Thinking about returning my S7 edge.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think maybe you just got a bad one. That said, if you need the S-pen, that's a personal choice. Not sure what your situation is if you are buying outright or not, but sounds like you need a Note5 to hold you over.

fwinst

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If I still had my Note 4. I would of returned my Note 7 and got my Upgrade back and use the Note 4 for another year. Now I have to choose a new phone.

I gave my N4 to my son when I got the N7. I didn't want the S7E because I realy like the S-pen, and because I couldn't justify the cost of the phone when a new model is due out in 4 months. I decided the lesser of the evils was to buy a used N4 on Swappa. The monthly cost difference between buying the N4, and monthly cost of S7E over the 4 months is about $20 a month. It's worth it to me not to be stuck for at least a year. If the next Note comes out in Fall of 2017, as usual, my monthly cost is about half of the S7E.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I see the problem. I would but we have 10 lines and the kids get the hand me downs. So when that new note hits the market I will have 4 or 5 lines free to buy on. Yay!

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I was almost in the exact same situation as you. I upgraded from the Note4 to the Note7. When the first recall happened my carrier lent me a S7 Edge for a month and then I got the replacement Note7.

I played around with the S7 Edge for about 24 before I switched it off and went back to my Note4. I didn't like the S7 Edge for the very same reasons you didn't.

So when the 2nd Note7 recall happened I returned it to my carrier and went on a SIM-only plan. I am not back on the Note4 because IMHO there is no flagship smartphone out there that competes with the Note7, and to some extent the Note4 (sPen, 5.7" screen, QuadHD, 518ppi, 16MP Cam, removable battery, microSD expansion...).

If you're interested you can actually install the full Note7 rom on your Note4. I've done it on mine (N910G) and it runs awesome. It does pretty much everything the Note7 does bar Always On Display (AOD) and fingerscan. But there are people working around the clock to get that running properly too. So if that sounds like something you might be interested in let me know and I'll send a link or something.

I would like to have a link to that please? I'm interested in doing that as soon as I get another Note 4.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Note 4 after updating to Marshmallow, stock reset and new battery (take that, Note 7) rocks. Truly like a new device. Fast and great battery life. If the Note 4 was like this a year ago, I would have not bought the MXPE.

Due to Note 4 better signal reception than the Note 7, I'm getting the same battery life. Note 7 does about 45 minutes better in strong signal areas, but that is rare for me to be consistently n strong areas. Besides, simple battery swap for the Note 4.

Games play just as smooth on the Note 4 as the Note 7 and smoother than the MXPE (808 GPU has throttle issues the 805 does not). Just wish the Note 4 had another 32gb internal storage.

Agreed on the curve. It made the Note 7 seem smaller and especially the 7E. The curve makes the display hard to protect and distorts video and games.

I

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I was actually thinking more about the S7 EDGE but I noticed on tmobile site black isn't an option ... I m8ght call a couple local stores to see if they happen to have any black ones in Stock

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If the S7 Edge doesn't work for you and the Note 4 still does, then I would suggest returning the Edge and waiting for something t come along that fits your needs. I went Note 4 to Note 7 to S7 Edge. Liked the Note 7 the best, but I still like the S7 Edge more than the Note 4. But I also rarely used the pen. As for the curved edges, I thing I am the only person alive who likes the curve on the S7 Edge more so than on the Note 7. I like using the edge panels and for some reason I find them easier to use on the S7 Edge.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I was almost in the exact same situation as you. I upgraded from the Note4 to the Note7. When the first recall happened my carrier lent me a S7 Edge for a month and then I got the replacement Note7.

I played around with the S7 Edge for about 24 before I switched it off and went back to my Note4. I didn't like the S7 Edge for the very same reasons you didn't.

So when the 2nd Note7 recall happened I returned it to my carrier and went on a SIM-only plan. I am not back on the Note4 because IMHO there is no flagship smartphone out there that competes with the Note7, and to some extent the Note4 (sPen, 5.7" screen, QuadHD, 518ppi, 16MP Cam, removable battery, microSD expansion...).

If you're interested you can actually install the full Note7 rom on your Note4. I've done it on mine (N910G) and it runs awesome. It does pretty much everything the Note7 does bar Always On Display (AOD) and fingerscan. But there are people working around the clock to get that running properly too. So if that sounds like something you might be interested in let me know and I'll send a link or something.

No, I know how to root, and flash roms, the problem is that my USB port has issues, and won't connect to my pc, or fast charge. It only trickle charges really, from 2%-100% takes at least 8 hours.

Hell, if I coulda rooted and had custom roms, I prolly never woulda upgraded to the n7 when I did....

That said, I think I can live with it for a few more months to see what Sammy does in spring.

