September Security Patch and Battery Life

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Is there any word on a the September Security Patch and if it'll fix the Android System usage bug? The Android System is using a ton of my battery in the August patch and before that I was ending the day off with about 30-50% battery now I'm ending it off with 10-30% which is significantly worse. The last few patches have been bad for battery life for me. Anyone else getting bad battery life?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, how long is your battery lasting? It's not necessarily bad. If nothing else is using the battery, then it will rise up. In my case for example, I'm a heavy user. My phone only lasts for 13hrs when I game. But Android system only eats 15% because screen eats about 40%. Remember that the battery usage readings should be taken in full context of your usage.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, how long is your battery lasting? It's not necessarily bad. If nothing else is using the battery, then it will rise up. In my case for example, I'm a heavy user. My phone only lasts for 13hrs when I game. But Android system only eats 15% because screen eats about 40%. Remember that the battery usage readings should be taken in full context of your usage.

My battery lasts the entire day for the most part. From 8AM to around 12AM. Though about a week ago I had to charge it around 9PM because I was in the single digits. Around the time I usually leave for class before the last few patches I would be around 95% but after the patches I'm at 88% when I leave. And that's with being connected to wifi SOT around 25-40 min. That's significantly worse. Android System never ate up this much battery. August Security Patch made the battery even worse than what I was getting on July's Security Patch which was worse than what I was getting a few patches earlier. I'd say probably June's Security Patch.

Last edited:

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Pretty much I'm getting 3 1/2 SOT at 30% instead of having 4 1/2 SOT at 30-40% that I used to have. And I doubt it's all because of the battery degrading because it wouldn't be so drastic in the span of months.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
8am to 12am (as in midnight) you mean? 12pm is 12noon. That's about 16hrs with 3hrs SOT. That's not so bad. I'd also assume that you didn't disable Google backup, which would show under Android OS when it eats battery. It's enabled now automatically after one of the last OS updates. Also, have you cleared the system cache?

Also note that even if the September update fixes any bugs, if you're on a carrier version you might not get any fixes immediately. An example is Samsung fixing the Just Once and set as default button fiasco. Most of the world got the fix with the June update. Sprint just got it last week.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
8am to 12am (as in midnight) you mean? 12pm is 12noon. That's about 16hrs with 3hrs SOT. That's not so bad. I'd also assume that you didn't disable Google backup, which would show under Android OS when it eats battery. It's enabled now automatically after one of the last OS updates. Also, have you cleared the system cache?

Also note that even if the September update fixes any bugs, if you're on a carrier version you might not get any fixes immediately. An example is Samsung fixing the Just Once and set as default button fiasco. Most of the world got the fix with the June update. Sprint just got it last week.

Yeah that's what I meant. It may not seem bad but considering what I was getting its a definite downgrade. And no I don't think I disabled that. Yes I cleared the cache. And I'm on Sprint.

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Just to let everyone know this morning I made sure Google Location history is off and location is only done by GPS. Already seen much improved battery life and my old GSAM stats with the huge percentage of phone radio/wifi using the battery already looking much better. Try it out and you might see an improvement.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Just to let everyone know this morning I made sure Google Location history is off and location is only done by GPS. Already seen much improved battery life and my old GSAM stats with the huge percentage of phone radio/wifi using the battery already looking much better. Try it out and you might see an improvement.

But does it really matter if GPS is never on? Last time it said it was checked was August 15th for me.

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
But does it really matter if GPS is never on? Last time it said it was checked was August 15th for me.

Well I normally have location settings on all the time, and that would be with GPS, WIFI (although I have scanning off) and it using the network. My standby times went back to what they were when brand new which was about 1.5% drain an hour when I went to GPS only. Only problem is google maps barely works now so I'm trying having location settings turned off, and only turning on when I need it but with full power on that.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what I have now. I left my phone on overnight and I woke up it was at 96% from 100%. That's not really bad but I've only put in 2hrs of SOT with leaving my phone idle for most of the day but I'm still at 33%. The August patch is poor.

Attachments

• 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 38