Thinking about returning my S7 edge.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I bought into the whole screen protector thing for awhile. And then I realized that it's become a billion dollar industry built off people's fears and OCD. People don't even get to enjoy their beautiful screens anymore.

Well, the SP on my 6P already saved my screen from at least a couple of dings at this point... so they've done their job. On my wife's stuff (S7 begat Note 7 begat S7E) I had not found a single protector that either a) fit worth a damn or b) covered the entire screen. So she rolled without one on her S7 and only ended up with a few superficial fine scratches on her screen that she cared little about.

crystinonfire

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So funny, I've had almost the exact opposite experience of you. My S7Edge performs so much better than my N7 did. (My N7 didn't even outperform my N5). My N7 also got insanely hot. I much prefer the performance of my S7E to the N7 that I had.... Obviously can't speak to the quality of the N7 that anyone else received.

As far as the S-pen goes, download S-Note from the galaxy app store and buy a stylus? That's what I did. Not ideal, but a livable workaround.

I couldn't deal with not having fast charge, but if you're digging your N4, no sense in keeping (or paying for) a phone you don't really like.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking the S7 edge in silver but the V20 is luring me away. I'm thinking of returning the edge very seriously. I have until the 27th to decide.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm liking the S7 edge in silver but the V20 is luring me away. I'm thinking of returning the edge very seriously. I have until the 27th to decide.
Do you use the Samsung pay feature that's not the only thing I like about it but for me it's kind of a big deal I just love being able to use it pretty much everywhere

2ndnephew

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Im palnning to buy Note7 before (and actually after) it exploded because its a great, if not superb, smartphone. But now should I settle for 7 edge? or should I wait for the s8 next year?

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If you are not satisfied with your S7E I think you should return it and use your N4 until the new 2017 phone models are released.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
So funny, I've had almost the exact opposite experience of you. My S7Edge performs so much better than my N7 did. (My N7 didn't even outperform my N5). My N7 also got insanely hot. I much prefer the performance of my S7E to the N7 that I had.... Obviously can't speak to the quality of the N7 that anyone else received.

As far as the S-pen goes, download S-Note from the galaxy app store and buy a stylus? That's what I did. Not ideal, but a livable workaround.

I couldn't deal with not having fast charge, but if you're digging your N4, no sense in keeping (or paying for) a phone you don't really like.

Agreed on the stylus deal. I got a free stylus from BB and am using that with my S7 Edge. Not ideal or perfect, but it does work. Did it on my tablets so what the heck.

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I got this s7 edge to replace my replacement note 7, and Like the title says...

I still have my note 4, it works, just dosent charge very fast, or connect to my pc (USB port issue), but I think I prefer it to this 7 edge.

Part of it is that I'm really missing the pen... never really used it on the n4, but used it a lot on the n7, and am now having withdrawls. also, this 7 edge seems quite laggy compared to both the n7 and my n4 (n4 was actually pretty snappy), battery life is abysmal compared to both n7's I had, and about equal to what I got from my n4.

HEAT! This edge gets wicked hot, the n7 barely got warm even with the vr, and the n4 only got warm when I pushed it.

screen size. I know it's not even a 1/4" smaller, but with the edges being so pronounced, and the corners so rounded, it really feels small. I'm constantly correcting my fat finger mistakes, where I rarely had to on either note.

Last but not least... I'm kinda hoping the n8 (or whatever they call it) gets released with the s8 in Feb. Being as the "X" series is supposed to drop next year, Sammy could very well fix whatever the issue is with the n7, make a few tweaks, and release it as the n8 (or whatever) at the same time as the s8, and still have another flagship release for q3/q4.... and if I stick with the s7e, I won't be able to upgrade to anything til Oct 2017.

What ya'll think?

Posted this in the edge 7 forum as well, but really wanna know what u hold outs think?

S-Notes app works on the s7 Edge and all my Note 4 S-Notes showed up. It works the same but with my finger. I need to find a pen that works on the screen.

The size sucks and edge is too sensitive but S-Notes and Pen Up should work. I want a larger phone and a pen I can't easily lose. Plus a cooler battery. The edge gets hot!

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, after much deliberation, I have reluctantly decided to keep this s7e.

I played with the n4 yesterday till it was down to 2% battery, then waited, and waited, and waited some more for it to charge. It reminded me of why I upgraded the the n7 in the first place, and having to go from just over an hour, to over 8 hours to fully charge isn't gonna fly.

