Frustrating to understand contacts

StevieZak

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I've had this phone for almost a good year now and I still haven't taken the time to really clean/fix up my contacts. It seems that the whole process of importing contacts from an iPhone during setup and also having multiple accounts causes a lot of frustration (something to this day I think Android really falls flat on making this an easy process). My problem is I have contacts showing up that I don't want in my phone. I also have contacts that I can't seem to edit information on like duplicate addresses or emails showing up. Here is what I have done so far:

I have gone into Settings, Accounts and unlinked synch contacts from Viber, WhatsApp, Skype, etc. Even though I have done this I still have contacts showing up that say they are linked to said apps. Why?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I've transferred contacts from a non-backed up iPhone and the process was very smooth with SmartSwtich. Personally, on my work iPhone, I sync my contacts with my Google account and those get magically ported to each and every new phone I own, no issues, no duplicates, nada.

As far as 3rd party contact lists, you can hide them from the Contact's app (and yeah, here I agree with you, but it's not Android's fault, it's the apps and the way they implement their address books). You can hide those contact lists (which will be there since you still have the apps installed, they just won't sync with new info) in the Contacts App's settings and you can also select to display only contacts with phone numbers.

StevieZak

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Sorry I don't understand your response or solution.

Why is this not simple as me setting all apps to not synch and only expecting then the basic phone contacts to appear with their information?

Why can't I edit addresses that are showing up twice in a contact (why, I have no clue... considering if I unsynched all other accounts, where are these dupe addresses coming from)?

These are the issues that drive apple users, who left apple, to go back to the iPhone. I have myself, and my spouses phone with the same problem and we have been pulling our hair out for 6+ months now trying to figure out how to fix.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I don't understand your response or solution.

Why is this not simple as me setting all apps to not synch and only expecting then the basic phone contacts to appear with their information?

Why can't I edit addresses that are showing up twice in a contact (why, I have no clue... considering if I unsynched all other accounts, where are these dupe addresses coming from)?

These are the issues that drive apple users, who left apple, to go back to the iPhone. I have myself, and my spouses phone with the same problem and we have been pulling our hair out for 6+ months now trying to figure out how to fix.

They're still there because they have already been synced to the phone. Disabling contact sync will prevent any further contact from being added in regards to an app, however, it will not automatically remove them. That will have to be done manually. I learned this the hard way when somehow my Skype contacts synced to my phone.

StevieZak

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
They're still there because they have already been synced to the phone. Disabling contact sync will prevent any further contact from being added in regards to an app, however, it will not automatically remove them. That will have to be done manually. I learned this the hard way when somehow my Skype contacts synced to my phone.

Ok so basically I am screwed and would need to go in and manually edit all the contacts you are saying.

How does this though fix the duplicate addresses showing up in a contact. For example, as far as I can tell I have a user (or multiple) with 2 addresses and I have unlinked all accounts except the Phone and Cloud. When I go look at the Cloud account, there is no address. When I look at the Phone there are 2 addresses. I can never edit 1 of them in edit mode.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok so basically I am screwed and would need to go in and manually edit all the contacts you are saying.

How does this though fix the duplicate addresses showing up in a contact. For example, as far as I can tell I have a user (or multiple) with 2 addresses and I have unlinked all accounts except the Phone and Cloud. When I go look at the Cloud account, there is no address. When I look at the Phone there are 2 addresses. I can never edit 1 of them in edit mode.
It would depend on from where the contact address came from. For example, a Facebook contact that synced is uneditable. A contact which synced from an account where YOU cannot edit data on the web page is uneditable as well on the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae