New S7 Edge owner after returning Note 7 today

angiebugg

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Also, they keyboard and predictive text is much much better than on the note 7. The note would let me type garbage words and not correct them.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Same. Picked mine up yesterday, last day of the gear vr promo. Been pretty happy with the s7e so far
The Gear Promo has been extended to the 23rd, was able to get it today... I called and was told it was extended so anyone who hasn't done it should take advantage of it!

D_Gabe

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Everything has been great so far with my S7 Edge.... I'm only missing Note7's UI. Hopefully we'll get it soon on our S7 Edge phones.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
As much as I loved my Note 7 I just couldn't see keeping a phone I was not comfortable with. So I'm a new S7 Edge owner as of tonight. I'll do some nosing around here for tips.

The upside of this whole fiasco is I got a free 32" Samsung Smart TV for buying the S7 Edge tonight. :)

I looked into the free tv after reading your post, and was able to get it too. The $100 bill credit is also valid for purchase of Samsung phones through BestBuy. My situation was a little different since no stores near me have the s7 edge in stock. According to the website no stores with in XXX miles of me had any in stock. I was able to order an S7 edge on BestBuy's website at my reset Verizon 2-year contract plan and will get both the phone and tv Wednesday (10/19/16). If I'd gone directly through Verizon to get an s7 edge it wouldn't have shipped out until the 20th (which is what Verizon's website says is the current s7 edge ship date). Until I get my s7 edge Wednesday Verizon re-enabled my old HTC One M8 phone.

I'm disappointed that I can't keep my Note7, but at least with the S7 edge I'll get $100 bill credit, a free 32" tv, and I can still use the 256mb sd-card, wireless charger, and Gear VR devices I have from the Note7.

For those interested this is the free Samsung TV BestBuy is giving away with the S7 Edge:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...diag-un32j4500afxza%2F%23specs&token=wRL2BRG3

Last edited:

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if there will be a s7 edge shortage now that we all are switching from note 7 to s7 edge ?
I mean if so in a way that is a bit of a good thing for Samsung so that they can retain customer within their brand.. did anyone get the $100 credit Samsung is offering? Best buy said they don't know about it so I didn't get it:(

Its good through BestBuy. Here is their page about it:
Galaxy Note7 Information - Best Buy

I think I'm going to get screwed out of the $100... I'm getting the S7E outright, and I wanted to get the Black Onyx. The only color not available for 250 miles from my area. I had to order it through the best buy web site, but they have this weird thing that doesn't allow them to ship inventory to other stores, they have to come out of the regional warehouses. So there basically isn't any Black Onyx S7Edge in my area.

Since I had to order it and have it shipped to my house, I have to return my Note 7 when my S7E gets here on Tuesday as opposed to exchanging the N7 for the S7E in store. What a pain. I did manage to get my S7E, unlocked and expedited to arrive on Tuesday, for a dollar less than the total retail cost of the device.
When I spoke with a Verizon rep on the phone before I placed the order on BestBuy's website she said that when the new phone contract plan (associated with my phone number and the Note 7) hits their system it triggers a thing that causes them to send out a box for the Note 7. When that Note 7 is confirmed to be shipping to them or is received by them and the new s7 edge is activated then the refunding of the Note 7 and the $100 bill credit will both activate on the account.

I now have the S7edge too. First real full day without processing an update and the battery hasn't been as good as my note. By 9pm I would still have 30% left. Maybe a couple of more cycles and it will get better.
The s7 edge battery is bigger, so that should lead to more battery life if the software was the same. I think the bulkier non-Grace UI of the s7 edge, and to a smaller degree the higher PPI (518 for the Note7 vs 534 for the s7edge) might account for a bit more battery drain on the s7edge.
Did you disable useless background apps (like DT Ignite)?
You could also try using a different launcher. From what I recall someone in a Note7 thread mentioned a free Google one (it might have had the word "material", "black", or "simple" in the name from what I recall) that is close to the Grace UI interface.

Also, they keyboard and predictive text is much much better than on the note 7. The note would let me type garbage words and not correct them.
I don't understand why they'd be different unless you are using different keyboard apps (Swiftkey vs Samsung's build in keyboard).

Last edited:

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The Gear Promo has been extended to the 23rd, was able to get it today... I called and was told it was extended so anyone who hasn't done it should take advantage of it!

I'm not seeing that it has been extended? Went on the Samsung site, and can't find that it has been updated. Can you provide a link?

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I've just exchanged my Note7 for a S7 Edge phone + 128 gb micro SD card, and a fast charge wireless charger. I really miss Note7's touchwiz version. They should update the S7 Edge to the Note7 software version (of course without the S-Pen features).

By the way, is it normal that 10% of the battery life was consumed during the 7 hours I was sleeping? It also overheated a lot when I tested the Wireless charger.

Can any S7 Edge owner confirm me how does the battery life should last over night?

1 to 2%. AOD off.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
When I spoke with a Verizon rep on the phone before I placed the order on BestBuy's website she said that when the new phone contract plan (associated with my phone number and the Note 7) hits their system it triggers a thing that causes them to send out a box for the Note 7. When that Note 7 is confirmed to be shipping to them or is received by them and the new s7 edge is activated then the refunding of the Note 7 and the $100 bill credit will both activate on the account.

I'm not under contract, and I purchased all my devices outright. I'm also on AT&T. When I spoke with AT&T, they did see that my $25 credit was pending on my account and should be available on the next bill. The rep also asked me if I'd like for her to authorize the $25 now (the day I spoke with her) so it will show on my next bill. I', just hoping the same thing happens for my new credit for switching to another Samsung device.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

I'm not under contract, and I purchased all my devices outright. I'm also on AT&T. When I spoke with AT&T, they did see that my $25 credit was pending on my account and should be available on the next bill. The rep also asked me if I'd like for her to authorize the $25 now (the day I spoke with her) so it will show on my next bill. I', just hoping the same thing happens for my new credit for switching to another Samsung device.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing that it has been extended? Went on the Samsung site, and can't find that it has been updated. Can you provide a link?
I was told by the Samsung rep that although the link says the 9th,you should choose the 9th for the purchase date and still upload the receipt and it will still go through as long as it's before the 23rd

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried this and was rejected.

Yup. Me too. Rejected

I was also rejected.

I just called the Samsung Rep and he told me that it should not have been rejected, so he said he will forward my information to the promotion team department and explain it to them so I can get the promotion.

I would call customer support and tell them you were part of the recall so you should be able to get it

1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864)