S7 edge battery drain, please help

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting my S7 edge today and would like to use Samsung pay. You don't have to keep NFC on to use it? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question I'm coming from an iPhone.

Not a dumb question at all, I wasnt sure till I tried it lol. But no you dont need NFC on as Samsung pay uses a magnetic strip inside the phone to activate the card reader at the store.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
danielbroadwell5 -

One more thing, in wifi>advanced: Network notification is off, hotspot 2.0 is off, keep wifi on during sleep is on, auto connect to At&t is on.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And an FYI.. I have been noticing in the Note 7 screenshots that Android System and Android OS has been high on all the screenshots.

My Note 7 hasn't come in yet so I haven't been able to look at that, but that is on my list to talk to Samsung about. I don't know if there is a good reason for that, but my Android Systems and Android OS always ran very low (single digits) unless there was a problem. There are many Note 7 users with theirs a bit up there that are getting good battery life though.

Last edited:

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting my S7 edge today and would like to use Samsung pay. You don't have to keep NFC on to use it? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question I'm coming from an iPhone.

You don't, but it's negligible to leave it on. It uses like 0.5% of your total battery life whilst on/idle. Plus you need it on for any contactless reader, so just keep it on.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Location setting is very important for stand by drain. Make sure to keep things like location history, improve accuracy turned off. That will hurt stand by drain if enabled. You don't need them to use any location based apps. Also don't use smart network switch under WiFi if it's there in setting. Some carrier model has it and some others don't have it.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
683abb1910ae2657c92c4f25bb598c06.jpg

645b9383d8a697af6cc91437bb373e14.jpg

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
danielbroadwell5 -

One more thing, in wifi>advanced: Network notification is off, hotspot 2.0 is off, keep wifi on during sleep is on, auto connect to At&t is on.
I have exactly what u have set. I always turn off the stuff I never use. And what you posted before has all been turned off.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ok first I wouldnt focus on the "android system" taking up 27%.From the look of your results it just means you didnt do a whole lot besides use the phone as a phone so to speak. Your screen on time however is not good at all. Right now I have almost the exact time off the charger as you but I have an hour more screen on time and double your battery (I streamed music for 3 hours so todays battery stats suck).

You say youve wiped the cache partition, did a factory reset etc etc.So that isnt going to help. What I do see though is your cell signal is low. Are you in a strong reception area or is it always below half? Cell reception will absolutely destroy your battery if its nonstop working to keep signal.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
So you know, Im not trying to brag about my battery compared to yours. Just letting you know it is possible to get great life out of this phone, just gotta figure out whats causing yours to go nuts. I turn alot of stuff off because I dont use it so I'll give you an idea of my settings and see how they compare to yours. Remember, I dont use the stuff I turn off so some of these may not suit your needs. These are the settings that should make the most difference.

Display:
I use AMOLED cinema mode for screen mode, auto brightness, timeout after 30 seconds, smart stay off, always on display on only at night normally while on the charger, touch key light 6 seconds, keep screen turned off toggle off, screensaver off.

Advanced Features:
I turned off all the sensor related gestures in the adavnced features tab. pop up view, smart capture, palm to swipe etc etc. I dont like any of them.

Privacy and Safety:
I only use location when I need it but even with it on I still get over 6 1/2 hours screen on time. Report diagnostics off

Google:
Nearby off, search & now > voice> "ok google" detection from the google app and from any screen toggles on. Trusted voice off.

NFC is also off because I use Samsung pay instead of Android pay. Im not sure how much NFC affects the battery.
I don't use the AMOLED Cinema display I use the adaptive display would that make a difference?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I don't use the AMOLED Cinema display I use the adaptive display would that make a difference?

It will make some difference, not sure how much though. Its always changing so in a sense its always working.

Edit: NM I just saw your other screens and your cell reception is full.

I dont know how long youve had the phone but if its me I exchange it if possible and if thats not an option I call Samsung. Youve done literally everything Ive done and your getting half the battery. Im at a loss man.

What brightness does your phone normally run and is your wallpaper bright or dark?

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Ok first I wouldnt focus on the "android system" taking up 27%.From the look of your results it just means you didnt do a whole lot besides use the phone as a phone so to speak. Your screen on time however is not good at all. Right now I have almost the exact time off the charger as you but I have an hour more screen on time and double your battery (I streamed music for 3 hours so todays battery stats suck).

You say youve wiped the cache partition, did a factory reset etc etc.So that isnt going to help. What I do see though is your cell signal is low. Are you in a strong reception area or is it always below half? Cell reception will absolutely destroy your battery if its nonstop working to keep signal.
Ya my signal is usually never good. My home I have 2-3 bars. At work I have 1-2 tops. I work inside a school, in the data room with the servers and network switches. I'm a tech admin. I was only on the phone with Dell for like 20 mins today.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ya my signal is usually never good. My home I have 2-3 bars. At work I have 1-2 tops. I work inside a school, in the data room with the servers and network switches. I'm a tech admin. I was only on the phone with Dell for like 20 mins today.

Id bet money its your cell signal then. Try turning off hd voice and see if that helps as well.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I would honestly love to just get the international verison but I have verizon... my wallpaper is the cool black and blue stock wallpaper it came with.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I would honestly love to just get the international verison but I have verizon... my wallpaper is the cool black and blue stock wallpaper it came with.

On your next day off use the phone similar to how you use the phone at work. Id bet you see a decent increase in battery life. Schools are notorious for draining batteries. I dont know what they do but as soon as I walk into my kids schools my signal dumps.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I think it's just the thick walls. And the roof blocking the signal. Tmrw I'd like to use my watch. And I should have 2-full bars all day tmrw. I'll post another one. I have a buddy who has the s7 edge I'll ask what his screen on time is. He is on verizon as well.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I think it's just the thick walls. And the roof blocking the signal. Tmrw I'd like to use my watch. And I should have 2-full bars all day tmrw. I'll post another one. I have a buddy who has the s7 edge I'll ask what his screen on time is. He is on verizon as well.

Sorry I cant be of more help, its a great phone when its doing what it should. The only other thing I can suggest is if it does better away from work and proves to be a signal issue, grab a small usb power bank and keep it on your keychain or something.

danielbroadwell5

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Sorry I cant be of more help, its a great phone when its doing what it should. The only other thing I can suggest is if it does better away from work and proves to be a signal issue, grab a small usb power bank and keep it on your keychain or something.
No doubt, like I said I've had multiple Samsungs. And used to work for them until I got the admin job at the school. Now is your phone a international model or US model s7 edge?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000