Gear VR. Worth it?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I want to try the gear vr, unfortunately I don't know anyone that has one. Are they worth buying? Or is it just a waste of cash? Share your opinions with me, please.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I got mine when I got my phone from Best Buy. It is actually very neat, but I cant already tell the novelty is slowly wearing off. Don't get me wrong, I am actually glad I got it, I just don't use it on a daily basis anymore. Most of the good games ya need a controller with. If you are seriously considering dipping your toe into the VR pool, give Google Cardboard a try first. Its a cheaper alternative to someone who is on the fence. Yeah the Gear VR is ALOT better then GC, at least you will have an idea. Also being Oculus related, the games mostly look awesome, but I find that after 30 min or so I need to take a small break lol

Also, Sammy is releasing an updated model, and if you decide you really like it, you can probably get the one like I got for cheap, once its released

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
It's worth a hundred buck, but you're not going to give up your "playstation" for it.
Only complaint I have is it focuses like binoculars, which sucks for me because I have contacts...my vision is vastly different in each eye. Hopefully in future model they will implement a feature to focus each eye separately.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Volume is on the phone, but there is an option in one of the menus on the VR screen (well with your phone inserted) , that allows you to adjust up or down, among other things

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Volume is on the phone, but there is an option in one of the menus on the VR screen (well with your phone inserted) , that allows you to adjust up or down, among other things
Ok so there's no type of headphone. All sounds comes from the device's speaker? Correct?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I want to try the gear vr, unfortunately I don't know anyone that has one. Are they worth buying? Or is it just a waste of cash? Share your opinions with me, please.

I got mine in April after buying my S7 Edge. Honestly, I only tried it out that one day for an hour and haven't used it since. If they can ever improve on getting rid of the screen door effect, I will try it again someday.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I got mine in April after buying my S7 Edge. Honestly, I only tried it out that one day for an hour and haven't used it since. If they can ever improve on getting rid of the screen door effect, I will try it again someday.
Can you elaborate on the screen sir effect?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
It looks as if a screen from a window or door has been placed in front of the display and you are looking through it. You have to see it to know what I am talking about.
Yeah I think I get it. Which sucks. I'll have to try and remember to test one out at best buy. Thank you for explaining.

paulmd

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
I've been tinkering with the vRidge app and my GearVR - it allows you to stream full PC VR games such as Elite Dangerous to the headset and is quite impressive!

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
You can use headhphones connected to your phone yes. The only actual plug on the VR headset is a micro usb, which allows charging your phone while in the unit

note7s7edge

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
The New VR DOES work with s7edge. I am using it. Do not go to the cardboard. It's like a ride on the off-road gravels on a tractor trailer compared to a smooth ride in the city GEAR VR provides.
Only the New VR can support Note 7 and future galaxy devices.
There are many free VR videos to watch. Titles like the NOMADs can give you the experience only a VR can give; a sense of immersion, a sense of presence. This experience is highly subjective, but enriching nevertheless.
First time you use it, you will notice how pixelated everything is, you will notice that things are a little blurry and you can't adjust the focus enough to make everything crisp. You might also notice the screen door effect. But you have to realize that VR is just begining and be forgiving to these. Then you can enjoy the unmatched and unprecedented immersion it provides and enjoy and cheris it. The problems I mentioned earlier will start to fade away. Try the Titans of the Space.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21