I also did the math, and if I hang on to the s7e till march, or April, and they release a s8 with a pen it will only cost me a few bucks to pay off what I will need to be at half on the s7e, allowing me to upgrade, so that seems worth it.

What I will do, is keep my n4 powered on, and plugged in in my car while I'm working, this way if I need to jot something down right quick, it's right there.

Not ideal, but best case scenario for now I guess.

ETA: Ive been on the lg train, and it left a foul taste in my mouth... so not going that route, and the pixel just dosent seem like much of an upgrade, so thats the way she goes boys...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
During the first recall, I purposely got the S7edge loaner in the color that I wanted to see if I could live with it just in case N7 replacements never came out..... The experience wasn't bad but not good enough to use as an alternative. It felt like I was using a N7 knockoff. Reminded me too much of what I no longer had..
So during this second recall, I absolutely knew I wasn't going to switch and pay for a S7edge. If I never experienced the N7, it could've worked for me...

That's exactly my experience. The S7 edge is close enough to the Note to remind me of the Note, but just enough different that it's like a torture device reminding me of what I lost. There was NOTHING about the S7 edge that I enjoyed as much or more than my Note 7. Everything was close, but not quite. However, if I never owned the Note 7 I am confident that I would have loved the S7 edge, just like you stated.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, here's what I have finally decided....

I bought one of these ....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5513040

For my note 4...

If I can install it without breaking the screen, and it works, I'm returning this s7e.

If I make matters worse during the process, or it just dosent fix my issue, I'll keep the s7e.

The board should be here Monday, leaving me 2 days to return within the 14 day window.

Wish me luck!

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly my experience. The S7 edge is close enough to the Note to remind me of the Note, but just enough different that it's like a torture device reminding me of what I lost. There was NOTHING about the S7 edge that I enjoyed as much or more than my Note 7. Everything was close, but not quite. However, if I never owned the Note 7 I am confident that I would have loved the S7 edge, just like you stated.

Interesting post: I had the S7 edge as loaner and it was to me just close enough, and I had it in the color that suited me enough and I knew if I had to keep it I would be okay with it and I did replace it with the same color S7 edge. I have grown to love my S7 edge just fine now and it's doing what I need. I certainly miss the S pen, but the thing is-there is still no other phone out there that has that EITHER so for me, the S7 edge comes closest for me and performs the functions I want in a phone. I found that I really, really, love having the convenience of the edge screen too-use it constantly. I did not want to give that up. But I love how you said torture device-to remind you what you lost with the Note 7. LOL of course I still miss my Note 7 but I'm happy now with my S7 edge.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting post: I had the S7 edge as loaner and it was to me just close enough, and I had it in the color that suited me enough and I knew if I had to keep it I would be okay with it and I did replace it with the same color S7 edge. I have grown to love my S7 edge just fine now and it's doing what I need. I certainly miss the S pen, but the thing is-there is still no other phone out there that has that EITHER so for me, the S7 edge comes closest for me and performs the functions I want in a phone. I found that I really, really, love having the convenience of the edge screen too-use it constantly. I did not want to give that up. But I love how you said torture device-to remind you what you lost with the Note 7. LOL of course I still miss my Note 7 but I'm happy now with my S7 edge.

I probably would be as well, until the Note 8 gets announced. Then the S7 edge will begin to burn a hole in my pocket (figuratively speaking) until I was able to get back to a Note. So I am sticking with my Note 4 until I know more about the timing of a Note 8.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Idk if its just me, but my S7 Edge battery is MUCH better than my Note 7
I do miss the Pen and Grace UI though, but pretty much everything else is the same so I can deal with this until the next Note comes arounf

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So, after much deliberation, I have reluctantly decided to keep this s7e.

I played with the n4 yesterday till it was down to 2% battery, then waited, and waited, and waited some more for it to charge. It reminded me of why I upgraded the the n7 in the first place, and having to go from just over an hour, to over 8 hours to fully charge isn't gonna fly.

What about picking up a used Note 5 with 64gb of storage? It doesn't have the IP68 or SD card but still a great device with S-Pen.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
What about picking up a used Note 5 with 64gb of storage? It doesn't have the IP68 or SD card but still a great device with S-Pen.

I've been looking on a few sites for them but the 64GB versions in good condition are going for quite a bit of money, more than I think they are worth. I'm sure this has to do with the whole Note 7 fiasco driving up the price.

StLucia

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Heya, Rushmore,
So my "new" N4 arrives today. Are you saying I should update to MM before installing apps? Also, what about using Smart Switch? Is that some kind of a hindrance on performance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox