New S7 Owner -- Initial Questions

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently got the s7 edge (UK unlocked version) after a horrible time with the BlackBerry PRIV overheating and draining. That's more of a ****ty snapdragon issue but I digress. So I avoided another snapdragon at all costs and imported the UK version.

I've used BlackBerry all my life and decided to jump ship as soon as their software suite was available to other android and the fact that they didn't have any flagship spec devices.

The phone has been really great and more than bearable given the BlackBerry suite of apps and especially the keyboard. The last time I used a galaxy was on the s2 which I returned after a week for a blackberry 9810.

I've a few questions hoping folks can help me out:

1. The whole screen turns on for sms and snapchat. I've everything set so that only indicator light comes on but these 2 apps seem to force the whole screen on. Any ideas??

2. The contact app is pulling address book out of my Hotmail account in the outlook app. Is there a way to stop this link?

3. This one is really important. Is thete a better non assine do not disturb mode. I'm not looking for complex bedside mode that was in blackberry since the 2000s but just common sense features such as the phone not coming out of do not disturb more until it's after a certain time AND removed from the charger.

I wake up late on the weekends tha. During the week so the phone has been waking me up because it automatically turn off don't do disturb at the scheduled time.

4. The always on screen is not always on. It seems that when dark or in my pocket the entire screen turns off. I know there is a setting that specifically sets this but I have it disabled. For some reason it still turns off in my pocket.

5. Is there a better way to move the cursor in text? Is there a magnify or track pad like helper? The little teal dot is near damn impossible to use.

6. How come some apps do not have the notification badge (circle with number of unread on the app icon) and some do?

Also a lot of times the badge wont clear even after opening the app and going to the notification item.

7. I just started to experience this one after about a month. I've my phone lock set to 5 seconds after screen goes off. Now all of a sudden it would not lock at all after 5 seconds. It just wouldn't lock automatically period! This is a pretty serious security flaw. I have to set it to lock immediate once screen turns off. Anyone else see this?

8. Finally the battery life. Some days after 12 hours I still have 40 percent. On some other days under same circumstance of use and location etc. It seems android services is spinning the hell out of the phone and my battery only last 10 hours. Anyone know what's going on there? The phones gets very warm. On a normal day the screen uses more battery than android services which I expect. On a bad day the graph is a cliff and Android services uses more battery than any other device. Attached is graph of normal day.

Thanks for the help and advice!
94f2b57f4b2f2e587d4032da6d80e80e.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. Not that I know of without downloading another app. Personally I use Lightflow to micromanage my notifications and it includes settings for this. In Android app will behave differently according to how it was coded, and it would seem developers decided not to give you the option to control this aspect of their app notification.

2. Settings>Accounts>Outlook account>your email>there should be toggles there for contact sync. You can turn it off. However you will need to delete the contacts already downloaded.

3. Do not disturb mode handles time, but not the charger part. You may use a macro app like Tasker or Macrodroid to auto trigger and disable DND on your terms though.

4. There is no setting that specifically disables this. The do not light up in pockets setting refers only notifications, not AOD. The setting for AOD turning off is controlled by the proximity sensor detecting its in a pocket. There's no use for the AOD if it's in a pocket.

5. None that I know of. Although some keyboard apps do have options for arrow keys, such as Swiftkey and Swype. There is also a magnify option in Accesibility settings but never tried using it.

6. This is Launcher dependent. Launcher is the app used to generate your desktop and app drawer. Some launchers only offer partial support to the notification badges partly because of how it's coded. There are downloadable launchers with varying features and levels of customization that can put badges on all apps.

8. Do you have Smart Lock active?

9. It could be due to Google backing up on regular intervals. Personally I turn that off.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
#4, there is, I believe, a proximity sensor in the phone that turns of the display when in pockets or holsters, etc. As a previous poster said, no need for AOD in those situations, so save the battery.

vgs21

May 14, 2012
Visit site
7) in settings-> lock screen and security-> secure lock settings and there check "LOCK INSTANTLY WITH PER KEY". I hope that works.Screenshot_20160916-230559.jpg
4) Always on display only works when phone is out of the pocket. It's coded that way. When in pocket, the sensor is covered so to save battery. Samsung has designed it that way. The moment you pull your phone out of your pocket, display will appear.

vgs21

May 14, 2012
Visit site
2) In contacts click in"more" click on " contacts to display" and there select the desired source from where you want your contacts to appear. You can also create your custom list.Screenshot_20160916-231341.jpg
Screenshot_20160916-231332.jpg

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks a bunch guys.

Chan Chan does Google backup even back up the entire device contents like apps and app settings?

Seems like most of these can be solved with above mentioned apps. I'll give the lightflow and macrodroid a try.

But bummer there is no alternative for the bad cursor.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Cloud does. Which is why i choose that. Google only backs up some app data, but only if the developer coded his app for Google Cloud backup. Apparently Samsung Cloud doesn't care and just backs up everything so that's nicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech