Always on display update

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the camp of SMS only for instant communications as I am apparently the most tech savvy of my friends and family (and that's not saying much). And it almost seems we could make this its own thread so forgive me for continuing to derail this one...but for those of you (us) using SMS only, for sharing videos or larger pictures, has anyone considered something like Dropbox or Drive sharing? So sending a link? I know it's not quite the same but this would mean asking friends and family to download one thing one time and then you could use whatever method of communication you want and they'd still be able to access a shared link. I personally have not done this as I think I've just given up on everyone else, but just wondered about you all.

I'm pretty happy with the stock messaging so the fact that AOD doesn't have third party support is o.k. with me. Having said that, I'm not using AOD on this phone. I did use it on the Note 7 so maybe I was using that third party support more than I realized. I use Light Flow for LED colors so that pretty much tells me what type of reminder or notification I have at a glance.

Light flow does some weird stuff with led colours.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
SMS messages are very important to me and are the only messages I use. Every one that I send any from of instant text to uses and responds to me through SMS. I see no reason not to use them when all the texts you could want are included in the regular monthly amount I pay. The people I text are my extended family and occasionally my boss. Contrary to popular belief there are still sectors of the population who are not on FB or other forms of social networking sites. I am in that group! I also can't see the point of something like whatsapp when I never get close to excceding my data, calls and text linits

SMS notifications are therefore the only ones I Need.

You don't email or use your calendar, huh?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I use SMS I find the FB Messenger useless. Plus it's loaded with Spyware. Everyone I know uses the SMS. I like using it because I can custom theme it now. Samsung better put out third party support soon. I like using it for my e mail and Spotify...

What spyware does it have?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
For me, email and calendar both put an icon in the notification bar and Light Flow gives me a red led for calendar events. I don't want or need to see the email notification as an led or immediate notification.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
What spyware does it have?
It can look into everything on the phone. I forget the name of the spyware but it was a pretty big issue a few months ago. Since then a lot of people stopped using it. I don't like that it can get all of your contacts and group them together in one section. More then once I had to deselect the option for the contacts and the next day it would be selected again.

As for SMS I use it to send pictures all the time. Nothing it downgraded. The picture quality is the same. I also used it for videos twice and it was also fine.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It can look into everything on the phone. I forget the name of the spyware but it was a pretty big issue a few months ago. Since then a lot of people stopped using it. I don't like that it can get all of your contacts and group them together in one section. More then once I had to deselect the option for the contacts and the next day it would be selected again.

As for SMS I use it to send pictures all the time. Nothing it downgraded. The picture quality is the same. I also used it for videos twice and it was also fine.
Sending pictures thru SMS/MMS does downgrade the picture. If the person your sending the picture to does not plan to blow it up or print it then it will be fine.

Backing pictures up to the cloud downgrades the pictures, that's why on the Google pixle getting unlimited full resolution cloud storage is a big deal.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I like the Always On Display feature because I don't wear a watch. I like being able to look at my phone (especially at night) and see what time it is without waking the screen.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Sending pictures thru SMS/MMS does downgrade the picture. If the person your sending the picture to does not plan to blow it up or print it then it will be fine.

Backing pictures up to the cloud downgrades the pictures, that's why on the Google pixle getting unlimited full resolution cloud storage is a big deal.

I have printed out pictures before with no problems of quality of the photo.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
One that was sent thru MMS. Blow it up and see how it looks after sent thru MMS

Look I'm not going to argue with you about this. I've printed out photo with their original size and everything looked fine. Blowing up a picture will always lose quality because it's not meant to be blown up.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Not arguing, just was curious if you were talking about MMS. It's not a secret that sending thru MMS is compressed. It really isn't a big deal unless you want high quality pictures sent, MMS is not the way, but for me most the time MMS is fine.

But anyway, we are way off topic of this post. It's all good

f6a2f51739768f039e9c017522f22a47.jpg

Rakesh Kaloya15

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
hello! my screen is not going pure dark on always on display... preview of always on screen theme is good and the backuground is pure dark, but when i lock the screen, it looks little bit grey colored background.
how can i fix it? i'm on new firmware (1.4.02)
Did you find any fix for this.. i am facing the same problem. It is same for night clock too after the update..

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
My phone already goes down 1% almost every hour so what's the difference if I have the AOD on or not? lol. I feel like there's no difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781