Black is the new black

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So yes. Lots of people are returning their note 7's for S7 edges. The most popular color or hard to get for Note 7 was coral blue. This was before the iPhone 7 came out. Well thanks to iPhone black is the new black.

Called 13 stores in Texas for T-Mobile and a few for ATT and Atlanta too. Same story silver and gold only or black just sold out. Funny thing is 2 days ago I almost got a black s7 edge and T-Mobile rep talked me out of it saying he talked to Samsung that day and they will make them again and they are good phones to keep.

But anyone wanting black will have to wait. At least almost every T-Mobile store I called they are getting new shipments every day. ATT too

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Of course, that is a moot point is you put the device in a case.... :)

Depends on the case you get but yes. I'm looking to get the OtterBox defender since it's technically the only case with built in screen protector and has good reviews. Although very hard to find. I've seen online people struggling to find good screen protectors too

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the case you get but yes. I'm looking to get the OtterBox defender since it's technically the only case with built in screen protector and has good reviews. Although very hard to find. I've seen online people struggling to find good screen protectors too

Beware. Its very difficult to type near the edges. Neitjer the Defender or Symmetry case worked with my wireless charger.

Plus taking it in and out for the VR is uggh and would probably break over time.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Crap. Thanks for the heads up. Yes I'll definitely be using the VR headset and wireless charging is one of the reasons I'm keeping the galaxy line. I love my wireless charging.

I guess the armour suit is the way to go it worked flawless on my note 7 and I loved my Spigen hybrid duo. Thank you for the advice

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue In Houston. They only had silver and gold. I wasn't going to go store to store to hunt for black so I just got silver. It's not bad it's just not black. Lol

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So yes. Lots of people are returning their note 7's for S7 edges. The most popular color or hard to get for Note 7 was coral blue. This was before the iPhone 7 came out. Well thanks to iPhone black is the new black.

Called 13 stores in Texas for T-Mobile and a few for ATT and Atlanta too. Same story silver and gold only or black just sold out. Funny thing is 2 days ago I almost got a black s7 edge and T-Mobile rep talked me out of it saying he talked to Samsung that day and they will make them again and they are good phones to keep.

But anyone wanting black will have to wait. At least almost every T-Mobile store I called they are getting new shipments every day. ATT too
I was told today that their system doesn't show black anymore. The rep told me if a color is backordered, it will state that in the system. It doesn't sound like black is an option for T-mobile any longer.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm totally digging my chrome or adamantium S7 edge. I loved the black Note 7 because the frame was also black. Don't like the silver frame on the black S7.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get my silver. Not feeling it right now, though. Looking at skins for the front, but waiting to see the color in person first.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I got my S7E in black because silver was too reflective... if the sun is behind you, it'd blind you. Would love to have the blue coral, but that isn't gonna happen now. Oh well, at least the black looks super sleek.

FWIW, I was looking at the Otterbox Defender a little while ago, and it did not appear to have a screen protector. It might on the regular S7, but not on the Edge it seems. I'm trying to determine what the best tempered glass screen protector is now

Rob

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah black is no longer showing online. I still can't believe that t-mobile rep talked me out of returning my N7. The one I returned the N7 to was extremely helpful and patient with the whole process. I love that adamantium edition. That's awesome. And yes I actually do like the silver quite a bit. The gold one is horrible looking but the silver is nice. Yeah it might reflect or glare in sunlight but a case could help. I've heard people have a hard time finding a tempered glass screen protector due to the edges. Both otterbox and zagg tempered screen protectors aren't reviewed well and touch sensitivity is an issue I've heard that is caused by them .

Good luck to anyone finding a case target, best buy, frys several stores are sold out of S7 Edge cases and accessories. I was going to settle on a samsung s7 edge cover or flip cover and can't find any place that has those. Yet almost every place has plenty of note 7 cases, screen protectors and accessories. The otterbox defender does have a screen protector for the s7 edge that's why some people like it since it's built into the case.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Liked my gold S7E, but loved my blue coral/gold trim Note 7 even more. I'm happy they're bringing the coral blue to the S7E.

Can't really go wrong with black, but it's nothing spectacular either. I did like the Note 7's back more thanks to the black metal trim to go with it. I think the black S7E would have looked stunning with the subtle gold metal trim of the coral blue Note 7.

People will always most commonly go with the most basic color options. I don't remember black/silver/gray not being the most popular choice for any smartphone over the years. I got my S7E at launch back in February and remember most people choosing black.

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
The very first time I went into Best Buy to "Reluctantly" turn in my awesome Note 7 device the only color that had in sick for VZW was the Rose Gold-which obviously wouldn't go too well with this Retired / Disabled Marine Corps First Sergeant! ;)
Their search for a Black or Silver one didn't bring up anything promising whatsoever, and I was told to simply call on Thursday when the delivery truck comes in. Since that didn't sit too well with me I had to pull my trump card (Zero Pun Intended there!) and speak with my good buddy who is the Store Manager. Somehow he located a Black Onyx one for me about an hour away (Northern Virginia) and unknown to me, sent one of his employees out there to pick it up for me - I was completely blown away when he called me later that evening to tell me he had done this and had it in his hand as he spoke to me on the phone! He also stated he wouldn't scan it into inventory since there would no doubt be someone seeking it and the Reps would be tearing the place apart until they found it buried in his desk waiting for me! Lol.

This past Saturday (The actual day it all transpired) I went in and with tears in my eyes (Joking of course- but again reluctantly) turned in my Note 7 device which was the original (Not replacement) which I had no issues with at all, and picked up my new Black Onyx S7 Edge which I am just getting used to now. Granted, there are some features the Note 7 had which I wish this one did as well, but thats the price one pays when buying something which has been out for awhile, highly reviewed, and tried & true - is that safe to say folks?

