How to use the 1/x button in Calculator app

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm presuming that the 1/x button in the calculator is the reciprocal function.
If I type 2 1/x = then I get 0.5 ... so far, so good.

Now I want to take the reciprocal of 649/35
I type 649/35 and press = ... and get a number around 18.54
If I now press the reciprocal button, it just appends x1÷ to the number. If I then press = it says "Invalid format used"

If I type 649/35 then 1/x all I get is 649/35x1÷ and nothing happens. If I press = then I get the same "Invalid format used" message.

So is there an easy way to find the reciprocal of a result (of a prior calculation) ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's odd, because I can't get the first operation to work like you say. If I press '2' and then '1/x', I get the same appended 1÷ and format error... BUT if I press 1/x first and then 2, I can get the correct result.

So, to do what you want (reciprocal of a previous calculation), you'd have to manually move the cursor to before the operation result and then hit the reciprocal button.

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
BUT if I press 1/x first and then 2, I can get the correct result.
Ah, so do I. Sorry about adding confusion to my post.

I've found a couple of calculators (MobiCalc and Calcu) which allow me to take the reciprocal of the current resultin a single press, so I'll use one of those.

I'm making more frequent errors when dividing, getting the value the wrong way round. So an instant reciprocal is high on my list of priorities.

Thanks for putting me out of my misery, describing how I would have to do it.

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
...however, in the situation where pressing the 1/x key would just append x1÷ it would be preferable to take the reciprocal of the current result instead.

Or does the x1÷ string serve some useful purpose?