My beautiful phone is dead!

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
So, this morning it started on the re-start, re-start kick. I decided to try the factory reset – it worked again, I reset all the data from the Samsung uplink, and then my beautiful dual SIM S7 edge keeled over and comprehensively died. No amount of magic button presses will wake it up again. Samsung UK won’t touch it as it was a far east import (though a totally genuine phone) and the company I got it from is no longer trading. The only think Samsung UK can suggest is that is re-flashed from a private UK repair store, but I am not certain that even this can be done if you can’t get it to come to life and boot into any form of menu – does anyone know? At the moment its only sign of life is a red LED top left of the unit is on. I’ve tried button combination going to get it back and been talked through by the Samsung lady on the phone. It’s DEAD.

So now I’ve got to go back to two phones – one business and one personal as you can’t legitimately buy a Dual SIM phone anywhere in the UK it seems (I’ve been researching this). Why, oh Why does the rest of the world get dual sim capability, but not the UK. The annoying thing is that dual sims are supported – the Samsung lady was surprised, but mine has been taking android updates, taking calls on both sims and behaving as it should for a good bit of time before it failed.

Wake up the UK and let us buy Dual sim phones!!

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, but I have genuinely tried holding down every key combination that it is possible to try. None of them work. At the moment I am waiting for the current red LED to die as a sign that the battery might be dead and was going to see if I could get a battery symbol back on charging, but I don't hold out much hope. Flashing it might be an option, but to do that I guess I would then need to charge it up again. I also live miles from a shop ghat could do it and I don't know if I'd trust one of these companies that collects the phone and disappears as it still has all my data on it!

jpullins

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried holding the volume up, home button, and power button for at least 2 minutes? My M8 I had a couple of years ago did the same thing but doing this minus the home button got it to work.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi Jpullins, well I thought that was worth a try, so I went to dig the phone out. Finally the red LED had gone off and it had discharged as I had been waiting for. So I plugged it in and to my total disbelief all the charging lights came on and the screen showed the charging symbol. It then booted as far as the Samsung Edge 7 white screen words. It wouldn’t go any further. So I gave it ten minutes on fast charge and tried the boot buttons. Standard on/off – no joy, but a soft reboot (vol down and power) for about 30 seconds caused a soft reboot and I got a total boot through to the desktop.
So the history to that point was:
Kept restarting – up for only a few minutes at a time
Factory reset from within the software – through the factory reset options
Samsung restore of data – had just finished then it blackscreened and me and that’s when I left it (have pushed even button combination under the sun) until today.
So at the moment it’s sitting here on charge, but I haven’t put in any sims yet. I’m open to suggestions as to what to do next given its history.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Well, I left it over-night with no sims installed and when I came down this morning it was back to a black screen and hadn’t discharged – when I plugged it in I got a grey picture of a battery with a white lightening bolt, but it wasn’t moving. The on/off switch didn’t work and it took a soft-boot again to get it going. My guess at the moment is that it might be connected to the timed screen off when the phones go onto standby, but I’m open to other thoughts.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Cheers zocster. OK, I've given that a go - I got the factory reset to work again, and for the moment it is sitting here, fully charged and without SIMS and with no accounts added - I'll see if it lasts overnight without turning off or resetting.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Having it work would just be too easy wouldn't it? Just sitting there on a factory restore and no data added from any account and no sims installed and within half an hour its black screened again.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I did not think the battery in an S7 edge was replaceable. I thought a non replaceable battery was a drawback in many modern mobile phones??

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Two more suggestions
Try first to clear cache partition then if that didn't work..

would be a reload of the OS, do you know a model number of the device, and odin it through. afterwards I would clear cache partition and do a factory reset again.

rocktauber

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A week ago I was on my S7 Edge talking to my colleague. The conversation ended and my phone went dark. I picked it up and was amazed how hot it was. It was not the normal heavy use hot. I waited a half hour and plugged it in. Nothing. I took the phone back to my Carrier and sent it off for repair. The heat issue is not confined to the Note series I believe. No other Manufacturer has a phone I was interested in and the Pixel was not available. I have had two S7 Products and both had serious issues. An anomaly? Maybe. I grabbed an iPhone 6s Plus in the meantime. Once I get my Edge back from repair, I might not stick with it. I believe we will start seeing more posts from unhappy Samsung Owners with Quality issues. That is just my opinion and not an indictment of Android.