRYING to go through the process of transferring my Galaxy S7 (not Edge) from Verizon to Total Wireless and it is not going well.

Voice transferred over fine right away. I was on the phone with them using the number that I was transferring and during our call, it got disconnected. I rebooted it and when it turned back on, it connected to TW voice but no data. It has been 7 hours and data still not working at all. I've ported my number before from Sprint to Verizon and data took a couple hours after voice. Even then, I think I had slow data and it just took some time to get full speed. Here I have nothing. I am places that I KNOW have 4G LTE coverage. I have bars but the 4G LTE is greyed out on my screen. Yes, I have my data turned on, on my phone.

Their customer service is not pleasant to deal with. Pretty much no technical knowledge and basically don't do anything but tell me to wait. Seems strange for voice to transfer instantly and data lag so far behind. I've rebooted my phone about 2 dozen times and nothing. I'll update as to what happens.

In addition to the other drawbacks for Total Wireless, they do not allow hotspot tethering. Per Google Play, PDANet/Foxfi should work with the S7 on Android 6.0 using a Verizon phone. Also factor in garbage outsourced customer service that has no patience and seem as if they are trying to end every call as soon as it starts.
    11-27-2016 07:34 PM
    Pre paid always has bad customer service, they already have your money.
    11-27-2016 07:45 PM
    I'm TRYING to go through the process of transferring my Galaxy S7 (not Edge) from Verizon to Total Wireless and it is not going well.

Voice transferred over fine right away. I was on the phone with them using the number that I was transferring and during our call, it got disconnected. I turned the phone off. Swapped out the Verizon SIM for the Total Wireless SIM and when I turned it back on, it connected to TW voice but no data. It has been 7 hours and data still not working at all. I've ported my number before from Sprint to Verizon and data took a couple hours after voice. Even then, I think I had slow data and it just took some time to get full speed. Here I have nothing. I am places that I KNOW have 4G LTE coverage. I have bars but the 4G LTE is greyed out on my screen. Yes, I have my data turned on, on my phone.

Their customer service is not pleasant to deal with. Pretty much no technical knowledge and basically don't do anything but tell me to wait. Seems strange for voice to transfer instantly and data lag so far behind. I've rebooted my phone about 2 dozen times and nothing. I'll update as to what happens.

In addition to the other drawbacks for Total Wireless, they do not allow hotspot tethering. Per Google Play, PDANet/Foxfi should work with the S7 on Android 6.0 using a Verizon phone. Also factor in garbage outsourced customer service that has no patience and seem as if they are trying to end every call as soon as it starts.
    11-27-2016 07:51 PM
    FINALLLY got my Verizon S7 (not Edge) and phone number transferred to Total Wireless:

1. Cannot use data and voice at the same time!
    2. Throttled to 5Mbps.
    3. Hotspot disabled. (will try FoxFi)
    4. No roaming.
    5. No visual voicemail. (will try YouMail)
    6. Garbage customer service.
    11-28-2016 07:44 PM
    I'm nearly 2 decades with VZW, the best wireless network IMHO, and the most expensive carrier definitely.

I too have been constantly looking out for ways to get rid of VZW as its bill keeps getting ridiculously higher and absolutely not justified so.

Only few days ago, during the New Year weekend, I was aware about TW. In a short 3 days of this weekend I have educated myself by speaking to 5 TW CRs. Here are what I’ve observed of the TW CRs and learned about TW technologies.

1. Customer Representatives
    I've read many reviews complaining on many aspects ranging from foreigner accents, not too technical, and the likes... My personal experience was actually very different. Totally closer to 3 hours with 5 different CRs, they left me very impressed
    a. They explained well the technical questions
    b. They were very courteous , patient and never drop my calls, with the longest was over an hour
    c. In this last and longest phone call when I was assisted to make the switch over from VZW to TW, the TW CR lady was willing to be connected 3-way with VZW CRs (actually 3 VZW CRs) until my phone can be positively confirmed ported out to TW
    d. While I was very thankful for the TW CR’s patience and helpfulness throughout the long 3-way calls, she was actually concerned for the troubles I went through. So much that on her own initiations, she had made her case to her superior and successfully providing me the first full month complementary service plan for 3-line, 12GB (an $85 value). That blew me away! What GREAT Customer Service TW has!

