S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam stats? MetroPCS/Tmobile varient

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Basically like in the title..

I have the s7 edge tmobile version (32GB).. running nova and i do have quite a few things installed.

I typically use Gsam to monitor drain.. i'm seeing anywhere from 15-25% drain with just the screen on (and/or browsing facebook, the web, emails), which seems ridiculous to me.

I've tried disabling things in package disabler to no avail.

Its hard to pinpoint a culprit using gsam.. i also try using the wakelock detector app but i'm not rooted so its not much use. (not wanting to root, because i hear you have to jump through hoops to make certain things work and also may have more battery drain).

Anyone else having these issues and if so how did you determine what was causing it?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE:

the best phone off rates i can get occur overnight/home.. around 0.8 to 1.5% drop per hour averages.. maybe 15 mnutes of deep doze rate over 3 hours as well. (latest was 1.5 per hour over 2hr 50 min and wifi calling off)

daytime/work/poor metropcs signal:
average is more like 4.4 / hour unless airplane mode + wifi..

Example: 41minutes 4.4 / hour, radio 41 minutes, wifi 0 minutes, held awake 8 minutes.. (wifi calling off)

30 min 2.1%/hour, wifi calling on

Work with airplane + wifi: over 33min: 1.8%/hour, wifi 16 minutes, held awake 7min (0 deep doze)(wifi calling off)
Work with airplane + wifi: over 30min: 1.5%/hour wifi 16 minutes, held awake 3min (0 deep doze) + automatIT turned off in services (not much of a change) (wifi calling off)
Work with airplane + wifi (and wifi calling ON) over 38 mins: 1.6/hour wifi active 27 seconds, phone radio ZERO seconds?, held 4min

In summary:
Typical work with everything on: 3%/hr loss off
Typical work with wifi + airplane: 1.5-1.8%/hr loss off
Typical work total day usage: (mixture of airplane mode testing): 5.7%/hr over 7hr41 min held 2hr 30 min, ST 1hr 4min, battery left end of day around 55-57%, started at 100%
**no deep doze above

Home nighttime off mode: 0.8 to 1.5%/hr loss if off
Deep doze on 3 hours = 16 mins

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam reporting 15-25 percent per hour minimal use while on?

Has this been happening recently? If so, it seems to be a (very) bad update of the Oculus app. Uninstall the update and you should be back to normal.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam reporting 15-25 percent per hour minimal use while on?

Has this been happening recently? If so, it seems to be a (very) bad update of the Oculus app. Uninstall the update and you should be back to normal.

Ah yes, oculus, i do have that installed.. ill try that .. thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Hopefully Samsung/Oculus resolve the issue soon and update the app with a non-draining version.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Couple of things... first... 3% to 5% idle drain is extremely high. That means that without ever touching the thing, you're looking at 24 hours on a full charge... that's pretty poor. If you don't have a really poor radio signal (which is a HUGE battery vampire) then you really shouldn't see idle drains over 3%/h. In fact, if its sitting there on a table, that should be under 1% (sometimes WAY under too)... I only see my 6P in the 2-3% range when I am out and about and all those location aware services are checking in all the time. If its sitting on my desk... 0.5%/h and that number drops the longer it sits.

So, if you have a poor radio signal most of the time, you're hurting because that's the absolute hardest thing to fix. But if not...

Do you have the extended GSAM stats enabled? If you don't, turn them on. You'll need to have ADB (Android Debug Bridge) loaded on a computer and run a simple command after connecting your phone to it... it doesn't require root.... that opens up more detailed stats. (I can show you if needed).

But the big questions are: What percentage of the time when your phone is off is it in deep sleep? Anything less than 75% or so could point to something generating way too many wakelocks and keeping your phone awake. If you are in the 75%+ range AND you have a high idle load, then whatever IS waking your phone is basically running your phone at full throttle when it's doing it.... that should show up pretty clearly in the GSAM stats.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Couple of things... first... 3% to 5% idle drain is extremely high. That means that without ever touching the thing, you're looking at 24 hours on a full charge... that's pretty poor. If you don't have a really poor radio signal (which is a HUGE battery vampire) then you really shouldn't see idle drains over 3%/h. In fact, if its sitting there on a table, that should be under 1% (sometimes WAY under too)... I only see my 6P in the 2-3% range when I am out and about and all those location aware services are checking in all the time. If its sitting on my desk... 0.5%/h and that number drops the longer it sits.

