Thinking about returning my S7 edge.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I got this s7 edge to replace my replacement note 7, and Like the title says...

I still have my note 4, it works, just dosent charge very fast, or connect to my pc (USB port issue), but I think I prefer it to this 7 edge.

Part of it is that I'm really missing the pen... never really used it on the n4, but used it a lot on the n7, and am now having withdrawls. also, this 7 edge seems quite laggy compared to both the n7 and my n4 (n4 was actually pretty snappy), battery life is abysmal compared to both n7's I had, and about equal to what I got from my n4.

HEAT! This edge gets wicked hot, the n7 barely got warm even with the vr, and the n4 only got warm when I pushed it.

screen size. I know it's not even a 1/4" smaller, but with the edges being so pronounced, and the corners so rounded, it really feels small. I'm constantly correcting my fat finger mistakes, where I rarely had to on either note.

Last but not least... I'm kinda hoping the n8 (or whatever they call it) gets released with the s8 in Feb. Being as the "X" series is supposed to drop next year, Sammy could very well fix whatever the issue is with the n7, make a few tweaks, and release it as the n8 (or whatever) at the same time as the s8, and still have another flagship release for q3/q4.... and if I stick with the s7e, I won't be able to upgrade to anything til Oct 2017.

What ya'll think?

Posted this in the edge 7 forum as well, but really wanna know what u hold outs think?

JohnT3

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the screen seeming a lot smaller. The more pronounced curved "edge" catches a lot more reflection which frames the screen smaller than it actually is. At least that's what I thought.

guthrien

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it stinks they're getting so many people on this phone after the bomb. Just seems like an inferior test run,and too expensive. It would remind me of what I lost.

anon(9419666)

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I think you should return the s7 and get a refund if you are not satisfied with it. Then you can just wait until the s8 or the note 7 replacement. However I don't think they will rerelease the note 7.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
No, don't think the note 7 will ever be "re-re-released" but they could fix the issues, redesign it, call it whatever they want, and sell it with the s8.... as bad as the timing may seem now, it could work to their favor....

Release s8, s8e, and s8n(or whatever they call it) then in Aug/Sept/Oct unveil the "x" series....

I would think being as they already aligned the numbers between note, and "s" series, this is not a far fetched idea....

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's more interesting to me, that not a single person here, or on the s7e forums has yet to say "the s7e is far better than the note 4"

Maybe that's Cuz it's not THAT much better?

Or maybe it's Cuz of the lack of people that switched from n4 to n7, or s7e? Idk?

Either way, it's interesting....

Eta: at the end of the day, it comes down to $ spent, ando although I was content spending what I did for the n7, it's not so much for the s7e....

Not when I could just wait, and maybe get what I want in a couple months..

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It's more interesting to me, that not a single person here, or on the s7e forums has yet to say "the s7e is far better than the note 4"

Or maybe it's Cuz of the lack of people that switched from n4 to n7, or s7e? Idk?

Well, that's probably because the S series and the Note series are difficult to compare as to which is 'better'. Like the Note 7 and the GS7e - it depended on what you are looking for. I still have my Note 4 and GS7e and I chose to put my primary SIM in the GS7e rather than the Note 4.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the screen seeming a lot smaller. The more pronounced curved "edge" catches a lot more reflection which frames the screen smaller than it actually is. At least that's what I thought.

I think this is exactly the reason why the screen seems to be a lot smaller than 5.7".

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's probably because the S series and the Note series are difficult to compare as to which is 'better'. Like the Note 7 and the GS7e - it depended on what you are looking for. I still have my Note 4 and GS7e and I chose to put my primary SIM in the GS7e rather than the Note 4.

Mind if I ask why the s7e and not the n4?

I have both now, and the n7 still, and I'd rather just go back to the n7, even with the safety bs, and disabled oculus...

But to choose between a n4, and s7e that will cost me almost as much as the n7, with half the features, just seems dumb...

Obviously... if I already owned the s7e, and upgraded from it, and had 1 to fall back on, Ithe might make more sense

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Eta: at the end of the day, it comes down to $ spent, ando although I was content spending what I did for the n7, it's not so much for the s7e....

Not when I could just wait, and maybe get what I want in a couple months..

I'm guessing most of them never owned a Note 4 to make the comparison. Even if they did, it would be an odd comparison considering how much older the S7E is. They're most likely to compare it with a Note 7, one of the S6 series phones, maybe a Note 5. To me, the difference is clear. The S7E is, predictably, the better device as the newer of the two. Better display, more features, snappier (now), more premium design, etc. Only advantage the Note 4 really has is the S-Pen. If it's that important, stick with a Note. Though I'd go Note 5 over Note 4.

harish gonthina

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi, One of Major problems i have faced with Samsung S7 edge is the touch sensitivity on the edges and also i feel the edges have robbed off the screen space which results too many typo errors but it goes beyond doubt that S7 edge screen is one of the gorgeous screen i have ever seen. However, i would suggest you to go to a service center to get your mobile inspected wrt the heating issue. Currently, my sister is using the S7 edge and she is an avid gamer but not once she complained of abnormal heating issues with the mobile. If you are looking out for a new mobile, you might as well consider the LG v10 and blackberry priv( currently both are pegged at 400$ unlocked). I hope this helps. Cheers, Harish

Jad Morffier

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site

I still have my note 4, it works, just dosent charge very fast, or connect to my pc (USB port issue), but I think I prefer it to this 7 edge.