2. Technical aspects that I’ve learned for my specific needs. Btw, I have 3 lines with VZW, 10GB plan
    a. TW runs on same VZW 4G LTE network, towers
    b. I’ll need to confirm 4G LTE throttled down to 5mbps since it hasn’t been brought up to my attention. But honestly, I’m willing to live with 5mbps to save $$
    c. Switch over from VZW to TW will save us >45% per month
    d. I recommend you not to buy TW service plan at Walmart, not even buy TW micro-SIM at Walmart ($9.99). It’s free from TW. Once you decided to switch over, call TW CR number. TW CR will determine if your phone is eligible to port. If so, TW will ship micro-SIM free to you. My micro-SIM is on its way and will arrive later this week
    e. On the same phone call when I decided to port my VZW device and during the port eligibility check, I was also told that if my phone is ineligible, TW has 2 (used) 3G phone models that they can provide free of charge to TW new customers
    f. Don’t bother using TW website to check for your phone port eligibility. It never worked for me. TW CR can confirm over the phone
    g. You will need to call your current wireless carrier CR to request “deactivate your phone (device) from the current phone number” before calling TW CR to port. If TW CR told you that your phone is ineligible, make sure TW CR will stay on a 3-way conference call with your current wireless carrier until it is resolved. This is what I did

Btw, my plan is to port one phone first, see how the experience goes, then will proceed (or not) with porting out my remaining 2 phones.
    I’ll provide more updates on porting out to VZW once the free TW micro-SIM arrive.
    01-04-2017 10:38 PM
    FINALLLY got my Verizon S7 (not Edge) and phone number transferred to Total Wireless:

2. Throttled to 5Mbps.
    4. No roaming.
    I just got off the phone with the 6th TW CR for a 20 minute conversation. I attempted to get answers to the points above. Here are answers from this TW CR:
    1. Cannot use data and voice at the same time: TW has no control over this feature of the device.
    2. Throttled to 5Mbps: TW CR was not definitive. He mentioned that the throttled down to 5mbps could be the plan that VZW provides to TW. To me it was a mere speculation. I requested him to research further and notate the answer in my account when he concludes his research.
    3. Hotspot disabled: Again TW has no control over this feature of the device. He did further stated that the TW doesn't allow the use of tethering, however he acknowledged that TW can't control that feature from our device either. He brought up the limited data, i.e. 5GB, 12GB, etc... to which point I responded that TW customers can buy extra 3GB for $10, and he agreed. He further confirmed that there will be notifications when the plan is near depletion, and once depleted, the device will be offline, data-wise.
    4. No roaming: Confirmed. I have no issue with this since VZW network is the best and I never had any issue in its domestic coverage areas. Furthermore, since VZW charges excessively high $$$ for roaming and international calls both outgoing and incoming, I have always blocked all long distance calls (international calls) anyway.
    5. No visual voicemail: Nowadays, voicemail was pretty much a thing of the past and I've never used them so I didn't bring it up.
    6. Garbage customer service: This is a very individual and subjective experience so I have no comment

On items #1, 2, 3, I will report back once the TW SIM arrives tomorrow and my phone got TW-activated.
    01-05-2017 01:13 PM

2. Throttled to 5Mbps.
    4. No roaming.
    Im glad I didn't make the move. Instead, I went with Google project fi. It works great. Keep in mind thst your verizon S7 EDGE or any verizon phone, must be unlocked. Also, you won't get the switching from carrier to carrier. You'll be tied to T-Mobile. Thats not been an issue since they've improved their overall coverage. I actually get better and stronger service than I was with verizon. My bill is about half. If you're a heavy data user, fi may not be for you.
    01-05-2017 02:48 PM
    1. Cannot use data and voice at the same time: TW has no control over this feature of the device.
    2. Throttled to 5Mbps: TW CR was not definitive.
    3. Hotspot disabled: Again TW has no control over this feature of the device.

On items #1, 2, 3, I will report back once the TW SIM arrives tomorrow and my phone got TW-activated.
    Got TW SIM today.
    Activation was a breeze and completed within minutes though the preceding account creation took nearly half an hour.
    Voice quality was excellent even when I'm in the basement.

1. Cannot use data and voice at the same time: True. Loss of this feature is a showstopper for me.
    2. Throttled to 5Mbps: True.
    3. Hotspot disabled: True. Loss of this feature is a showstopper for me.

I will not continue with TW after the complementary $85, 3-line, 12GB service plan expired.

:-(
    01-07-2017 01:33 AM

Got TW SIM today.
    Activation was a breeze and completed within minutes though the preceding account creation took nearly half an hour.
    Voice quality was excellent even when I'm in the basement.

1. Cannot use data and voice at the same time: True. Loss of this feature is a showstopper for me.

:-(
    I think it have to do with what pphone you have, I switch iPhone X and Notes 8 to TW, the Iphone X can talk and browse the web at the same time. but on Samsung Note 8 I can not talk and browser the web at the same time unless wifi is turn on. some on internet will say it have something to with SIM card, but I took this same SIM card and put on iPhone 6 and I can talk while using the data. on the Note 8 the APN setting was gray out and you can not edit or add new entry. it seem to be missing the information for MMSC, MCC, MNC, APN type and protocol. So look like TW is iPhone friendly

if you can edit your APN maybe you can try set it like this here and report back to us

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-t...s-not-working/

I was told TW have no control over APN, that was Verizon Wireless and my Notes 8 is unlock purchase directly from Samsung and it used to be on Verizon post pay services that allow data and talk at a same time, until I switch over to TW
    07-14-2018 03:01 AM