Always on display update

MikeRotch76

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Really though, battery drain aside, it really is a fairly useless feature as it is implemented on this phone so I could understand turning it off

Just because it's not useful for you, it doesn't mean it's useless. Since I don't wear a watch, and always have my phone with me, I really like being able to glance at my phone and seeing what time it is without having to pick it up and push a button or tap the screen to "wake it".

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've disabled it now. I consider the 1% per hour still far too high. If you have it on battery for 10hrs then that's 10% battery drain for not much convenience. They really need to reduce that to at least 0.5%/hr
That's about normal drainage for 10 hrs standby anyways.

I just don't use AOD because I just have no use for it. I took my S7 Edge off the charger when I got home last night and after being on standby for 7 hrs, 41 minutes, the battery is at 92% with AOD off. I see no problem with the amount of battery AOD is using that people are saying it is using.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
You would think getting this app as functional as the Note 7's version of the app would be a high priority, considering many Note 7 owners are being forced to "downgrade" to an S7E. Why is Samsung not on this? This is my first Samsung phone - I REALLY like the phone, but speed of updates will be a major factor in whether I get a second Samsung phone in a few years. I don't need next-day updates, but knowing the Note 7 had 3rd party app support in the AOD and that the S7Edge still doesn't is pretty frustrating. This literally is Samsung's flagship right now.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Even if they reduced it to .5%/hr, that's not low enough for me. That's like 12% in 24 hrs!! WAY TOO MUCH DRAIN. Think about all the extra things I can do with that extra .5% per hour.

I would want it to be .25%/hr, THEN I would use!
Just plug your phone in for 10 minutes during the day and you'll get your 12% back. If you are off the electrical grid and looking to save as much battery as possible, then maybe it's not a good idea. Otherwise, why not, if you find it useful.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Not useless for me. I have it on in the wee hours of the morning so that I can roll over without getting up or wiping my eyes, and know exactly the time of morning.

Just because it's not useful for you, it doesn't mean it's useless. Since I don't wear a watch, and always have my phone with me, I really like being able to glance at my phone and seeing what time it is without having to pick it up and push a button or tap the screen to "wake it".

OK, let me modify/clarify how it's useless for me. If you are one of those people that doesn't wear a watch and uses your cell phone as a watch then that's great. And if you are just using it for the night clock, save that 10% of day drain and just open the clock app at night and its night mode. You could even set this as an auto function with something like Tasker or Locale to automatically come on in some form. I'm not really that concerned about the 1% myself, but it's an idea.

I came from a long line of Droids with their active display and more recently the Note7. I was upset when I had my first phone that didn't have an LED because I hadn't yet appreciated how useful having notifications on the active screen was. No need to unlock your phone if there wasn't anything to see and if there was I could get straight into it from the lock screen. So the AOD on the S7E is useless for me the respect of notifications. Why they don't just put the N7 version on this phone I have no idea. It was one of the reasons I bought the N7 over this phone initially, as I really had no need for the pen.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I'd seen some articles on the update that Google Now told me about, but otherwise how was I suppose to know? I tried both updating the phone under settings and updating apps in the playstore and neither method found the update. It wasn't until I remembered to go into Settings - display - AOD and update it from there that I found it.

I've noticed this also. For some reason, you cannot find AOD in the Galaxy App store. The previous update, I shared the app info to my email and, for awhile, I could click that link and it would take me to the app in the Galaxy store.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Not useless for me. I have it on in the wee hours of the morning so that I can roll over without getting up or wiping my eyes, and know exactly the time of morning.
That's how I use mine, I set the hours 10pm to 7am so I can see what time it is when I roll over like you, but it is also on my wireless charger being charged to. Untill third party notifications come it's useless during the day wasting battery for me.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
That's how I use mine, I set the hours 10pm to 7am so I can see what time it is when I roll over like you, but it is also on my wireless charger being charged to. Untill third party notifications come it's useless during the day wasting battery for me.

Yeah, I have it off during the day as well. I think the extras will come to the phone soon, and I'm fine with that.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I find the AOD useful at any time, in fact its one of the best bits of the phone IMO. At night the illuminated click is great, at day I can see if there are messages waiting without clicking a button and just a glance shows me how much battery is left. This is helping enormously in keeping mine topped up which I often used to forget to do. I also have the numbers in different colours and it helps me know which phone is which, I have one gold and one silver (business and personal), but the colours are very similar in some lights and in the dark at night. My biggest gripe on all other phones was needing to switch them off standby just to check the battery. The AOD solves the problem completely and I'm very happy with it.

