S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam stats? MetroPCS/Tmobile varient

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam reporting 15-25 percent per hour minimal use while on?

I'm looking at a possible 14% per hour usage during actual use as correct. If you review the battery tests on release, movie playback time tests show about 7-8hrs continuous video playback. That's approx 14% per hour.

Linani

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: S7 edge battery issues, drain, gsam reporting 15-25 percent per hour minimal use while on?

My cell eating a lot of battery. A friend recommend me use EZ Package Disabler (Samsung) to save battery. But I have to donate to use. I don't know whether it is good or not. Anyone here can giv me feedback? :(

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I'm looking at a possible 14% per hour usage during actual use as correct. If you review the battery tests on release, movie playback time tests show about 7-8hrs continuous video playback. That's approx 14% per hour.

And its also highly dependant on what you are doing. Streaming video is actually one of the more efficient activities when it comes to power usage. The CPU isn't all that busy, it doesn't have to deal with touch inputs, etc... whereas something like video chatting, gaming, turn by turn navigation with the screen on, etc... those can be substantially higher. The phone is designed to only use as much power as needed for the task at hand.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

And its also highly dependant on what you are doing. Streaming video is actually one of the more efficient activities when it comes to power usage. The CPU isn't all that busy, it doesn't have to deal with touch inputs, etc... whereas something like video chatting, gaming, turn by turn navigation with the screen on, etc... those can be substantially higher. The phone is designed to only use as much power as needed for the task at hand.
Unless you're pushing it at really high resolution with a movie with a lot of fast moving scenes. The CPU/GPU would be refreshing the skin at a high rate.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

Unless you're pushing it at really high resolution with a movie with a lot of fast moving scenes. The CPU/GPU would be refreshing the skin at a high rate.

In my case i was just browising the cnn app (no video) and browsing text/images on imdb, a few texts sent, email checked (acquamail).

I suppose that all makes sense though, on the "browser" side, if you assume basically that the two apps are basically "browsers" for relaying the info, just in app format.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

My cell eating a lot of battery. A friend recommend me use EZ Package Disabler (Samsung) to save battery. But I have to donate to use. I don't know whether it is good or not. Anyone here can giv me feedback? :(

I used "package disabler", but to me, it didnt help much.. as I think you really need to get to the bottom of what is causing the phone to drain so quickly or not stay asleep when idle for long periods..

I still see often, 30 minutes out of 1 hour where its awake when the phone is sitting there off in the statistics screen.

hishaq96

May 27, 2016
Visit site

I am mostly at 90% with under 30 mins SOT is this normal?

motimou

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site

some application is eating, facebook. Use the power saving option in settings

Linani

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site

Pls pls I have the same problem. Pls tell me how you disable apps. My friend recommend EZ package disabler, bt have to donate. I dont know how it is.

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you've got the latest Android System Webview 54.0.2840.61. After yesterday's update my battery seems back to normal, even without "force stop" on gear Vr

mushie143

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you've got the latest Android System Webview 54.0.2840.61. After yesterday's update my battery seems back to normal, even without "force stop" on gear Vr
Is there anyway to get the update beside through the playstore? The latest version it has for me is 53.xxx

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Basically like in the title..

I have the s7 edge tmobile version (32GB).. running nova and i do have quite a few things installed.

I typically use Gsam to monitor drain.. i'm seeing anywhere from 15-25% drain with just the screen on (and/or browsing facebook, the web, emails), which seems ridiculous to me.

I've tried disabling things in package disabler to no avail.

Its hard to pinpoint a culprit using gsam.. i also try using the wakelock detector app but i'm not rooted so its not much use. (not wanting to root, because i hear you have to jump through hoops to make certain things work and also may have more battery drain).

Conversly.. Typically when i view the phone after its been off, ill see 3-5% while its turned off per hour.. in one hour the phone might wake up 25% of that time, say 15 minutes maybe 20.. this is on a good day.

Some of the key apps i use include:

Chomp SMS
Google Now plugins
Various Oculus apps and cardboard
Weatherbug
AquaMail
Mysms
AutomateIT
ESFile Explorer
Hangouts
Facebook
Amazon app
Nova Launcher Prime
Spotify
Messenger (for FB)
TextNow

Anyone else having these issues and if so how did you determine what was causing it?

Thanks in advance

I have the same problem too and my phone would heat up so much that it was pretty impossible to handle. I did a security wipe and reinstall my apps.

I am now using the BlackBerry launcher with the hub+ this will handle my sms and emails and I heard soon to handle Facebook messages as well.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I can't figure out what is eating my battery. Did a factory reset and had my apps reloaded back... Still have the same issue. My app usage is at 71% and I barely used my phone today I have 1.5 hours of SOT.

66d7b72aba589afc122614995ecdb18f.jpg

84243daff39afc97d7ba1004b5c20b39.jpg

ffef5c818f3aa6ba57339b5bdf7183fb.jpg

randun

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm a new Edge user & must say that over the years, I've never had a better experience with a battery.

I'm a semi power user with my 32GB phone loaded, with many apps running in the background.

Guess it's a matter of variability between users, networks, & phones.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Just returned to my S7 Edge after returning the Note 7, and battery life is considerably worse than I remember it to be. Wonder what's going on.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Just returned to my S7 Edge after returning the Note 7, and battery life is considerably worse than I remember it to be. Wonder what's going on.
As you can see in my screenshots above I am getting horrible battery life. Ever since the July security updates.

hishaq96

May 27, 2016
Visit site

I can't figure out what is eating my battery. Did a factory reset and had my apps reloaded back... Still have the same issue. My app usage is at 71% and I barely used my phone today I have 1.5 hours of SOT.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/66d7b72aba589afc122614995ecdb18f.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/84243daff39afc97d7ba1004b5c20b39.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/ffef5c818f3aa6ba57339b5bdf7183fb.jpg
I too did a factory reset and the battery is still draining as it used to

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I think the app drain is typical, per some shots in this thread from the 3d battery widget app.. you can see 12-15% for generic usage.. and after comparing with some reports from an iphone 6s plus, it sounds as if that level of drain is par..

Whats not so par is the off drain.. granted in my case i have a lot of background tasking going on, keeping it from deep sleep id say.. using 3c, i can see an average of 1.8-3% when its off and been off for awhile.

I can bring it down by 0.5% per hour by turning off the active display and edge features.. of course i could put it in airplane mode and it would barely drain while off at all.

It seems to impossible a task to try to determine what is causing the drain, though things seem to point to the "android os" as being the biggest sucker of battery (common in a lot of threads out there).

I also use adoptable storage (64gb sd card u3 etc).. not sure if thats a factor.

Its either disable half of what makes the phone useful and get better standby life, or live with a 2-3% (best case scenario) drain while off in my case, is my thinking.