Leaving S7 Edge on Fast Charger over night

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You can, but why would you? If you have all night? If your phone isn't getting excessively hot (you can't touch it) then it's working fine and regulating itself normally during fast (or slow) charging. Kinder to your battery to just trickle it in gently on the long term.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine on a fast wireless charger every night... Once it's fly charged, it throttles back to trickle...

There isn't a problem leaving it on s charger all night... Damned if I'm gonna wake up just to remove it 😂

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to charge your phone overnight, I would recommend turning fast charge off, since the extra heat of the faster charge will degrade the battery over time. Once it's charged, though, it just keeps the battery topped up and will not harm the battery.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to charge your phone overnight, I would recommend turning fast charge off, since the extra heat of the faster charge will degrade the battery over time. Once it's charged, though, it just keeps the battery topped up and will not harm the battery.
Fast charge is immaterial to a question of leaving the phone plugged in over night. Nearly all of the "fastness" of fast charge happens in the first 60% of the charge cycle. Once you get above around 60% battery charge, it's basically a conventional charge profile.

Therefore, you can debate leaving it plugged in or not plugged in overnight, but fast charging has nothing to do with it.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Fast charge is immaterial to a question of leaving the phone plugged in over night. Nearly all of the "fastness" of fast charge happens in the first 60% of the charge cycle. Once you get above around 60% battery charge, it's basically a conventional charge profile.

Therefore, you can debate leaving it plugged in or not plugged in overnight, but fast charging has nothing to do with it.

And there's a lot of heat buildup during that time. I've measured the heat generated by fast charging versus normal charging and my edge goes over 100f quickly on fast charge. If the phone's going to be charged over 7-8 hours anyway, there's absolutely no point in fast charging. It'll be 100% by morning either way, so it makes sense to lessen the heat buildup by using normal charging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome