I'm on my second Edge 7, as the first one had a faulty battery in terms of storing power (not through runaway apps!) and very happy with it, but I do have a question raised by the Note 7 fiasco.

Many sources seem to suggest that the Note 7 problem is caused by expecting too much from the battery, making it too small while storing more power and being driven too hard. However, while that sounds reasonable, if it was true surely it is more the case with the Edge? That is as powerful, smaller, and has an even higher capacity!

So, did Samsung make a serious design mistake and tried to blame it on the battery maker, or do they really have no idea what's going on?
    10-11-2016 04:07 PM
    Remember the edge was out for 6 months before the Note. Second, the Note has a different battery. It's supposed to be a new type of lithium polymer. The Edge uses the standard previous tech.

The Edge does not have a smaller battery. In fact it's larger. Only the phone is smaller.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    10-11-2016 04:19 PM
    I presume there were design considerations, but I just find it odd. Why use a different battery when the Edge 7 has bigger capacity?

Whatever the reason (maybe the pen tech uses a lot of space) it goes back to my initial point, it seems that Samsung have effectively blamed the battery maker for their design failing.
    10-11-2016 04:32 PM
    So, did Samsung make a serious design mistake and tried to blame it on the battery maker, or do they really have no idea what's going on?
    As the post above this mentions, the Note 7 battery was different. Before the recall, I had read where the N7 battery was claiming to have a longer cycle life. In terms of charge to discharge. Though finding a link to that now vs all of the media covering faults of said battery is near impossible.

Would not have any more concern about the S7E battery vs any other device.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    10-11-2016 04:35 PM
    I could see why they may have gone for that battery if there was a lower discharge rate, but hindsight is a cruel mistress...
    10-11-2016 04:39 PM
    What I want to know is why didn't anything like this get caught in QC? I mean I imagine they had to have tested all this before releasing the device....I guess it's really never enough.
    10-11-2016 04:49 PM
    What I want to know is why didn't anything like this get caught in QC? I mean I imagine they had to have tested all this before releasing the device....I guess it's really never enough.
    Sometimes it's not. All sorts of car manufacturers have missed things, and so has Apple and LG.

Until we have products 100 percent made by A.I. there are going to sometimes be human error.
    10-11-2016 05:00 PM
    Standard quality control means only testing a few devices out of an entire batch. Probably 1 in every 10,000 in cases of large production companies. Also, as mentioned above, even in other companies like Toyota, major defects have evaded quality control. Even Apple had the exploding iPhones back in 2014. They didn't issue a recall. What can be done though is to have a longer period of testing or having smaller sample sizes in QC.
    angiebugg likes this.
    10-12-2016 12:29 AM