mediaserver issues

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm no stranger to the mediaserver playing up with Samsung phones. Think every one I've had has had the error come up but I've always managed to sort it out.

The edge on the other hand is different. It plays up randomly, even after deleting files, total cache clean and SD card format and data restore. I've not seen it appear on mine without an SD card mounted as I always need to use it. Kinda thinking there's something wrong in Sammy's code as this has been happening to me since the s3.

Anybody else having persistent issues? I can clear mine be an unmount and restart usually, just annoying to have to do every few days

Last edited:

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Just had the error come up again and started running through apps I'd had open recently. Going through one by one then clearing the cache and force closing it and checking custom reference usage on GSAM battery monitor, I found that chrome was the app that, once closed, stopped the battery draining through mediaserver. Now if it crops up again I'll try the same thing and see if it helps again and if possible, I'd like somebody else who's having this drain issue try this out as a potential fix and post their findings.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so my fiance's phone had the drain crop up again and I tried out the above. It worked. Chrome appears to be doing something involving the mediaserver process. After clearing Chrome's cache and force stopping it, then refreshing the reference point on GSAM, the phone goes back to normal use and the mediaserver drain goes away.

I don't know yet if this is a fix or a workaround, I'll be contacting the dev team for them to test.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this issue on my Note 5. I already did a reset.

Today it popped back up. I disconnected from all cloud accounts that have media, deleted all off my phone. Did a cache wipe. I just cleared data on GSam but finally decided to uninstall and install again.

It was doing fine, I even did a few screenshots, it started popping back up.

So I deleted those picture, did a cache wipe and am charging again now. I do use chrome, I haven't done anything with it, but I'll also try that just in case.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Just had this pop up again, see screenshots to show progress after clearing cache and force stopping chrome. Definitely chrome for me, shall try a reinstall and see if it stops totally.

Attachments

• 135839.jpg
    135839.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 53

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well all of the look fine except that one with it really high.

I've even using Chrome and it has been fine.

I took a screenshot and it went up again for me.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
It's strange as it doesn't show up as chrome doing it, but if you force stop it the mediaserver loop stops. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app does nothing, it will eventually get stuck in a loop again.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well I was resetting my Note 5 yesterday, hoping I got rid of it. I'm waiting for my Note 7 and decided to give my 5 to my mom..

After a reset and I was downloading an app, it rebooted by itself and was stuck in the splash screen. It took about 30 mins and me and two Samsung people to finally get it on recovery so I could wipe it again.

I'm now on stock, very basic apps and waiting on a warranty replacement from TMO. I was going to send this one to Samsung, but they have had it 3 times in the last 3 months and it just keeps coming back with more issues.

Media server is hard to get rid of and even most tech support people at Samsung don't know what it is.

One thing you might want to consider.. Have the phone sent to Samsung (or if you are near a walk in center take it) let them remove the OS and then put it back on.

Only Samsung can remove the OS. Generally I haven't even seen a reflash fix this issue. Though you could try a reflash at Best Buy if you wanted. You really might need to have the OS completely removed though, that can fix a lot of things. It is a free service for any Samsung phoney, even those out of warranty.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not new to OS flashing, but thanks for the info. :)

Does seem weird as it appears across multiple Samsung devices. For some reason me and the Mrs have the same issue and force stopping chrome when it crops up is the only temporary fix. Can't be a coincidence.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh it isn't just Samsung devices though. It's been around for so long and I've only seen people with SD cards have it. I've never had it until now and the phone I get it with is oddly, without an SD card.

We used to see it here a lot with Samsung devices, especially when Samsung was having problems with many of the high capacity cards a couple of years ago.

Mrtom5

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I'm seeing the same problem on my stock s7. It's been bugging me for weeks.

Using the developer options I can see media server using a lot of CPU. Even with no browser windows it burns a hole in my pocket. If I kill chrome (using swipe from app list is enough) it behaves.

There's no particular website that triggers the issue but I only have to browse through a couple of sites before it causes problems.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
The chrome team have been shown this thread and are aware of the issue. Hopefully they patch it soon

Currently using the chrome beta app and it's running fine

Dclark1946

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
New member here.
I too am having high battery consumption caused by media server on a Samsung Tab S running Android 5.0. This started in Aug. Based on my research it seems that Chrome is the issue. The problem only shows up after extensive Chrome browsing. I am using the Control Panel app to monitor processor loading and clock speed. When my battery starts going down fast I check Control Panel and the processor shows high loading. I then kill Chrome and the loading goes back to very low idle loading. I have sent feedback to Chrome but so far no new updates. Chrome needs to hear from all having this issue.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
They are aware of the issue and I'm awaiting a fix, a number of users have commented on another thread stating the same issue. For now I'm using chrome beta and it works absolutely fine.

corduroysack

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm no stranger to the mediaserver playing up with Samsung phones. Think every one I've had has had the error come up but I've always managed to sort it out.

The edge on the other hand is different. It plays up randomly, even after deleting files, total cache clean and SD card format and data restore. I've not seen it appear on mine without an SD card mounted as I always need to use it. Kinda thinking there's something wrong in Sammy's code as this has been happening to me since the s3.

Anybody else having persistent issues? I can clear mine be an unmount and restart usually, just annoying to have to do every few days

I've been getting this for quite sometime, ive started using chrome beta or chrome dev but noticed yesterday they were running so slow. at present im sticking to the stock samsung browser till Samsung sort out thde mediaserver/chrome issue

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01