So I'm coming from a Note 7 and am considering the S7 edge ... Anything I should know?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Note 7 was my first Samsung phone; was actually a pleasant surprise considering I'd heard so many negatives about TouchWiz. Had to return it due to the whole battery debacle.

I do like the flatter screen on the Note, and I also like GraceUX ... I know these are things I won't be getting on the s7 edge (maybe GraceUX will come eventually). However, I also like the appeal of owning an unlocked phone (which would be the edge).

Besides the things I've pointed out above, is there anything I will be missing by opting for the edge (don't care about the s-pen).

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Note 7 was my first Samsung phone; was actually a pleasant surprise considering I'd heard so many negatives about TouchWiz. Had to return it due to the whole battery debacle.

I do like the flatter screen on the Note, and I also like GraceUX ... I know these are things I won't be getting on the s7 edge (maybe GraceUX will come eventually). However, I also like the appeal of owning an unlocked phone (which would be the edge).

Besides the things I've pointed out above, is there anything I will be missing by opting for the edge (don't care about the s-pen).

Not too much besides the S-Pen. A couple things like the Iris scanner and more internal storage but not really much in terms of functionality. Sounds like you really haven't had a chance to use S-Pen anyway so you probably won't miss it. I originally got the edge back on release day. Then I picked up the note. Went back to the edge after the recall stuff and have no desire to get the note back. After having both I realized it's not a real big upgrade over the edge. I'm just looking forward to the pixel devices and the S8s now

Karen Hildebrand

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
My first note was the 7 and I loved it...fast forward...and I'm now on the s7e and I also am not going back..I had an s6e and thought I NEEDED a note..now I realize it was more phone than I really needed. I'm happy.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Swapping out my Note 7 for the S7E was a no braniner for me. Phone was $159. Even with the Note 7 being replaced the resale value will take a hit. I go through phones every 6-8 months or so.

I'm extremely impressed with the S7E. This thing is fast. No hiccups, not an ounce of lag here with the 8890 CPU. Battery life has been great. Hitting 6-7 hrs SOT when I would struggle to get 4.5 on my Note 7.

I didnt use the Spen much and didn't use the Iris scanner either. Trade off for me is getting the 32GB which isn't a big deal. My phone is all setup and still have 20GB left. All photos/videos go to the microsd and Google Photos. I do miss the Grace UX from the Note 7 but Android N will be here in a few months anyways.

note7s7edge

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Things I found so far in S7edge compared to N7:
Superior Battery life. 1.5 hrs of extra screen time.
Inferior palm rejection on the edges. To the point of annoying sometimes.
Poor performance with the new Gear VR. Heats up badly.
Also I got 32 GB s7edge compared to Note 7, and thats bad. At first I thought who needs 64 GB? But surprisingly in 3 weeks I got storage almost full alert on my Note 7! Turns out, the VR videos and apps I have been downloading were not in the range of 200-400MB but in the range of 2-4 GBs. Bottom line: If you indend to enjoy VR (which to me is an enough single factor to warrant galaxy devices over any other, and Note 7 out of those especially ), get Note 7. If you haven't experienced VR , I encourage you. Its an entirely different experience from anything you have ever seen.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Things I found so far in S7edge compared to N7:
Superior Battery life. 1.5 hrs of extra screen time.
Inferior palm rejection on the edges. To the point of annoying sometimes.
Poor performance with the new Gear VR. Heats up badly.
Also I got 32 GB s7edge compared to Note 7, and thats bad. At first I thought who needs 64 GB? But surprisingly in 3 weeks I got storage almost full alert on my Note 7! Turns out, the VR videos and apps I have been downloading were not in the range of 200-400MB but in the range of 2-4 GBs. Bottom line: If you indend to enjoy VR (which to me is an enough single factor to warrant galaxy devices over any other, and Note 7 out of those especially ), get Note 7. If you haven't experienced VR , I encourage you. Its an entirely different experience from anything you have ever seen.

I freaking love my VR headset.

note7s7edge

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I freaking love my VR headset.
Yep, me too. Samsung should be highlighting this. Experience the Virtual Reality. Only on Samsung galaxy devices. But to be on the topic, Note 7 feels like designed for VR. I have used it for over an hour continiously and it only was a little warm. S7edge, burning hot in 30 min.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep, me too. Samsung should be highlighting this. Experience the Virtual Reality. Only on Samsung galaxy devices. But to be on the topic, Note 7 feels like designed for VR. I have used it for over an hour continuously and it only was a little warm. S7edge, burning hot in 30 min.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with this. Although it definitely works a lot better on the S7E than it did on regular S7.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I, too, am considering giving up on my Note 7 and going with an S7 Edge - specifically this one (G930FD Asian Version). This one is sold by and ships from Amazon so I'm confident it will be a genuine Samsung phone and not a knock-off.

I'm in the US on AT&T - Amazon says this phone is fully compatible, but I'm wondering if there is any downside to this version of the phone vs. the one I could buy from the AT&T store.

Any advice for a Note 7 refugee? :)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I, too, am considering giving up on my Note 7 and going with an S7 Edge - specifically this one (G930FD Asian Version). This one is sold by and ships from Amazon so I'm confident it will be a genuine Samsung phone and not a knock-off.

I'm in the US on AT&T - Amazon says this phone is fully compatible, but I'm wondering if there is any downside to this version of the phone vs. the one I could buy from the AT&T store.

Any advice for a Note 7 refugee? :)

Purchase from carrier. Don't buy from retailer. This is your best bet especially if you have problems along the way.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
At first I thought that maybe I was imagining things, but the battery life on the S7 Edge is awesome!
Definitely. I get about 7 SOT with the Edge. I would struggle to get 4.5 even with the Note 7. I've been very pleased with the S7E.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21