I have read in various articles that for the overall good of the phone's battery it is better to not use the fast charge (wired) feature all the time and instead turn it off and charge (wired) at the regular rate. But what about the long term effect on the battery if you use the wireless fast charger? I know the wireless fast charge is done at a slower rate than the wired fast charge, but does it have any long term detrimental effects on the battery?
    09-24-2016 08:35 AM
    The detrimental effect of fast charging is based on the increased heat. If your phone isn't heating up too much (like you're in a cold room), it should be ok.
    09-24-2016 09:41 AM
    The detrimental effect of fast charging is based on the increased heat. If your phone isn't heating up too much (like you're in a cold room), it should be ok.
    Where do you get this information? I have normal Wireless Qi Chargers and Samsung Wireless Fast Chargers and have never had ANY indication that using the fast wireless charger heats up my phone at all. Every time I have ever picked up my phone from any wireless charging station (and I have had Wireless Charging since the Nokia Lumia 920) and never had any of my phones be any warmer than normal.

Of course, we talk about my Gear S3, that is another story, but that is device specific and well documented.

As for detrimental effects, I have yet to run into one in all these years.
    09-24-2016 12:19 PM
    Where do you get this information? I have normal Wireless Qi Chargers and Samsung Wireless Fast Chargers and have never had ANY indication that using the fast wireless charger heats up my phone at all. Every time I have ever picked up my phone from any wireless charging station (and I have had Wireless Charging since the Nokia Lumia 920) and never had any of my phones be any warmer than normal.

Of course, we talk about my Gear S3, that is another story, but that is device specific and well documented.

As for detrimental effects, I have yet to run into one in all these years.
    We all know that heat is bad for the battery. If you go to settings>battery>fast charging, there is a warning there that fast charging MAY heat up the battery more. So the claims of fast charging being supposedly detrimental is based on the fact that it MAY heat up the battery, and this is very dependent on situation and phone setup. If your phone does heat up quite a bit regularly, over time you will see your battery deteriorate as you would expect one which is constantly being heated up excessively. If it doesn't, good for you.
    09-24-2016 04:50 PM