Now comes the time to accessorize and download all the best Apps to get the jobs done as they are intended to do! :)
Any advice or suggestions on Apps would be greatly appreciated folks. I am actually seeking a high quality Magnetic Car Phone Holder (That doesn't mount inside the vent like the one i got for the Note 7 and didn't work) And YES I have surfed this whole section using the keywords as well. Just thought Id toss that out there. IMHO, Best Buy is hands down the Cat's Meow and they truly showed me how far they'd go to appease just one customer (ME) and I hope anyone else who dealt with them was treated as good too.

So BLACK is the NEW BLACK for this ole Marine now!!
Thanks for even making a thread about it too - as Im still pretty new to the forum as well. OOHRAH !!!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. Dint worry that some people will bash Best Buy. It's all in who you talk to. Congrats on getting the black one. I had to settle for silver.

James Pettengill

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I actually had the opposite experience trading in my note 7 at att. The guy had to dig and dig to find the last 2 silver ones they had. Black was plentiful at that att store.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
The very first time I went into Best Buy to "Reluctantly" turn in my awesome Note 7 device the only color that had in sick for VZW was the Rose Gold-which obviously wouldn't go too well with this Retired / Disabled Marine Corps First Sergeant! ;)
Their search for a Black or Silver one didn't bring up anything promising whatsoever, and I was told to simply call on Thursday when the delivery truck comes in. Since that didn't sit too well with me I had to pull my trump card (Zero Pun Intended there!) and speak with my good buddy who is the Store Manager. Somehow he located a Black Onyx one for me about an hour away (Northern Virginia) and unknown to me, sent one of his employees out there to pick it up for me - I was completely blown away when he called me later that evening to tell me he had done this and had it in his hand as he spoke to me on the phone! He also stated he wouldn't scan it into inventory since there would no doubt be someone seeking it and the Reps would be tearing the place apart until they found it buried in his desk waiting for me! Lol.

This past Saturday (The actual day it all transpired) I went in and with tears in my eyes (Joking of course- but again reluctantly) turned in my Note 7 device which was the original (Not replacement) which I had no issues with at all, and picked up my new Black Onyx S7 Edge which I am just getting used to now. Granted, there are some features the Note 7 had which I wish this one did as well, but thats the price one pays when buying something which has been out for awhile, highly reviewed, and tried & true - is that safe to say folks?

Now comes the time to accessorize and download all the best Apps to get the jobs done as they are intended to do! :)
Any advice or suggestions on Apps would be greatly appreciated folks. I am actually seeking a high quality Magnetic Car Phone Holder (That doesn't mount inside the vent like the one i got for the Note 7 and didn't work) And YES I have surfed this whole section using the keywords as well. Just thought Id toss that out there. IMHO, Best Buy is hands down the Cat's Meow and they truly showed me how far they'd go to appease just one customer (ME) and I hope anyone else who dealt with them was treated as good too.

So BLACK is the NEW BLACK for this ole Marine now!!
Thanks for even making a thread about it too - as Im still pretty new to the forum as well. OOHRAH !!!

Welcome aboard (gold S7E owner here since February, owned a blue Note7 after that) and I'm glad my neck of the woods (northern VA) had one in black onyx for you.

Your question re apps really all depends on your own use case. I'd say don't forget to take advantage of features like always-on display and wireless charging.

I highly recommend Textra as your default text messaging app. It's sleek, clean, customizable, and for me handles MMS messaging much better than the default or Google messaging apps. You can even choose which emoji set you'd like to use. I go with the iOS emojis... the only thing I like about iOS lol.

I'd download Swiftkey for your keyboard (I like the dark carbon look) and utilize the theme store (I like the free Material Dark theme).

I don't know how new you are to Android, but also don't forget to take advantage of the widgets on your home screen. I like the weather and google search bar widgets (of course) but also have the ESPN one displaying scores galore.

Don't forget to set-up Samsung Pay, which is a very convenient little perk of sticking with a Samsung phone through this Note7 mess.

If you use the default Samsung Internet browser instead of Chrome, take advantage of the AdBlocker for it, which you can install from the Play Store.

There are countless apps one could recommend, but again it all depends on what you're into. For me, it's a ton of sports/tv streaming apps.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Welcome aboard (gold S7E owner here since February, owned a blue Note7 after that) and I'm glad my neck of the woods (northern VA) had one in black onyx for you.

Your question re apps really all depends on your own use case. I'd say don't forget to take advantage of features like always-on display and wireless charging.

I highly recommend Textra as your default text messaging app. It's sleek, clean, customizable, and for me handles MMS messaging much better than the default or Google messaging apps. You can even choose which emoji set you'd like to use. I go with the iOS emojis... the only thing I like about iOS lol.

I'd download Swiftkey for your keyboard (I like the dark carbon look) and utilize the theme store (I like the free Material Dark theme).

I don't know how new you are to Android, but also don't forget to take advantage of the widgets on your home screen. I like the weather and google search bar widgets (of course) but also have the ESPN one displaying scores galore.

Don't forget to set-up Samsung Pay, which is a very convenient little perk of sticking with a Samsung phone through this Note7 mess.

If you use the default Samsung Internet browser instead of Chrome, take advantage of the AdBlocker for it, which you can install from the Play Store.

There are countless apps one could recommend, but again it all depends on what you're into. For me, it's a ton of sports/tv streaming apps.
Where in northern VA? I lived in Loudoun County for 5 years.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci