01-29-2017 10:32 PM
57 123
tools
    Just had an update via Galaxy Apps which has brought the S7 Edge AOD in line with how the Note 7's was (bar the explosiveness, natch).
    10-16-2016 11:08 AM
    Just had an update via Galaxy Apps which has brought the S7 Edge AOD in line with how the Note 7's was (bar the explosiveness, natch).
    No, its still not on par with that of Note 7. I don't see alerts except for missed calls and messages. No WhatsApp, Instagram or Email.
    kojak likes this.
    10-16-2016 11:59 AM
    You're quite right. I got too excited by the extra clock faces.
    amyf27 likes this.
    10-16-2016 12:32 PM
    You're quite right. I got too excited by the extra clock faces.
    It all will come Android 7.
    10-16-2016 02:01 PM
    I'd seen some articles on the update that Google Now told me about, but otherwise how was I suppose to know? I tried both updating the phone under settings and updating apps in the playstore and neither method found the update. It wasn't until I remembered to go into Settings - display - AOD and update it from there that I found it.
    10-16-2016 08:13 PM
    Updated under settings. TMobile
    kojak likes this.
    10-16-2016 08:24 PM
    And really, what's the point of the update anyway? I can't tell a difference and I still don't have notifications on the AOD screen.
    10-16-2016 08:31 PM
    And really, what's the point of the update anyway? I can't tell a difference and I still don't have notifications on the AOD screen.
    There was also better battery optimization in the update
    10-16-2016 09:11 PM
    hello! my screen is not going pure dark on always on display... preview of always on screen theme is good and the backuground is pure dark, but when i lock the screen, it looks little bit grey colored background.
    how can i fix it? i'm on new firmware (1.4.02)
    Haider_ally likes this.
    10-17-2016 03:48 AM
    The main differences I notice are it now shows the battery icon underneath the time (it was above before) and the name of the song that's currently playing now appears below that.

Except there's a bug: "Big City Nights - Scorpions" seems to be stuck in there and is always showing when there is no song playing. When a song is actually playing the correct name shows up though. And still no third-party app notification icons.

I don't get it - what's so hard about back-porting the Note 7 version of the AOD in its entirety? Why are they doing it piecemeal and introducing new bugs?
    Lyspaere likes this.
    10-17-2016 07:17 AM
    The main differences I notice are it now shows the battery icon underneath the time (it was above before) and the name of the song that's currently playing now appears below that.

Except there's a bug: "Big City Nights - Scorpions" seems to be stuck in there and is always showing when there is no song playing. When a song is actually playing the correct name shows up though. And still no third-party app notification icons.

I don't get it - what's so hard about back-porting the Note 7 version of the AOD in its entirety? Why are they doing it piecemeal and introducing new bugs?
    Its still pretty useless. And yea, I don't understand since its pretty much the same phone why they can't just update it.
    10-18-2016 11:52 PM
    Just in case it hasn't been spotted I thought it was pretty clever that you could tap the clock that you want and change colours and backgrounds for it. In fact I wonder if the person that was getting a glow from their black screen actually has a AOD background switched on. They are very subtle. Now if only I could work out how to colourise my main screen clock widget I 'd be happy!
    10-19-2016 05:33 PM
    It really is kind of baffling that there still is not support for 3rd party apps. I'm largely getting used to this coming from my Note 7 but I'm really missing the 3rd party notifications a lot. Come on Samsung.
    10-19-2016 05:52 PM
    I updated the AOD on my S7 Edge, the only change I've noticed is that the song that is currently playing, using Apple Music shows up under the time.
    10-19-2016 06:13 PM
    I updated the AOD on my S7 Edge, the only change I've noticed is that the song that is currently playing, using Apple Music shows up under the time.
    I'm getting the same with PowerAmp.
    10-19-2016 06:15 PM
    I've disabled it now. I consider the 1% per hour still far too high. If you have it on battery for 10hrs then that's 10% battery drain for not much convenience. They really need to reduce that to at least 0.5%/hr
    Abbers727 likes this.
    10-19-2016 07:25 PM
    I've disabled it now. I consider the 1% per hour still far too high. If you have it on battery for 10hrs then that's 10% battery drain for not much convenience. They really need to reduce that to at least 0.5%/hr
    There's no pleasing some ...
    10-20-2016 02:30 AM
    Really though, battery drain aside, it really is a fairly useless feature as it is implemented on this phone so I could understand turning it off
    10-20-2016 08:20 AM
    Really though, battery drain aside, it really is a fairly useless feature as it is implemented on this phone so I could understand turning it off
    Not useless for me. I have it on in the wee hours of the morning so that I can roll over without getting up or wiping my eyes, and know exactly the time of morning.
    ABOSWORTH007 likes this.
    10-20-2016 08:25 AM
    Even if they reduced it to .5%/hr, that's not low enough for me. That's like 12% in 24 hrs!! WAY TOO MUCH DRAIN. Think about all the extra things I can do with that extra .5% per hour.