So, if you have a poor radio signal most of the time, you're hurting because that's the absolute hardest thing to fix. But if not...

Do you have the extended GSAM stats enabled? If you don't, turn them on. You'll need to have ADB (Android Debug Bridge) loaded on a computer and run a simple command after connecting your phone to it... it doesn't require root.... that opens up more detailed stats. (I can show you if needed).

But the big questions are: What percentage of the time when your phone is off is it in deep sleep? Anything less than 75% or so could point to something generating way too many wakelocks and keeping your phone awake. If you are in the 75%+ range AND you have a high idle load, then whatever IS waking your phone is basically running your phone at full throttle when it's doing it.... that should show up pretty clearly in the GSAM stats.

I just enabled the extended stats so ill take a look.
Edit: do i need to install the root companion (even though not rooted) i assume first before running that command.. ran the command and didnt see anything different.

When i'm at work i have 1 bar or less during the day.. at home at times i've seen 1% per hour in deep sleep if i unplug overnight. But in daytime use its always 3-5 or more per hour in daytime sleep which yes is awful..

Maybe the stats will clear this up

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I just enabled the extended stats so ill take a look.
Edit: do i need to install the root companion (even though not rooted) i assume first before running that command.. ran the command and didnt see anything different.

When i'm at work i have 1 bar or less during the day.. at home at times i've seen 1% per hour in deep sleep if i unplug overnight. But in daytime use its always 3-5 or more per hour in daytime sleep which yes is awful..

Maybe the stats will clear this up

After installing the root companion i am seeing more details i think.

For instance.. over 6 hr 19 min android system used 1hr 26 minutes.. keep awake 8m 22sec.... Kernel kept it awake for 30minutes time total.. showing overall only 6.9/hour screen time 50 min, held awake 1hr 56 minutes.. unless this needs reset now to start tracking better.

is there an easy way to uninstall the oculus update without uninstalling the whole software.. im not seeing the revert back option when i view its info

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

After installing the root companion i am seeing more details i think.

For instance.. over 6 hr 19 min android system used 1hr 26 minutes.. keep awake 8m 22sec.... Kernel kept it awake for 30minutes time total.. showing overall only 6.9/hour screen time 50 min, held awake 1hr 56 minutes.. unless this needs reset now to start tracking better.

is there an easy way to uninstall the oculus update without uninstalling the whole software.. im not seeing the revert back option when i view its info
Check if there is an update. They supposedly released the update yesterday. It updates itself I think once attached to the VR.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Check if there is an update. They supposedly released the update yesterday. It updates itself I think once attached to the VR.

Perhaps i wasnt supposed to install the root companion? At first gsam appeared to be showing more info.. now everything in the app is mangled..

the main area of information has dollar signs and other symbols ($ etc), nothing is working in the app, shows 0% / hr etc..
Unsure what is going on, i guess ill have to uninstall re-install and redo the adb command + companion?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If you run the adb command, there is no need to install the companion. And I think the companion is still having issues on 6.0+

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

If you run the adb command, there is no need to install the companion. And I think the companion is still having issues on 6.0+

What should I be seeing as extra stats once done correctly? I tried clicking enable more stats (after running the adb command).. it prompts for root companion each time and never seems to get "enabled" by me just saying "no thanks" when it pops up..

I thought i saw differences before when i had the root companion installed, now i'm not sure what changes it should have made just by running the command line alone?

edit, i do see options in the upper pull down of showing wakelocks basically.. however.. i just installed pro..

i ran the command... adb -d shell pm grant com.gsamlabs.bbm.pro android.permission.BATTERY_STATS

I pressed more stats.. closed/reopened pro.. not seeing those additional views with pro..

EDIT: i had to do a force stop on the app to then make it show on reopening.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

What should I be seeing as extra stats once done correctly? I tried clicking enable more stats (after running the adb command).. it prompts for root companion each time and never seems to get "enabled" by me just saying "no thanks" when it pops up..