Part of it is that I'm really missing the pen... never really used it on the n4, but used it a lot on the n7, and am now having withdrawls. also, this 7 edge seems quite laggy compared to both the n7 and my n4 (n4 was actually pretty snappy), battery life is abysmal compared to both n7's I had, and about equal to what I got from my n4.

HEAT! This edge gets wicked hot, the n7 barely got warm even with the vr, and the n4 only got warm when I pushed it.

screen size. I know it's not even a 1/4" smaller, but with the edges being so pronounced, and the corners so rounded, it really feels small. I'm constantly correcting my fat finger mistakes, where I rarely had to on either note.

Last but not least... I'm kinda hoping the n8 (or whatever they call it) gets released with the s8 in Feb. Being as the "X" series is supposed to drop next year, Sammy could very well fix whatever the issue is with the n7, make a few tweaks, and release it as the n8 (or whatever) at the same time as the s8, and still have another flagship release for q3/q4.... and if I stick with the s7e, I won't be able to upgrade to anything til Oct 2017.

What ya'll think?

Posted this in the edge 7 forum as well, but really wanna know what u hold outs think?

I was almost in the exact same situation as you. I upgraded from the Note4 to the Note7. When the first recall happened my carrier lent me a S7 Edge for a month and then I got the replacement Note7.

I played around with the S7 Edge for about 24 before I switched it off and went back to my Note4. I didn't like the S7 Edge for the very same reasons you didn't.

So when the 2nd Note7 recall happened I returned it to my carrier and went on a SIM-only plan. I am not back on the Note4 because IMHO there is no flagship smartphone out there that competes with the Note7, and to some extent the Note4 (sPen, 5.7" screen, QuadHD, 518ppi, 16MP Cam, removable battery, microSD expansion...).

If you're interested you can actually install the full Note7 rom on your Note4. I've done it on mine (N910G) and it runs awesome. It does pretty much everything the Note7 does bar Always On Display (AOD) and fingerscan. But there are people working around the clock to get that running properly too. So if that sounds like something you might be interested in let me know and I'll send a link or something.

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, if you want an (S!)Pen ... there are clearly no alternatives. Stick with one of the old notes.

As for battery life of the S7E, I get close to nine hours SOT average (!) So it's clearly not a phone related issue. No 'laggyness' either.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If I still had my Note 4. I would of returned my Note 7 and got my Upgrade back and use the Note 4 for another year. Now I have to choose a new phone.

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I also went from the note 4 to the note 7. Got a s7 edge to replace my Note 7. Returned it after 2 days cause I didn't like the curve on the screen and missed the s pen. Ended up with a 64 gb note 5.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

What ya'll think?

For me, I had the S7 EDGE just a few days and also realized I missed the S Pen. I felt the screen was a little too curved and appeared toour small that way. It worked great, I just preferred the note. I went with a new Note 5 through my carrier and love it. Flat screen, fast, s pen, does everything I need, plus I got another $10 samsung pay credit and dunkin donuts credit ha ha

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the S7e as replacement for my GN7 which I love. I really want to use my "Free" 256 GB SD card. If the N5 had the SD ability I would consider that. So looking @ N 4 vs. S7e.

Google Pixel XL & iPhone 7 Plus are eliminated due to no external storage.

LG V20 ??? Not sure.

While I obviously cannot make notes on S7e, I wonder if I can use my S-pen (Which I will keep) to tap the screen of an S7e bc my fingers are too fat, to reduce typos. I had done that with my GN7 & virtually no typos. I just tested tapping my GN7 keyboard with the plastic back of a regular pen & it only worked 1/2 the time so, that is not a viable option.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the S7e as replacement for my GN7 which I love. I really want to use my "Free" 256 GB SD card. If the N5 had the SD ability I would consider that. So looking @ N 4 vs. S7e.

Google Pixel XL & iPhone 7 Plus are eliminated due to no external storage.

LG V20 ??? Not sure.

While I obviously cannot make notes on S7e, I wonder if I can use my S-pen (Which I will keep) to tap the screen of an S7e bc my fingers are too fat, to reduce typos. I had done that with my GN7 & virtually no typos. I just tested tapping my GN7 keyboard with the plastic back of a regular pen & it only worked 1/2 the time so, that is not a viable option.
It's been reported that the spen does not work on the s7 edge

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing most of them never owned a Note 4 to make the comparison. Even if they did, it would be an odd comparison considering how much older the S7E is. They're most likely to compare it with a Note 7, one of the S6 series phones, maybe a Note 5. To me, the difference is clear. The S7E is, predictably, the better device as the newer of the two. Better display, more features, snappier (now), more premium design, etc. Only advantage the Note 4 really has is the S-Pen. If it's that important, stick with a Note. Though I'd go Note 5 over Note 4.

Most Note users having the N4 as their device previous to the N7, wouldn't get a N5. They might be able to get past the non-removeable battery, but the lack of MicroSD is a killer for most.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I am not using the N5 is because it doesn't have expandable memory and it can't do 4k video while taking pics at the same time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084