I would want it to be .25%/hr, THEN I would use!
    lammy8 likes this.
    10-20-2016 08:30 AM
    Just because it's not useful for you, it doesn't mean it's useless. Since I don't wear a watch, and always have my phone with me, I really like being able to glance at my phone and seeing what time it is without having to pick it up and push a button or tap the screen to "wake it".
    Alan Sims likes this.
    10-20-2016 08:31 AM
    That's about normal drainage for 10 hrs standby anyways.

I just don't use AOD because I just have no use for it. I took my S7 Edge off the charger when I got home last night and after being on standby for 7 hrs, 41 minutes, the battery is at 92% with AOD off. I see no problem with the amount of battery AOD is using that people are saying it is using.
    10-20-2016 09:22 AM
    You would think getting this app as functional as the Note 7's version of the app would be a high priority, considering many Note 7 owners are being forced to "downgrade" to an S7E. Why is Samsung not on this? This is my first Samsung phone - I REALLY like the phone, but speed of updates will be a major factor in whether I get a second Samsung phone in a few years. I don't need next-day updates, but knowing the Note 7 had 3rd party app support in the AOD and that the S7Edge still doesn't is pretty frustrating. This literally is Samsung's flagship right now.
    optimummind and Alan Sims like this.
    10-20-2016 09:34 AM
    Even if they reduced it to .5%/hr, that's not low enough for me. That's like 12% in 24 hrs!! WAY TOO MUCH DRAIN. Think about all the extra things I can do with that extra .5% per hour.

I would want it to be .25%/hr, THEN I would use!
    Just plug your phone in for 10 minutes during the day and you'll get your 12% back. If you are off the electrical grid and looking to save as much battery as possible, then maybe it's not a good idea. Otherwise, why not, if you find it useful.
    10-20-2016 10:32 AM
    Not useless for me. I have it on in the wee hours of the morning so that I can roll over without getting up or wiping my eyes, and know exactly the time of morning.
    Just because it's not useful for you, it doesn't mean it's useless. Since I don't wear a watch, and always have my phone with me, I really like being able to glance at my phone and seeing what time it is without having to pick it up and push a button or tap the screen to "wake it".
    OK, let me modify/clarify how it's useless for me. If you are one of those people that doesn't wear a watch and uses your cell phone as a watch then that's great. And if you are just using it for the night clock, save that 10% of day drain and just open the clock app at night and its night mode. You could even set this as an auto function with something like Tasker or Locale to automatically come on in some form. I'm not really that concerned about the 1% myself, but it's an idea.

I came from a long line of Droids with their active display and more recently the Note7. I was upset when I had my first phone that didn't have an LED because I hadn't yet appreciated how useful having notifications on the active screen was. No need to unlock your phone if there wasn't anything to see and if there was I could get straight into it from the lock screen. So the AOD on the S7E is useless for me the respect of notifications. Why they don't just put the N7 version on this phone I have no idea. It was one of the reasons I bought the N7 over this phone initially, as I really had no need for the pen.
    10-20-2016 11:02 AM
57 123