I have a third party email account hosted by BT business and accessed through Office 365 on the web. I have this account configured on my desktop PC's (yes, some folk still use them!) full version of Outlook and have no problems setting this up to deliver emails to my desktop. On the Edge S7 I can use a web-browser and access the third party email account with its usual email address and password settings without any problems (I can also do this on my desktop).

I have an old Hotmail.com email account - it configured on the Outlook.com app on the Samsung Edge S7 running android 6.0.1 without any hiccups and it works fine.

However, no matter how many times I try to add the third party email account onto the Outlook app on the Samsung Edge S7 it will not accept the same user name and password as I use to get into the account through the web-browser on the phone and desktop. It goes away and five minutes of spinning disk later it comes back and asks me for server and domain settings/password again. For what its worth in desperation I downloaded a third party email app. to the phone and within moments had this set up and delivering the 3rd party mail account.

As you can imagine I am perplexed as to why I can't set the account up using the proper Outlook app. has anyone got any pointers please.

NB. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it didn't see fit anywhere else.
    09-20-2016 04:55 AM
    Try going online (live.com) and under the account settings/security, set up a one-time password and use this for Outlook. I know I needed to use this for the Edge, I'm just not sure for mail or contacts.

Write back after you've tried this
    09-20-2016 06:55 AM
    Hi Allen Brandt, that sounds plausible, but I can't find where to set a OTO password. Interestingly Live.com won't take the details either, I actually have to go in via https://login.microsoftonline.com/login etc. at that location it accepts the email with the password without issues. The only thing is that I can't see anywhere there to get a OTO password generated. I hope that makes sense.
    09-20-2016 09:40 AM
    from live.com:
    click on your name/account settings/security & Privacy (across the top)/more security settings (you will then be asked to sign in again)/create new app password (you may have to scroll down to see this one)

You will then have a one time password on the screen
    09-20-2016 08:28 PM
    I'm no expert on this but my employer uses Office 365 and when I added my Exchange email to my Outlook for Android app, it required an important step; a few hours after the install you will get an email stating that you need to install the Intune Portal (by following the link they provide). Once I completed this step, everything worked great.
    I don't know if your email is controlled by an IT dept, like mine, but that's my experience. I hope it helps.
    09-21-2016 05:49 AM
    As noted above I cannot use my logon details to get into live.com - I have to use office365/outlook365 - then it all works. The history is that I had a 3rd party domain and email, but when I changed to btconnect.com as my broadband business internet provider their systems wouldn't route my 3rd party email account. Long story short they ended up hosting my email account - I wasn't happy, but it all started to work if I then logged in with my BTconnect password and office365 and could access webmail through a web browser. The trouble is the outlook app won't take the same details and I've tried every combination I can think out in terms of server details. If I try to change the password in office365 it wants to change the whole thing not just a OTO password and this is the last thing I want to do if I can avoid it as I had such a hard time getting it all to work in the first place
    09-21-2016 05:59 AM
    dm3ready, thanks for that. I wouldn't put it past some wrinkle like that being needed. However, my issue is that I AM the IT dept. I am a one person consultancy. Mind you though I shouldn't say I am a fair whizz at this sort of IT setting and rarely have issues - I can normally work out the right combinations or passwords and server detail. Though all it is asking for, if I view advanced settings, is a single set of server details, domain and user ID - rather than the different incoming and outgoing settings you usually see.
    09-21-2016 06:44 AM
    I thought I might have solved it - I opened Word - Microsoft's 'Grandfather' application. I added my office 365 details with no problems and it logged on fine to the online link. I thought it might have solved the Outlook app issue in the process - no such luck! :-(
    09-21-2016 07:48 AM
    Get AquaMail Pro app. Flawless.................
    09-21-2016 01:44 PM
    Install the Arrow Launcher by Microsoft. It fixed this problem for myself.
    09-21-2016 06:46 PM
    Just an update in case it helps anyone else. Following a somewhat scary factory reset (see my other thread 'calendar storage has stopped on mine too') I re-installed all the apps etc straight from the Play Store again. Would you believe the Outlook app. has just taken every single email address I've lobbed at it without a second thought!! IT equip. eh? Who'd have it? Anyhow, vastly relieved here to have software now doing what it was designed to do!!
    09-27-2016 09:57 AM