Only SMS messages though. People rarely use them these days.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
SMS messages are very important to me and are the only messages I use. Every one that I send any from of instant text to uses and responds to me through SMS. I see no reason not to use them when all the texts you could want are included in the regular monthly amount I pay. The people I text are my extended family and occasionally my boss. Contrary to popular belief there are still sectors of the population who are not on FB or other forms of social networking sites. I am in that group! I also can't see the point of something like whatsapp when I never get close to excceding my data, calls and text linits

SMS notifications are therefore the only ones I Need.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
SMS messages are very important to me and are the only messages I use. Every one that I send any from of instant text to uses and responds to me through SMS. I see no reason not to use them when all the texts you could want are included in the regular monthly amount I pay. The people I text are my extended family and occasionally my boss. Contrary to popular belief there are still sectors of the population who are not on FB or other forms of social networking sites. I am in that group! I also can't see the point of something like whatsapp when I never get close to excceding my data, calls and text linits

SMS notifications are therefore the only ones I Need.
I use SMS over Facebook anytime for messaging. Facebook really is getting to be a waste of time

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I use SMS I find the FB Messenger useless. Plus it's loaded with Spyware. Everyone I know uses the SMS. I like using it because I can custom theme it now. Samsung better put out third party support soon. I like using it for my e mail and Spotify...

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
That's not been my experience, attachments of all descriptions seem to function fine for me, perhaps it depends on where in the world we all are? However, it pleases me to see that I am not alone in still using SMS and at least the AOD notifier works well for those of us using it :)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use whatsapp to send video, seems an app like this is the only way to send video. And you can send pictures without them being degraded.

In my world people still use SMS/MMS more, they wouldn't know what I was talking about if I mentioned whatsapp, even though it would be better, they would not do it. So I have my family install whatsapp and mainly use it to send videos and pictures that we don't want degraded, for fast picture shares we just use MMS.

My biggest complaint with Android is not being able to send videos thru email. It's our data let us use it the way we want to. If it's possible with whatsapp, then it's possible with email to.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I use whatsapp to send video, seems an app like this is the only way to send video. And you can send pictures without them being degraded.

In my world people still use SMS/MMS more, they wouldn't know what I was talking about if I mentioned whatsapp, even though it would be better, they would not do it. So I have my family install whatsapp and mainly use it to send videos and pictures that we don't want degraded, for fast picture shares we just use MMS.

My biggest complaint with Android is not being able to send videos thru email. It's our data let us use it the way we want to. If it's possible with whatsapp, then it's possible with email to.
I do the same exact thing as you. I have my fam download whatsapp on their iPhones and send them videos. They always forget to use it when they send videos which is annoying bc they have the amazing iMessage. The fact that mms still downgrades quality is ridiculous... We are almost in 2017, it has to be implemented better!

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
There's no pleasing some ...

Considering how much of the screen is actually on, it's a pretty high drain

That's about normal drainage for 10 hrs standby anyways.

It's on top of standard drain though. I'm typically getting 0.5% per hour on standby with it off which is fine. But adding an extra 1% per hour on top of the standard idle drain soon mounts up.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the camp of SMS only for instant communications as I am apparently the most tech savvy of my friends and family (and that's not saying much). And it almost seems we could make this its own thread so forgive me for continuing to derail this one...but for those of you (us) using SMS only, for sharing videos or larger pictures, has anyone considered something like Dropbox or Drive sharing? So sending a link? I know it's not quite the same but this would mean asking friends and family to download one thing one time and then you could use whatever method of communication you want and they'd still be able to access a shared link. I personally have not done this as I think I've just given up on everyone else, but just wondered about you all.

I'm pretty happy with the stock messaging so the fact that AOD doesn't have third party support is o.k. with me. Having said that, I'm not using AOD on this phone. I did use it on the Note 7 so maybe I was using that third party support more than I realized. I use Light Flow for LED colors so that pretty much tells me what type of reminder or notification I have at a glance.