If you ran the command, and it completed successfully, you shouldn't ever see "Enable More Stats" in the options... With this permissions grant, the root companion installation is no longer needed and that option is removed. So if you see that 'Enable..." option, the ADB command failed.

DanJJ

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Received an email that there is an update to the Oculus software to fix this. According to the email, if you open the Oculus software it will prompt to update it. The update will fix the issue caused by the previous update.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Now that i'm tracking this better.. i'm curious what everyones held awake times are, on average.. over say 1 hour or other relative periods of time.. and discharge rates?

I'm still only able to muster about 2.8% per hour in stand by..

Last example:
1hr 25min, held awake 22minutes ..

App use android system 32.2%, kernel 21.1%, google services 7.6%, phone 6.9%, chomp sms 4.6, google app 3.7%, mysms 2.5%, aquamail 2.4%

held times:
kernel 8m55sec:

google services 4m32

phone 2m 32

android system 2m 26

aqual mail 46sec

mysms 40second

viewing kernel wakelocks..

WLan_Rx_wake took 3minutes of wake time
mmc0_detect about 2minutes 1 sec
various other timers, like timerfd, alarmtimer, wlan_wake, wlan_ctrl_wake, radio-interface, ipa_ws etc mostly at 40 sec or less, each

wakelock detector light with the hack to enable things isnt much use either.. individual items in there seem to only show wakelocks from 7 hours ago (last unplugged i guess), rather than last screen off.

Willing to bet if i use package disabler and disable google services and google app, this would help drop the discharge rate, but half the point is using those services.. i use for Nest and other notifications.

the wlan wake may be related to router settings both at my work and at home, but unsure.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

What's your network signal?

Nothing stands out as I'm looking at it.... but a really bad radio signal will slaughter your idle rate.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

What's your network signal?

Nothing stands out as I'm looking at it.... but a really bad radio signal will slaughter your idle rate.

During a work day, 1 bar at best, i know thats not helping.. would i maybe somehow turn off just the phone portion and test it for an hour two to see if it helps.

What is a typical wake time over an hour normally for most?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

What is a typical wake time over an hour normally for most?

It's conditional... If the phone is sitting on a table doing nothing, under 10%. If you are out and about, and Google is Goolging away, it'll be higher.

It's not so much the wake time, it's if the wake time is useful. GSAM is great for big picture, but I use 3C to help with the fine details

3C has a cool chart... Granular stats

a9cb2bb6b852f7d18e003af04e4bbff2.jpg

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

It's conditional... If the phone is sitting on a table doing nothing, under 10%. If you are out and about, and Google is Goolging away, it'll be higher.

It's not so much the wake time, it's if the wake time is useful. GSAM is great for big picture, but I use 3C to help with the fine details

3C has a cool chart... Granular stats
Thanks ill give this a shot as well.. i had been looking for something that showed the hour by hour granularity like an app i had on iphone before.. that should fit the bill.

How about burn rate per hour.. discharge.. while in use..

Just facebook, web, aquamail email browsing, i can burn 15-19% per hour according to gsam and that just seems insane.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

My latests tests, after a recent firmware upgrade from Tmobile.. still show some issues...

Standby time/deep sleep is better.. maybe 1.2% per hour.. however actual % per hour is woeful (i think?)

in 11 minutes, just browsing the cnn app (no videos) for 9 minutes and the imdb app for maybe 1-2 plus a quick text..
17.5% per hour was the rate Gsam showed.

However.. another test of just using pandora for 20 minutes was averaging...
11.0 % per hour via Gsam..

I'm thinking the pandora burn rate is right, but the other general browsing one seems really high, or is this more typcal and just how it is (i would expect maybe 6% per hour not 17-19% for general generic usage like that).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm thinking the pandora burn rate is right, but the other general browsing one seems really high, or is this more typcal and just how it is (i would expect maybe 6% per hour not 17-19% for general generic usage like that).

Browsers tend to be power hogs.... the pages they render often throw a bunch of junk in the page and just eat CPU cycles. Usage rates in the high teens per hour, I can easily see that happening when browsing, even higher.

As for general usage, on an S7 Edge... I'm guessing 10% to 15% per hour of screen time would be the target, closer to the later. 6? That would mean that if you just used it straight on after charging, you could get some 15 hours of screen time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12