Group Text Limit

ITworksLLC

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just switched from iPhone 6S Plus to the S7 Edge. This is a "real" switch, not one of the ones that I'll regret and switch back to an iPhone in a month or two; I switched my wife over too... lol

So my "cry for help" this afternoon is with group messaging. I'm on a non-profit board and there are 15-20 of us that need to group message during our annual festival. With my iPhone it worked great! With my Galaxy this year.... not so much. It limits the number of people in the group to 10, so with most responses it ended up creating new message threads making it impossible for me to follow the conversation.

I've suggested for next year's festival we use a tool like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc. but for now, I'm just wondering if there's a "fix" for this. I'm not opposed to rooting my phone, but would rather not flash it with a new ROM.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a carrier limit, and some messaging apps limit to the number of the smallest carrier allowance. Samsung generally allows 20 per conversation. (Try one of their older Messages apps.)

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If everyone in the group had iPhones the carrier restriction won't apply. Unfortunately AT&T and T-Mobile have the 10 person restriction as far as I know. We just switched to Verizon for that very reason.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just switched from iPhone 6S Plus to the S7 Edge. This is a "real" switch, not one of the ones that I'll regret and switch back to an iPhone in a month or two; I switched my wife over too... lol

So my "cry for help" this afternoon is with group messaging. I'm on a non-profit board and there are 15-20 of us that need to group message during our annual festival. With my iPhone it worked great! With my Galaxy this year.... not so much. It limits the number of people in the group to 10, so with most responses it ended up creating new message threads making it impossible for me to follow the conversation.

I've suggested for next year's festival we use a tool like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc. but for now, I'm just wondering if there's a "fix" for this. I'm not opposed to rooting my phone, but would rather not flash it with a new ROM.

Your fix is not to rely on ancient SMS/MMS for messaging.

mar29020

May 20, 2016
Visit site
so what your saying is to tell anyone who has an iphone to download an app to accomadate you? its so annoying that i cant sent quality pics and videos to friends.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
so what your saying is to tell anyone who has an iphone to download an app to accomadate you? its so annoying that i cant sent quality pics and videos to friends.

SMS/MMS wasn't built for that.

So yes, get them to use an app, like Allo, or send via email.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So basically I'm screwed without using a third party app? Even if I were to use a custom ROM the issue is AT&T, not Samsung?
That's correct. If everyone was using iMessage in the group before it explains why you didn't have the issue and now do. I had the exact same problem when I moved from the iPhone back to Android. Luckily I get a nice employee discount with Verizon and we needed new phones so we ported our numbers over. It seems crazy that the limit exists but AT&T offered up no time table as to when it may change.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you can do with stock SMS, but there is also a GroupMe messaging app which I've used with my Church group before; and it worked really well. It's free to download, as well.

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I've had this issue in the past. Now you can use google photos and just send a link to a video, Whats App works as well. I know its annoying to have to download an additional app but the plus side that the videos and pictures come out in great resolution. Sometimes iMessages downgrades the quality of images and videos. With google photos, I don't think the person receiving the videos / pics need the app. On Whats App the will.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Verizon has a maximum of up to 20 simultaneous texts using their "message+" text app. I send roughly 60 simultaneously scheduled text per day 5 days a week with this app, and it has made my life easy.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak from experience but wouldn't Textra app allow more than 10 on AT&T?
I've also tried this and it does not work. The phone will automatically drop however many recipients over 10 which will create new group messages when you reply. It really is a pain and silly that they have a limit of 10.