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
This is total agony..to have a phone like the N7 that is everything you want in a phone, no issues, no heating up...but you have to give it up because it might explode & you have to fly without it..and there is NO phone out there that compares. This is 64GB with a 250GB SD card & an awesome pen..I could do without the pen until the next one, but where is a 64GB phone with SD? I desperately want to keep this until Feb (really forever), but don't know how bad it would be without updates. I never charge at night..this fast- charges wonderfully when needed. I wish Samsung would quickly find a fix so we could keep it. :-(

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Almost in exactly the same scenario.
I have the Note 4, 24 month contract is honored. Been racking my brains here, I am happy with it, but now I have had a taste of the S7 Edge I am in Love with the Curved Screen and the fact the Screen is Edge to Edge. Also the Camera, the S7 Edge is better than my Note 4 at taking Photos.
However, if I was to set up a new Contract on the S7 Edge I would be locked in for another 2 years and don't know what next year will bring. I can't afford to buy the S7 Edge outright so contract is only option.
My initial concern was Note 4 wasn't getting Android 7 Nougat which set up to get the Note 7 in the first place.

My main concerns now are
a) My Note 4 still has great resale value, I can sell this right now for £200
b) How much longer, after 2 years, will my Note 4 last. Already I have slight Screen 'Burn-in' where the Notification Bar is because of Boat Browser. Have since switched to Opera Mini as it has the Full Screen Option
c) I have £50 Credit on my Carphone Warehouse account and with this I would like to get the 128GB Micro SD Card (3 for 2, so also Case and Wireless Charger)

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
This is total agony..to have a phone like the N7 that is everything you want in a phone, no issues, no heating up...but you have to give it up because it might explode & you have to fly without it..and there is NO phone out there that compares. This is 64GB with a 250GB SD card & an awesome pen..I could do without the pen until the next one, but where is a 64GB phone with SD? I desperately want to keep this until Feb (really forever), but don't know how bad it would be without updates. I never charge at night..this fast- charges wonderfully when needed. I wish Samsung would quickly find a fix so we could keep it. :-(

If I was lucky enough to have received my Note 7 Pre-Order in time before Recall I would DEFINITELY be keeping it at least until February/March 2017 NO QUESTION!

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
No, I know how to root, and flash roms, the problem is that my USB port has issues, and won't connect to my pc, or fast charge. It only trickle charges really, from 2%-100% takes at least 8 hours.

Hell, if I coulda rooted and had custom roms, I prolly never woulda upgraded to the n7 when I did....

That said, I think I can live with it for a few more months to see what Sammy does in spring.

I had issues with my Note 4 connecting to PC. USB Driver Update (KIES) and different USB (DATA) Cable worked!

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Just get the s7e. I know it only has 32 on board but with 256Gb sd it works great.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ironically, most folks that resist the 7E (like me) is due to the curve. The Note 7 curve was tolerable, but the 7E curve is too much if you play games or watch much video due to the curve distortion. Ditto for web sites like Bluesnews and others with lots of side content. Distorted images and text. Books and comics are very frustrating experiences.

Too bad the V20 display appears to be battery hungry like the V10. Sticking with the Note 4 until something else comes along. Just glad Samsung update the Note 4 to Marshmallow to make it seem new. Also the free 256GB card works nice in it :)

Still tempted with the V20, but the Note 4 has great battery life with a new battery. Too bad the Note 7 did not have a removable battery. Samsung would be losing maybe one hundred million instead of ten billion.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a Note 4 and I sold it just a few days before the second recall from Sammy went down. I bought a refurbished S7e from an ebay seller. The phone works fine but the battery is not great. It charges slower than the N7 and drains twice as quickly. I don't hate the phone but I don't love it either. I do not have an opinion on what is better, this phone or the Note 4. The Note 4 battery drained quickly as well. So, I feel like I have my Note 4, without the S pen and with the crummy battery but with a better screen with curves. Definitely not ideal. Definitely not a Note 7.

It is going to be a long year ... or however long before a Note 8 or equivalent is released. The best thing about buying this refurb is I am free to jump on the next best Note or Note type phone and I will be right there on pre order day.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My Note 4 was the same last year (went to MXPE), but updating to Marshmallow, resetting and getting a new 3220mah battery has made it good. Also makes me notice how weak the signal reception was on the Note 7. None of the LTE issues I had with the Note 7 and less battery drain, since less weak signal areas with Note 4.

Wifi also runs cooler, since seemed odd that the Note 7 ran warm when streaming or downloading with wifi.

A key BTW after updating to Marshmallow (or Nougat), is reset the device to stock and start fresh. Can be problematic otherwise with battery drain and performance issues being an issue.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing most of them never owned a Note 4 to make the comparison. Even if they did, it would be an odd comparison considering how much older the S7E is. They're most likely to compare it with a Note 7, one of the S6 series phones, maybe a Note 5. To me, the difference is clear. The S7E is, predictably, the better device as the newer of the two. Better display, more features, snappier (now), more premium design, etc. Only advantage the Note 4 really has is the S-Pen. If it's that important, stick with a Note. Though I'd go Note 5 over Note 4.
Ir blaster is nice. Flat screen much better at edges with spen. I'd take the Note 4 any day.

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do the S7E either coming from my N7. That phone just doesn't do it for me. So that's why I decided to go rouge and ordered an IP7 plus 256gig jet black and will be getting it on tuesday. The phone is wicked fast and smooth and just screams. Screen is nice as well despite having much lower res/ppi than our beloved N7. Samsung lost me with all this bs and there just was no android flagship out that I wanted right now. So IOS here I come at least till the Note 8 then we will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy